The Name

Ken Cox

I could do a search and find out if anyone has discussed this before but, with that first cup of coffee just hitting my brain, it seems easier to start a new thread.

Extrema Ratio.

First of all, what does that phrase/name mean?
Does it have a literal translation or does it mean something in Italian like "the cat's pajamas" does in English?
Beyond Measurement?
Extreme Purpose?

Secondly, how do the Italians pronounce these words?
By default I say ecks-TREEM-uh RAY-sho.
In Italy do they say ES-tre-mah RAH-shee-yo?

By the way, I have a thing about Italian design and engineering.
Some people like German cars, but (if I had the money) I would rather have a Maserati than a BMW.
I fly helicopters for a living and I can assure the reader that the Italians make the best helicopters, by any measurement (speed, power, elegance, handling, ergonomics), in the world.
This does not surprise me.

It goes further than that, though.
Agusta, the Italian helicopter manufacturer, makes the prototypes for Bell Helicopters.
In other words, when Bell designs a new helicopter they have Agusta make the first ones, because Bell has so much confidence in Agusta's quality of fabrication (it takes the probability of failure due to manufacturing flaws out of the equation).
Many years ago I flew a Bell 206 (Jet Ranger), serial number 50 (out of 4000+); the last of the 50 manufacturing-prototypes made by Agusta for Bell.
The mechanics would frequently comment on how well everything on that helicopter fit.
I remember that particular helicopter with fondness, N4704R, serial number 50.
The Italians do amazing things with metal.

I have this mild anxiety that Extrema Ratio will discontinue the Nemesis before I manage to save up the money for one (three kids in school at the same time).
I don't think I need to worry, though.
I predict good things for Extrema Ratio.
At worst, I will have to wait in line while production catches up with demand.

Ken,

EXTREMA RATIO tranlates into EXTREME MEASURES. Your Italian pronunciation is correct, very good!

I do not think the Nemesis will go out of production...but the back log / back orders are pretty severe right now...but will catch up soon.

I appreciate your thoughts about Extrema Ratio. I too see big things in their future.

Ken your translation is ok.

Extrema and Ratio are Latin's words.

actually we pronounce it ecks-tre-mah raah-zeeeoh .
yes, the literal translation means "extreme measure", but it could also be intended as "last resort".

actually we pronounce it ecks-tre-mah raah-zeeeoh

Max - Given the difference in pronunciation of the letters "e" and "z" in English and Italian, I'd say a closer fit (with the accented parts in caps) would be: ecks-TRAY-mah RAHT-seeoh.

By the way, it's been a while since I heard from you. How's it goin'?
;)

I have a Hunter's Thorn by Kevin Wilkins with a similar motto on it: ULTIMA RATIO REGIS -- the ultimate resort of the king (power).

In classical Latin, eks-tray-mah rah-tee-oh and ool-tee-mah rah-tee-oh ray-ghis.

In latin, I believe it would be pronounced ecks-TREM-a ra-TEE-o.

Both words are stressed in the middle syllable; Trem is short, as in Clem. Ra is pronounced like ru in "rudder."

Back