The Mini Hatchet

As HnS stated the Vaughans and Vaughan/Craftsmans were advertised as 8 oz. heads. gonna be putting the little collins to use, I hope the handle

Yeah they're for sure tiny little things aren't they, seeing it next to a bill as Hickory n steel Hickory n steel posted really helps put it into perspective of just how tiny the vaughan heads are.
My Collins is for sure much bigger then the vaughan... only about an inch shorter then a bill and actually has a wider edge then a bills width (assuming Canadian bills are roughly the same size as American's)

I'm gonna use my Collins Mini Michigan as a belt hatchet, mainly carving and tent peg pounding so I doubt i'll ever break the handle but who knows, if I do ever happen to have to replace the handle then I'll try my best to come back and update with the head weight at that time... for good ol' documentation sake... size it does still have a mini hatchet eye.

I've found various axe/hatchet forum discussions and of course YT vary useful over the years to build up the little knowledge I have at this point, so I want to begin contributing back myself the best I can here on BF... what's the fun in collecting cool interesting axe and hatchets but not showing them and discussing related topics with those that appreciate it most.

By the way, I've just got to say, thank you for your continued contribution to these forums over the years S Square_peg your name is a standout to me as someone that's viewed the forums from afar for a few years now... as are a few others names that come up vary often when doing various axe and hatchet related research on this site, but truly without your contributions over the years there could be much more lingering axe and hatchet related questions out there, so just want to say thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge and information here over the years it's vary much appreciated by myself.... and i'm sure many others on the forum and many casual browsers of these forums.

But back to topic on hand... what do you have for mini hatchets these days in your collection square peg? can we get some updated photos, if you happen to have any newer minis kicking around you haven't posted here yet.

I'm not sure if I ever posted my marbles " saddle cruiser ", but I have another coming and will post both when it arrives.

If you're not familiar they're a double bit in the mini weight class, made for Marbles by Imicasa in El salvador ( the parent company of Condor ).
In my experience the steel is good and everything, but they are inexpensive and definitely not perfect.
The eye on my first was drifted a little off so I rehung it with the head upside down, that completely resolved the issue and it has been a great tool the past few years I've had it.

I've never owned or even seen one of these mini hatchets in the metal. Lately however, they've intrigued me. I now have a vintage Craftsman mini hatchet on the way that I found on line. My plan is to restore it to a razor sharp user, mostly for around the house and to take on short outings. Today, I held a small ball peen hammer from my toolbox and imagined it was a small hatchet. If the mini hatchet feels anything like the small hammer I was swinging, I have to believe that the speed and control you can generate from the lighter weight, coupled with a proper edge, will make this a very capable little tool. I'll find out soon.

The second marbles is a ways out so heres the first one.

As always the bit profile is thicker that most single bits, but it's better than about any other saddle cruiser available today.
Maybe the CT saddle axe, but those are a much larger head.

It would be cool if Imicasa released a nicer version under the condor line.

Last edited:
Well, my Sears Craftsman mini hatchet arrived today via USPS Flat Rate mailer. I must say; when I took the package out of the mailbox, it felt VERY light. I was expecting small, but even so, I was a bit surprised when I opened the envelope and saw just how little this axe is. However, within minutes, I could really see a reason for owning this little guy. I tried removing some bark from a big live oak: check. I split some pieces of wood as if making kindling: check. Tried some feather sticking/light carving: check. All this with a not-so-sharp edge.

My original intent was to restore this one. But, it might be in good enough condition to just sharpen up and use as is. The original handle was the tiniest bit loose so I tapped it in tight, and then drove-in the metal wedge a bit with a small punch. It feels nice and tight now. This one doesn't look like it's been sharpened much, if at all. The poll is in perfect condition with no signs of abuse. I like everything about it, especially the way that it fits right in the pocket while still packing some real usability. I'm not kidding myself about its capabilities, but what a nice hatchet to have when you don't feel like carrying a hatchet.

My main question to all of you: would you put a good edge on this one and call it a day, or would you restore it? I found a Rustoleum paint color (Satin Moss Green) that looks like a dead ringer for this old Craftsman green. Whether I restore it or not, I plan to either purchase a back-up handle from Vaughan or make one myself out of hickory. Also, do you know of someone who makes a sheath/mask for this little axe? I would appreciate any and all input and ideas. Here's a quick picture of the hatchet:

IMG_0851.JPG

Well, my Sears Craftsman mini hatchet arrived today via USPS Flat Rate mailer. I must say; when I took the package out of the mailbox, it felt VERY light. I was expecting small, but even so, I was a bit surprised when I opened the envelope and saw just how little this axe is. However, within minutes, I could really see a reason for owning this little guy. I tried removing some bark from a big live oak: check. I split some pieces of wood as if making kindling: check. Tried some feather sticking/light carving: check. All this with a not-so-sharp edge.

My original intent was to restore this one. But, it might be in good enough condition to just sharpen up and use as is. The original handle was the tiniest bit loose so I tapped it in tight, and then drove-in the metal wedge a bit with a small punch. It feels nice and tight now. This one doesn't look like it's been sharpened much, if at all. The poll is in perfect condition with no signs of abuse. I like everything about it, especially the way that it fits right in the pocket while still packing some real usability. I'm not kidding myself about its capabilities, but what a nice hatchet to have when you don't feel like carrying a hatchet.

