The most exciting Kizer new product in 2015 !!Gemini-RayLaconico

Vanguard Gemini has stonewash finish (and full flat grind).
Kizer started shipping them to the dealers end of last week.

245577021.jpg

245577023.jpg

245577025.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the one I'm waiting for, the Vanguard - Sovereign Tang V4431A1. Already available in Europe.

Screenshot%20-%201_4_2016%20%203_42_17%20PM_zpskbjtatke.jpg

Just got confirmation my Vanguard Gemini just shipped. This knife may upset the balance in the pocket.

The satin finish on the intrepid is very nicely done

My Vanguard Intrepid just arrived and I agree.

Kizer put the specs on the back of the box -- a nice touch. Kizer calls the blade finish "Ti-coating."

Although I much prefer the stonewashed finish on the Titanium Intrepid, this "satin" is really quite nice.

The knife itself is a real bargain, and not just for the price. It flips well. Kizer knows how to build liner locks. This one locks up early and opens and closes smooth as butter. The proprietary pivots on the older model Kizers that required proprietary tools (not supplied) are thankfully gone, replaced with standard torx versions.

The G10 handle is medium grippy -- not too smooth or too rough. Just right. The only improvement would be to use Anso-style sculpting.

I like the VG-10 version of the Intrepid at least as much as the twice as expensive Titanium version. I like to be able to open my blade manually. On the Vanguard, I can easily slide the blade open with my thumb. Not so on the Titanium Intrepid.

I can hardly wait for my Vanguard Gemini to arrive.

I got my Vanguard Gemini in yesterday and I wanted to share a couple of observations. Sorry I don't have any pictures to add, maybe I'll have a chance later.

Kizer has chosen an interesting packaging mode! It's kind of hybrid box/bubble pack. Imagine a box with a window...larger than a box for the knife would be alone, but designed for a nice, sales-friendly display. What really caught my eye was the hanger tab on the back of the box. This packaging is designed for the peg hook sales racks that most of the big box style stores use. Could we be seeing Kizer make an appearance in the brick and mortar world?

My Gemini came with a decent quality polishing cloth...I can always use more of those.

The fit and finish on my Vanguard Gemini was everything that you'd expect out of an $80 knife...and probably what you'd expect out of a $150 knife to be quite honest.

The blade has a nice stonewash finish with an even grind and came reasonably sharp out of box. Make sure you remove the pesky "China" sticker because we've seen the adhesive can discolor the steel if left on too long. Most of the pictures I've seen to date show "Laconico" on the blade spine, just like the Ti version. Mine didn't have this marking, but the back side of the blade is marked with "Ray Laconico".

The G10 handles are moderately grippy and fit well with the stainless steel liners. The grooves were straight and even and the bevel around the edge was consistent. There were no gaps between the G10 and liner as can be found on some inexpensive knives. In the hand it felt amazingly similar yet very different from my Ti Gemini. I almost prefer it's warmer, more secure grip. I've not checked on actually weights but the Vanguard Gemini feels very light in hand. Be aware, the Gemini is a fairly small knife an all forms. If you have big hands, it may actually feel too small.

The blade flips incredibly well. Thanks to Brancron, we can enjoy bearings as opposed to washers on this model. The detent is firm while not overly harsh, and the blade flies open and locks securely regardless of the flip method. The liners are reasonably thick with early lock up. I've had easier liners to disengage, but the Vanguard Gemini's are by no means difficult.

The clip seems to be functional, albeit carrying just a tad too high for my tastes. The lanyard hole is essentially a tube due to passing through a solid backspacer. Speaking of the backspacer, somehow I'd never noticed that the black G10 version comes with a bright, royal blue backspacer. It certainly doesn't detract from the looks, but be aware of this splash of color if you purchase this blade. I don't think the backspacer is G10, it looks more like an FRN type material, but I can't be certain. I've not disassembled the knife and don't plan to.

All in all, the Vanguard Gemini is a really sweet little knife. If you've been on the fence about Kizer, it would be a tremendous knife to try out without being out an uncomfortable amount of money. Kizer has once again provided value well beyond the cost. Couple that with and an incredible design by Mr. Laconico and they certainly have a winner!

Last edited:
Ditto that, just got a green G10 version in, as mentioned, reasonably sharp but could stand some fine tuning to make it even better but that's to almost any folder out there on arrival, so not really a down side at all in my view. Opens and locks smooth and secure and I like the grip of the G10 over the Ti.

If I had my druthers, not sure what druthers look like ;) but you know what I mean, I'd like to see a combination of both an integral lock side with a G10 side for grip, best of both worlds in that scene right there.

