The Mini Hatchet

I haven't been considering those that are hung tomahawk style. I wanted a nice palm swell. But you're right. Since the handle is straight, I can cut it to whatever length I want. Also, I was hoping for high carbon steel. The Calabria has "spring steel". I don't know what that means.

Rinaldi's steel is a trade secret, but the limited composition info they were willing to divulge to me indicates that it's basically a modified spring steel with added carbon. It's a full-blown high carbon steel rather than the typical medium-carbon of common spring steels, but otherwise formulated like a spring steel. They run it at 58 RC so they're good and hard in the bit. The nice thing about slip-fit handles is that you can easily remove a broken handle in the field, and use multiple handles of different lengths on the same head. No wedging is needed, so if field fashioning a handle you don't need a saw or take the risk of splitting your "kerf" instead, and if the head ever loosens you just drive it further into the eye. And if you decide you do want to wedge-fit it, it's still possible to do so. It's just a little more finicky in the fitting than eyes designed exclusively for wedge-fitting, and in Italy it's common to find heads hafted in either style. :)

Yeah, let's see a photo of the eye & edge geometry, if you can.

Will this one be for sale, or are ya keeping it?

Id like to see a top down too. I can pretty much tell I like it from the side pic though.
Very nice!

This is a small belt axe made by a friend of mine. It's patterned after the Ft. Miegs or Kentucky belt axe circa 1760 to 1820. The handle w/blade is 12" long and the head is 4 1/2" long by 1 1/2" tall.[im
wSYkCzG.jpg
g]https://i.imgur.com/HvWHmRK.jpg[/img]

Thanks, I think he did a great job on it. It was the first hatchet blade he made. I got the handle from a hardware store and whittled it down to fit. It will see a lot of use come hunting season.

I have a GB outdoor axe, it's my only GB. It's a really impressive little thing. Not worth the price, a definite luxury item. But I think the utility of the form factor is exactly as ol' Horace's notes on the matter. It's super freaking handy, and extraordinarily capable for its size. The metal collar aids in splitting wider pieces than it otherwise would, but I don't know how to rehang it (yet) :D Hopefully time will never come, it's got a gorgeous heartwood haft. And I'll be moving to some American steel as soon as I find something that tickles the same spot.

It's probably a piece that's been mentioned in this thread, but that's my 2¢ on the matter.

Rehandled a Gransfors Bruks Outdoor axe. The head weight was 11.3 oz for anyone interested and it was a royal pain to haft due to the eye shape. If I could do it again I'd take a file to the eye first.

Gransfors Outdoor Axe Maple Handle by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Gransfors Outdoor Axe eye by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Gransfors Outdoor Axe eye Light by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Hatchets GB Outdoor by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Side One Start by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Side One Midway by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Spokeshave by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Minis! by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Mini Profiles by MJGEGB, on Flickr

GB Outdoor 6 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

GB Outdoor 5 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

GB Outdoor 4 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

GB Outdoor Axe Maple Handle 2 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

GB Outdoor Axe Maple Handle 1 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

GB Outdoor Axe handle 1 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Outdoor X 10 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

The Vaughan mini that started it all sumited a few more mountains with me

Three Ridges Loop Overnighter by MJGEGB, on Flickr

And last but not least I finally pulled the trigger on a Rinaldi Calabria hand axe. So FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades if you noticed an order for one that just came in that one will end up in this thread ;)

Yikes, haven't updated this thread since last year. Flickr locking down free accounts put a damper on my posting here, sorry guys. Anyway I've started messing around with my Rinaldi Calabria Hand Axe again. All this thing needs is a better handle. And with a 12.8 oz head I think this thing is at the top end of what would be considered a mini hatchet/hawk.

Back