The "Name that Plant" Game

I am glad you posted that pic Dawson bob and good call Rksoon

I took the first pic myself and that is how I always see that plant. I also see it get tall like this.

But never seen it with the flowers.

Have any of the east coast guys seen it wIth the flowers?

Yes, GS (if I'm considered an east coast guy :confused: )

The tall Burdock you are referring to is probably A. lappa.

BTW, as I understand it, Burdock is cultivated in Japan as a food stuff that they call ............(damn senior moment)..........IIRC - Gobo.

Doc

Last edited:
Don't discount the fact that I am still a novice at the whole plant thing. I study yes, but I don't have a crap load of experience with plants. That is why I enjoy these types of threads so much:thumbup:

You're up Bro

Tony, my friend, you know a ton more plants by sight than I do, and I aspire to get to your level and the level of others here :thumbup:. Though I don't think I could ever attain Doc's dizzying heights :D Anyway, google-fu doesn't help anyone in the woods, that's why I enjoy these threads too:). I'll try to get something up here later today after Bob confirms.

A good guess, Tony, but — unfortunately — wrong. You're on the right track, though: it is a member of the thistle family. It's one of the most common of plants, and is found throughout most of North America, Europe, and parts of Asia. Not sure about Africa or Australia, though it wouldn't surprise me.

Tony, my friend, you know a ton more plants by sight than I do, and I aspire to get to your level and the level of others here :thumbup:. Though I don't think I could ever attain Doc's dizzying heights :D Anyway, google-fu doesn't help anyone in the woods, that's why I enjoy these threads too:). I'll try to get something up here later today after Bob confirms.

Hey, are you calling me dizzy? :confused: :D

I, like Tony, am just an amateur, but am working on improving. That's what it's all about.

Doc

Yes, GS (if I'm considered an east coast guy :confused: )

The tall Burdock you are referring to is probably A. lappa.

BTW, as I understand it, Burdock is cultivated in Japan as a food stuff that they call ............(damn senior moment)..........IIRC - Gobo.

Doc

Doc

Ah-ha! As I was writing my last response, Doc got it. The plant is Burdoc (Arctium minus).

I used to think of it more as a Northern plant, till I discovered it growing in my yard where I used to live here in San Diego.

Hey dawsonbob, I actually think rksoon got it. I was only expanding on it.

Doc

I missed that, Doc, and had to go back and check. He did, indeed, and my apologies to rksoon for having missed it. I must be off my feed today.

No need to apologize, we all gotta get old eventually.. :p:D

Yeah, I just never thought I would get this old and decrepit.[...]

*Sigh*, Bob, looks like it's time we take you out back to the pasture, ole boy. Maybe Doc too, while we're at it....

Hey, are you calling me dizzy? :confused: :D

:p

Alright, let's give this one a try, I'm sure Doc, PaleoJoe, or someone will nab it quickly.

Distribution and Habitat: This plant is native to the western states (Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona) but has spread (well-documented in parts of Australia). Normally found in open, often disturbed, dry areas up to 2,500 ft elevation, but found along the Pacific Coast as well. One might see it as a roadside weed.

Description: The summer annual grows low to the ground, and the leaves are pale green to grayish (sometimes yellowish green) and looks velvety because of the bristly star-shaped hairs that cover them. The plant forms a mat up to 20cm high and 80cm across. The leaves are thick and oval or heart-shaped, up to 6cm long, and usually have three veins from the base. The flowers are small and sprout at the ends or axils of branches; they usually are out in May through October. The fruit is small and oblong, about 4mm in length, and contain gray seeds that are mottled with black or brown. Doves and Turkeys eat the seeds, the reason for the plant’s two common names. Crushing the leaves yields a strong sweet scent and clear liquid.

782640c7.jpg

57d4315f.jpg

e63ba34d.jpg

fdef3ac0.jpg

16db3ec1.jpg

Uses: Californian Native Americans used this plant as a fish toxin. They would wet and pound the leaves and stems on rocks near the waters edge and mix it into the water; the toxin would stupefy fish. Some sources claim Natives used the plant medicinally. They made poultices of the plant to use as an analgesic or to treat horse wounds, and made decoctions to treat fever and diarrhea.

Ding ding ding :) Knew you'd be on it Joe:D. Apparently it's no longer Eremocarpus setigerus though, it's been changed to Croton setigerus. You're up! :thumbup:

*Sigh*, Bob, looks like it's time we take you out back to the pasture, ole boy. Maybe Doc too, while we're at it....

Any young fillies in that pasture? I may be old, but I still have my dreams.

Paleojoe nailed it in one. Good thing because with my advanced case of CRS I couldn't remember the name, though I've seen it fairly often.

Here we go:

Perider_gairdneri_aa.jpg
images
euam4_001_svd.jpg
Perider_gairdneri3_aa.jpg
Perider_gairdneri5_aa.jpg
Perideridia_parishii_020207_1_tn.jpg

This one can be found in Woodlands and dry or wet meadows, from the plains to moderate elevations in the mountains. MT., B.C. and Sask. to CA, NM and SD.

Description:
Slender perennial with a caraway-like
fragrance, 40-120 cm or 15"-45" tall, the stem solitary, arising from a
fleshy, solitary, tuberous root. Alternate leaf growth and long stemmed umbel inflorescence.

Food:
The root is edible, raw or cooked. Sweet and nutty taste, it can be eaten in quantity as a staple food. It is best used when the plant is dormant. The root can also be dried for later use or ground into a powder and used with cereals when making porridges, cakes etc. It was one of the most important foods for many native peoples and mountain men. The seed is used as a caraway-like seasoning, or can be parched and eaten in porridge or used as piñole. Young leaves are edible too, raw or cooked.

Medicine:
The root is urine-inducing, mildly laxative, and has agents that relieve and remove gas from the digestive system, and are healing for disorders and diseases of the eyes. A tea of the roots has been taken to counteract effects of other infusions. An infusion of the roots has been applied as a wash to sores and wounds and also used as a nasal wash to get rid of catarrh. A poultice of the roots has been used to draw inflammation from swellings. The juice of the slowly chewed root is said to be beneficial in the treatment of sore throats and coughs.
:thumbup:

That looks very similar to Queen Anne's Lace/ Wild Carrot that we have over here on the East Coast. Even the root being edible is the same. However I know that is not it.

Looks like a West Coast guy or gal will have to answer this one..

Well Tony, it's definitely in the carrot family with Queen Anne's lace, but this one has a tall stalk, about 15" or so tall, and a looser grouped umbel...

Ding ding ding :) Knew you'd be on it Joe:D. Apparently it's no longer Eremocarpus setigerus though, it's been changed to Croton setigerus. You're up! :thumbup:

Hey rk, are you sure about that? Many, many years ago I read about a fish poison called Turkey Mullein (Croton sitigerus). I tried for years after, to find Croton sitigerus with no luck, then one day I was browsing another book (A Golden Guide (to) Weeds, Martin, Golden Press, 1972, LCC#: 72-78574, page 80) and it showed the picture and says, "Turkey Mullein, Eremocarpus setigerus, was formerly Croton setigerus".

Doc

Well Tony, it's definitely in the carrot family with Queen Anne's lace, but this one has a tall stalk, about 15" or so tall, and a looser grouped umbel...

Yeah I saw that. Hey not to change the subject, but what "Parish" do you attend;)

Back