The Mini Hatchet

Now I know why handmade hatchets are expensive! I spent about 12 hours rasping and sanding this weekend, and I'm not done. I'm sure a professional would knock it out in a few minutes, but it's still a custom fit. When you're inexperienced head alignment is harder than it sounds, front to back, edge left to right and head tipping right to left. To re-cap, I have an 18.5 oz plumb hatchet head and an 18" handle house hickory handle.

The head wouldn't fit on the handle right out of the box, so I sanded it with a drum sander on a drill press. When I first slid the head on it was parallel to the top of the handle and the edge appeared to be pointed down somewhat, which I liked. To get the head down farther I had to sand more. The more I sanded the more the edge went up. I finally figured out that the back of the handle was pushing on the back of the eye lifting the edge, and there was too much wood under the front of the eye.

I confess, that I removed the head several times, which is probably a no no. However, this was an education and I had to figure out what I was doing wrong for the next time. At any rate, it's pretty well aligned and there's no wiggle in any direction. I still have to drop the edge a little more and set the wedge. I have one more question.

The only gap is between the top of the handle and the front of the eye. I under that traditionalists may bristle at this, but I want to fill the gap to prevent loosening. I was thinking about "hot glue" as it basically plastic, cools hard but still has some flexibility.

What do you guys think and is there something better to use? Thanks

vcbvcbvcb

Your wedge should fill the gap if I understand you correctly. Pictures are always helpful.

The pic should be here.

Top%20eye_zpsxmne58x3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Top%20eye%202_zpsrpc0xd6k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Side%20full_zpsfvyvhg2k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/vcb5/media/Bottom%20eye%20No%20gap_zpskkh4v7ss.jpg.html]
[IMG][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/vcb5/media/Alignment%20from%20bottom_zps59soekrv.jpg.html][IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn183/vcb5/Alignment%20from%20bottom_zps59soekrv.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
Bottom%20eye%20No%20gap_zpskkh4v7ss.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yup a wedge that is the same length as the eye will fill that gap better than you might expect. I don't see gaps at the bottom which is good. Is it a relatively snug fit towards the bottom of the eye?

20635687679_f23d7a69de_h.jpg

Example of a wedge longer than the handle at the top of the eye.

Yes it is. The entire head is snug, and the only gap is at the front of the eye. I was also wondering about the fore and aft tilt of the head. Should the edge be tipped down more? You'll notice in the 2nd picture that top of the handle sticking out of the eye is slanted downward compared to the top of the head. I was thinking that they should be parallel, no?

Note that the top of the handle on your example above, has gone past level and is tilting the edge downward. Is that what I should go for as an optimal chopping angle?

Nope, in my opinion your hang looks good. The reason mine looks the way it does is because it is curvy as I could make it and I removed as much of the shoulder as possible.

Yes it is. The entire head is snug, and the only gap is at the front of the eye. I was also wondering about the fore and aft tilt of the head. Should the edge be tipped down more? You'll notice in the 2nd picture that top of the handle sticking out of the eye is slanted downward compared to the top of the head. I was thinking that they should be parallel, no?

Read the "getting the hang of it" section here: http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf99232823/pdf99232823Pdpi300.pdf

It has a few good diagrams explaining bit/blade positions.

Sorry, been busy. Hacked, after reading your last post I decided not to make any changes. Then I went home and looked at the handle again. It's not touching the back or front of the eye, a little bit in back and more in front. If I drop the front of the edge it will push the back of the eye against the handle. Or, the wedge will make contact for the handle front and back. That should be my last question on this hang. What say you? Thanks

1215, thanks for the link. I'll read the hangs part tonight.

Well I was outside cleaning up the wood pile today and I figured I would use a couple of my Minis for the heck of it. More in use pictures than I usually remember to take.

