The new Coote is up and running .......

Originally posted by blackboogers
Why do you mess with exotic materials for your platens? Can you just get a piece of O1 and make one with full hardness? I've never done this but that was what I was planning on when my homebuilt is complete.

Sure, you can do that. D2 works even better. It just doesn't stay flat, near as long as a piece of pyroceram. The pyroceram will also let your grinder run easier, and cooler, as there is less drag across the platen with it.

Pyroceram. That sounds like a ceramic material. Where I work we have a 42" lapping table that uses a diamond slurry. I'm not sure what micron it is but judging on the finish on our seal seats and primary rings it has to be around a 2000 or higher finish. If any of "pyro platen" guys or other platens for that matter want a 2 light band/ optically flat platen let me know. I love to trade. Just email me.

Anyone know if one of those would stay attached to a 9" disc? Deadly thought, I know. But if it would stay on that would be awesome!
I did order mine from Steve for the Coote. But I emailed Archie about the price to check. I also asked about prices for my 6"x48" and my 1"x30"! :D Thanks! Ric

I read Steve Pryor was going to get 9" round pyroceram.
The reasons to use it on a platen are, it stays flat and is cooler than an unlined platen. A 9" disk does not have the same problems. There is no moving belt over a stationary surface that would have something pressed against it. So heat buildup, and wear(dishing out)is not a factor. JMO.;)

You don't think there would be any benefit on a disc? Don't a lot of pocket knife makers use disc's to do the flats? I could see putting a sheet of 600 or 800 grit paper on one and getting a mirror. Oh well, it was just a thought. Probably an expensive thought anyway. :)

Originally posted by junkcarsrock
You don't think there would be any benefit on a disc? Don't a lot of pocket knife makers use disc's to do the flats? I could see putting a sheet of 600 or 800 grit paper on one and getting a mirror. Oh well, it was just a thought. Probably an expensive thought anyway. :)

I use two very thin aluminum discs that were for 6X48" sanders. I use them on the flats of every knife. They haven't worn a bit in over ten years. I use 80, 220, 400, then 600. Once you get to 600, it is already(for all intents and purposes)a mirror finish. I go to the buffer for a couple of minutes, and it is a true mirror finish.
Then I can hand sand to whatever satin texture I desire, very easily.:eek: ;) :D

The discs available now are much thicker than mine, which are loud in operation. The glass might help dampen the noise down, on mine, but I can't see any other reason for it on discs. And for the price, I could just buy better, thicker discs.:D

i use the grafite cloth on the coote and get a even flat, the pryo glass on the hardcore and a 90 durometer 9" disc on my frink disk grinder. i purchased the pryoglass from a comany called steinamach? i order several pieces 2z6" it was a couple of years ago. i will try to find the contact info, it was a very reasonable price. i get about 20 blades before there start to be lines /gouges in it. then i shatter it off. true the palten on the 9" disk and super glue a new one on.

Thanks Rhino. I have a strip of graphite for the Coote. I just wonder if I should just go ahead and put it on and try the pyroceram later.

Roger

Back