My main question to all of you: would you put a good edge on this one and call it a day, or would you restore it? I found a Rustoleum paint color (Satin Moss Green) that looks like a dead ringer for this old Craftsman green. Whether I restore it or not, I plan to either purchase a back-up handle from Vaughan or make one myself out of hickory. Also, do you know of someone who makes a sheath/mask for this little axe? I would appreciate any and all input and ideas. Here's a quick picture of the hatchet:

View attachment 1661029
All it needs is a good edge.
Maybe take some WD and steel wool to the few rust spots ( or a dremel wire wheel ), but like with anything I wouldn't fully strip / sand and repaint to look like new or anything.
I just mention that because I don't know if you have the YouTube definition of " restoration " or the basic refurbishment that we stick to here.

As you say they're perfect for when you don't really need or want to bring a hatchet, you can drop one of these into the pocket of a Mackinaw or wool barn jacket no problem and forget about it.

All it needs is a good edge.
Maybe take some WD and steel wool to the few rust spots ( or a dremel wire wheel ), but like with anything I wouldn't fully strip / sand and repaint to look like new or anything.
I just mention that because I don't know if you have the YouTube definition of " restoration " or the basic refurbishment that we stick to here.

As you say they're perfect for when you don't really need or want to bring a hatchet, you can drop one of these into the pocket of a Mackinaw or wool barn jacket no problem and forget about it.
This and as A17 suggested, is along the line of where I'm leaning with this particular tool. I'd just like to get the edge nice and sharp, and know that the handle is reliable. As it stands right now, it feels very useable. I don't think I want to lose that comfort by over-restoring it. I sure would like to find a well-fitting mask for this little guy. Thanks for the responses.

This and as A17 suggested, is along the line of where I'm leaning with this particular tool. I'd just like to get the edge nice and sharp, and know that the handle is reliable. As it stands right now, it feels very useable. I don't think I want to lose that comfort by over-restoring it. I sure would like to find a well-fitting mask for this little guy. Thanks for the responses.
For pocket or pack carry, just get a bag of" leather remnants " and some waxed nylon thread from the local Micheals or other craft store and you can throw one of these together in a few minutes.

You can use leather lace, an old boot lace, paracord, or in my case a piece of elastic shock cord I had laying around.

You can use an old fork to mark your evenly spaced holes, and drill or punch them out.

I have a cheap set of basic leather working tools , but the first stuff started making for my own personal use as a teenager was from bags of scrap and I made do with tools I had.

Last edited:
If you want I can throw something together for you.
I'd just need the bit width since these little Vaughan hatchets aren't exactly consistent.

If I made it to fit one of mine it would probably fit yours just fine, but you never know.

For pocket or pack carry, just get a bag of" leather remnants " and some waxed nylon thread from the local Micheals or other craft store and you can throw one of these together in a few minutes.

You can use leather lace, an a boot lace, paracord, or in my case a piece of elastic shock cord I had laying around.

You can use an old fork to mark your evenly spaced holes, and drill or punch them out.

I have a cheap set of basic leather working tools , but the first stuff started making for my own personal use as a teenager was from bags of scrap and I made do with tools I had.
If you want I can throw something together for you.
I'd just need the bit width since these little Vaughan hatchets aren't exactly consistent.

If I made it to fit one of mine it would probably fit yours just fine, but you never know.
That's a truly generous gesture, but I couldn't impose. Besides, just your suggestion and ideas were enough to get the creative juices flowing. I don't know why it never occurred to me to make one myself, but here I go. I'm pretty handy and I think I'll try this. Again, I appreciate the kind offer, but you've already given me something better; you've shown me how.

Pablo

That's a truly generous gesture, but I couldn't impose. Besides, just your suggestion and ideas were enough to get the creative juices flowing. I don't know why it never occurred to me to make one myself, but here I go. I'm pretty handy and I think I'll try this. Again, I appreciate the kind offer, but you've already given me something better; you've shown me how.

Pablo
Make sure to post your results.

View attachment 1661029
If the handle is comfortable sharpen it and use it. When you don't want the extra weight it's a good compromise. It will take an excellent edge. It's not my 1st choice for slicing tomatoes but I wanted to test the newly stropped edge, didn't take much more than it's own weight to slice it.
Ys5AJWS.jpeg
Here's a link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-mini-hatchet.1325146/page-12 to an earlier post showing the process to slim down a full size hatchet handle, my hands are large so it is worthwhile for me. I did the longest one for a friend who carries it bow hunting, he says it does a good job skinning deer. Here's 3 together before I gave the center one to my friend. The company I bought the sheaths from no longer stock them.
Craftsman had a square poll and a round poll. I don't believe the square polls were hardened.

Enjoy your new mini!

AfPIW4N.jpeg

It's a versatile little hatchet but a 1.25 lb is a better chopper and splitter.
Definitely versatile, you can basically always carry it which you can't really say for a 1.25, and it sure beats the heck out of misusing a modestly sized belt knife by bashing on it.

I like to take mine fishing with me in case I need to cut a forked stick to rest my fishing rod on or if theres an annoying branch hanging down in my way or something ( not that it's very common ).

Definitely versatile, you can basically always carry it which you can't really say for a 1.25, and it sure beats the heck out of misusing a modestly sized belt knife by bashing on it.

I like to take mine fishing with me in case I need to cut a forked stick to rest my fishing rod on or if theres an annoying branch hanging down in my way or something ( not that it's very common ).
It is easy to carry, breezes right through branches and small limbs, choke up on it for finer tasks. Definitely better than a 6" blade or larger belt knife.

I don't know why they changed, but it's significantly thicker than my first one.

The eye is off a bit on top but perfect on the bottom and the bits run true enough.

Still I think worth the $24, but they were a bit better before and as always ideally it's best to buy in person and pick through them at the big place in Tennessee if you can.

One nice thing about this one is that the stamped bit is slightly longer with a thinner profile than the other bit, so it has the 2 different profiles like a good DB should.

at least they're still pretty much the best factory produced saddle cruiser available today, not that it's saying much considering the other options though.

Back