22554288473_091f3fbac6_h.jpg

23181325655_6984675444_k.jpg

Two whacks

22885545510_98bc7bf16f_h.jpg

The older Vaughan with a longer handle isn't near as good of a chopper. Needs more work on the bit I suppose.

22787193007_ff313c301e_h.jpg

I'm happy with the current Vaughan Sportsman's Axe, mine of course has been modified a little bit ;-)

22787189977_7216ce9648_h.jpg

22552832624_bad5123cd3_h.jpg

Who needs a belt knife!

22552833034_31344cc3fc_h.jpg

I took my daughter out for a walk in the woods, and she wanted a long walking stick. So I let her use my mini Craftsman to chop down this pawpaw sapling. It was the first time she'd used a chopping tool, so there was a lengthy safety lesson first. Then it came to technique, and chopping at an angle so it would bite deeper, then learned another technique for limbing, and rounding the ends against a log for a chopping block.

chopping%20close_zps89to6ria.jpg

whittle%20close_zpsalareook.jpg

Awesome stuff Possum! I really love that handle, and the sheath too. Way to raise her up right, leaning to use tools and do for herself is and invaluable lesson.

Sold a Norlund hatchet that I paid 12 bucks for and made enough profit to buy this Marbles #6. 12" overall length. Sharpened it this afternoon. Hardest steel of all my axes. The only file that bites is my Pferd. I tried several USA Nicholson files but they just skate. The blade guard is missing which keeps it affordable. The head is tight but I'm going to let it soak in blo for a week. I'm having trouble getting this mini craftsman hafted to my liking. The haft I worked down didn't fit as well as I like. A 1/16" gap looks like a 1/2" on this tiny eye. So I'm going to start over.
7176mpbl.jpg

FRhw4Pvl.jpg

4eonYEMl.jpg

That old Marbles sure has a nice profile. I'll keep my eyes open for one of those now!

Just saw one of those sell on that auction site as a head only rather cheap. Too bad you missed it Quinton.

Rockman0 I hate to say it but I'm glade its not just me who has issues hafting these tiny axes. I've done two so far and neither are up to my standards. At least one will be getting redone. I'm determined to get it done properly.

I just happened to open up my latest in a recent buying frenzy of mini hatchets. This one is sort of a tweener but the interesting part is it is stamped with both William Mann and Lippincott Co. This helped narrow down the age of the head quite a bit, lets just say she's old ;-) and I'm excited.

That old Marbles sure has a nice profile. I'll keep my eyes open for one of those now!

Yes sir it does have the desired profile. The shape of the eye would require some time to fashion a new haft. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that anytime soon.

Just saw one of those sell on that auction site as a head only rather cheap. Too bad you missed it Quinton.

Rockman0 I hate to say it but I'm glade its not just me who has issues hafting these tiny axes. I've done two so far and neither are up to my standards. At least one will be getting redone. I'm determined to get it done properly.

I just happened to open up my latest in a recent buying frenzy of mini hatchets. This one is sort of a tweener but the interesting part is it is stamped with both William Mann and Lippincott Co. This helped narrow down the age of the head quite a bit, lets just say she's old ;-) and I'm excited.

Post up some pics of the Mann and Lippincott, I would sure like to see it.
You can pound in the wedge on a full sized axe or even a scout hatchet and it will swell enough to fill any small gaps but i didn't see a wedge this small doing that. I made a template of the eye on this mini craftsman to help me work it down to fit better.
wfkYMgel.jpg

Ipf2Ngkl.jpg

Last edited:
Post up some pics of the Mann and Lippincott, I would sure like to see it.
You can pound in the wedge on a full sized axe or even a scout hatchet and it will swell enough to fill any small gaps but i didn't see a wedge this small doing that. I made a template of the eye on this mini craftsman to help me work it down to fit better.

I'll be sure to post some pictures. I have to wonder if a single cross wedge would work best? I might experiment with that idea. Even the slightly larger eye on my 14oz head was a breeze by comparison.

Back