The Modern Giant of Bushcraft Has fallen....

Ethan Becker

The Great Mors Kochanski, who I regard as the most worthy successor to Horace Kephart died this morning from complications of mesothelioma.

Mors was a lifelong student of the natural world and how to travel, live in it and study it. his great book “Bushcraft” is one of the few tomes on the outdoors that I pick up and read random chunks of on a regular basis. I am always delighted to find something important that I did not “get” the first or second or third time through. I have recommended “Bushcraft” since I first found it.

Mors was a teacher of wilderness skills at his own school and to many military and other schools..... One of the many things I have regrets about is not taking advantage of several opportunities to meet and learn from him in person....

Very few of us have touched so many people in such a positive way!

He embodied the spirit of Kephart’s quote:”In the school of the woods there is no graduation day” and left us the gift of this memorable quote: “The more you know the less you carry”.

His death creates another unfortunate hole in our universe. The Vikings said that a man only dies when his word fame dies. If this is true Mors will be with us a very long time.. DAMN....

A great comment Warrior.....

BTW I need your mailing address.... Beckerkt@gmail.com
Thanks Ethan. Have heard a lot about Mors over the years, but am only familiar with him through the various outdoor forums. Reading his book will be on my list for sure now.

Sent you an email sir.

Just heard about this. I heard he was sick for a while now; but it’s sad to have lost such a legend in the outdoors community. I learned a lot flipping thru the pages of my Bushcraft book. Would’ve liked to have taken one of his courses.

Yes, a sad loss.
But at the same time, much gratitude that he left this world having contributed so much for those who share the relationship with the natural world that he had.

He will live on through his teachings, books, etc.

I hoped to meet him someday; my loss that I didn't make it happen.

As I walk my path, I continue to work to embrace his often repeated quote (know more, carry less), as I struggle to feel more comfortable with less stuff (I do like my gear...), and to rely on my brain and the knowledge in there, more. Always things to improve on.

I read about this earlier ... I bought his book some time ago but sadly admit I turned through it a couple times but it got put on a shelf and never read completely.

I guess this is a reminder to take more time to read, learn, and do more of the things that make our journey here a little better.

May his legacy bring some peace to his loved ones ... and to him on his new journey.

Rest in peace.

Back