G2

Edited to add that I just finished sharpening her up, going from 120 grit to 8k and a leather strop, the feel of the steel on the stones was telling to me that the heat treat seems well done, didn't feel any hard or soft spots along the edge, it took a while to sharpen so I'm guessing the hardness being fairly hard and wow this rascal got sharp!!! really sharp and I've handled a few knives in my time :) now, if it keeps that edge is another thing but I'm guessing it will be good.

Last edited:
Hi, Gary:

While the Gemini currently only has the Ti-handle and the G10-handle versions, we do have other models with a G10 front and a Ti back scale as you describe.

On our catalog, you can see that in the PRIME series, Activ (4404), V3 (4401A1), V3 Magnum Vigor (5414), V3 Magnum (5404) are a few of the models with a grippy G10 handle and a Frame Lock back.

Thank you. Let us know how your Gemini holds up in use.

Kizer

Does anyone know if the blades on the titanium version and the vanguard version are swappable? Thanks for any input.

The main thing, well several things, about the G10 Gemini or the Gemini in general is the blade shape, blade grind and also how the edge has no break in it, no sharpening notch to catch on material. That is very key to me as it is quite a nuisance when you go to cut and material gets hung up on that small notch. It can even be something that could cause an accident too. I know people say, just learn how to cut without going that far back, but when you are slicing through heavy material or thick plastic wrapping on an industrial machine, it's quite hard to limit your actions to avoid it, so I look for knives like this, one without any notch or break in the edge.

And it may just be my poor memory but I think the G10 version with the VG10 blade is ground down a little thinner than the Ti version? I don't have it to reference any more as I sold off the Ti, but this G10 one measures about .020" at the bevel shoulder.

G2

Hi, Gary:

Interesting point about the choil at the end of the blade, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

As for the thickness of the blade, I know from the data at hand that the blade stock thickness is nearly identical for the VG10 and S35VN blades, the individual grinds on the blade may play a bit into it. I'll see if I can find out a bit more after the Chinese New Year ends and all the teams are back in place.

Thank you.

Kizer

I am quite impressed in the overall cutting ability of this knife, if I could find a black G10 available I would pick one of those up as well, but they seem hard to find at the moment.

It is very good when manufactures take interest in what the end user finds useful and able to incorporate that in their production.

When I took the chance on the G10 version, my hopes were not so high on the VG10 steel, but I wanted to try the G10 for it's tactile feel and I ended up being pleasantly surprised at your heat treatment of the steel, as I've owned other VG10 blades and do not recall them being able to get as sharp as this one, it turned a chance into a successful venture ;)

G2

Hello all,

Today I received my 1st Kizer in the mail from a respected fellow BF member. It is a titanium Gemini (generation 1 I believe). I am most impressed with this folder!

I have been around BF for awhile and have probably owned more knives than a wild chimp has fleas. I also have owned several custom Laconico Jasmines, and was buying knives from Ray before he made his 1st flipper.

I just wanted to comment on how truly impressed (as I already said) I am with this folder. For the average price tag it goes for, or for that matter for twice that price, imho, the ti Gemini really delivers all the good stuff that really matters in a folder to be used, as does the custom Jasmine.

The ergonomics are easy to get to know and handle. The fit and finish is spot on (as Ray would have it). The balance and symmetry are really nice, and it flips like we all want one to...i.e., silky smooth. Lockup is great and so is blade centering.

I have no complaints about this folder at all. If I had a magic wand, I would make the pocket clip more like a custom Jasmine (slightly wider and larger), and I would, as a personal preference, change the blue anodizing to bronze (maybe something Kizer could consider as an option in future batches). I do like the Laconico name on the spine, and if it were cost effective to Kizer, in my opinion, it could just say Laconico on the spine in whatever font fits.

Most of what I have said I'm sure others have already iterated and probably more to the point than myself, but I just wanted to share my satisfied thoughts about this folder. Way to go Kizer Cutlery! :thumbup:

I'm already Jonesin' for an Intrepid...gotta sell something to buy something now that I'm mostly old, dody, and semi-retired...shit! ;)

Just got mine. Other than an almost imperceptible amount of up and down bladeplay, it's near perfect.

Nick, mine also has a very very slight amount of vertical play, at times you can't feel it, possibly when it breaks in the lockup will settle down, I sent a PM to the OP but it's Chinese New Year so once they finish their holiday period we may hear back from them, otherwise, I can't think of a more perfect knife to carry right now at all.
G2

Hi, Gary:

OP " Kizer News " won't be back online till the 16th of Feb at the earliest. If there are questions I can help answering, please feel free to PM me.

Thank you.

Kizer

Any news regarding the vertical play?
G2

Hi, Gary:

I'm having the factory ship a few recent production samples to me to check for this issue more closely. Once they arrive and I finish checking, I'll report back.

Thank you.

Kizer.

Thanks Kizer, looking forward to hearing the results.

And Flash, have any photos of your G10 Intrepid ?

G2

Back