The new guy

New guy just wanted to say hi. i have been looking for awhile decided to join. From SoCal, welder and hunter, so I’m hard on my tools. My focus for awhile has been getting all the exact hunting gear I wanted. Now that that is done my new “focus” has turned to blades. My normal carries are a spyderco endura g10 foliage green or a ZT 350ts. I decided I wanted a nice field knife so wound up with a benchmade saddle mountain skinner. Well know I want a benchmade griptillian, lol. Oh have a havalon coming also. Anyway was hoping to get some opinions on the full size vs mini? Also if there is anyway to visually tell reals form counterfeits?
Thanks in advance

Also haven’t figured out the search yet, if this is a repeat question on this forum that tends to annoy people. Then flame on, lol

I have two Griptilians and a mini grip. All have 154cm blades and I've been pleased with them. I haven't carried the mini in several years since I got the two full size ones. One is one of my work knives and I've been very pleased with it. I don't know much about how to spot fakes myself so I get mine from top rated sources in the US and hope for the best. Welcome to the forum

Welcome!
Don't despair about the search function, it isn't... great.

Buy from a proper dealer instead of ebay or similar and you'll be fine.

Welcome!
Don't despair about the search function, it isn't... great.

Buy from a proper dealer instead of ebay or similar and you'll be fine.

Don’t tell him that, the search function works just fine if you use it right. A better statement woulda been, “The search function has a learning curve, be patient.” or use the google search engine with the blade forums prefix.

That said, once you learn how to use it, it can be really handy but until then it can be frustrating so be patient and don’t give up.

Welcome Jbk0628 The search bar works fine you just have to wade through all of the years if info or simply ask a question about anything and you will get your answer, plus a couple sarcastic ones to spice up your thread :confused:.

Welcome!
Have you considered a mini Crooked River? Right in between the full size and mini grip sizes, and much better looking!
The 575 mini Presidio 2 is a great option as well.

welcome.

sounds like you're already off to a good start blade wise.

easiest way to stay away from fakes is to only buy from authorized dealers. the dealers who contribute and help fund this site here are your best bet.

as said if the search function isnt getting ya what your looking for....use Google to search the forum. I do.

I did consider it. Actually had a great deal on one. I passed on for the saddle mountain. One reason I wanted to go with griptillian was i hunt in Mexico part of the year. On boarder crossing or the short drive threw town there is always the chance of things having to be “confiscated”. I want benchmade quality but I want to be ok with giving it up if situation calls for it. If that makes sense

New guy just wanted to say hi. i have been looking for awhile decided to join. From SoCal, welder and hunter, so I’m hard on my tools. My focus for awhile has been getting all the exact hunting gear I wanted. Now that that is done my new “focus” has turned to blades. My normal carries are a spyderco endura g10 foliage green or a ZT 350ts. I decided I wanted a nice field knife so wound up with a benchmade saddle mountain skinner. Well know I want a benchmade griptillian, lol. Oh have a havalon coming also. Anyway was hoping to get some opinions on the full size vs mini? Also if there is anyway to visually tell reals form counterfeits?
Thanks in advance

Also haven’t figured out the search yet, if this is a repeat question on this forum that tends to annoy people. Then flame on, lol
Hey, welcome to Blade Forums! There's a great bunch of people around here who know way more than I do, so buckle up and enjoy the ride!

If you want to avoid counterfeits, stick with legit knife vendors. The supporting members of Blade Forums is a great place to start.

Regarding the full sized Grip vs. the Mini Grip I'd say this: If you have no constraints in terms of legal length where you carry, go with the full sized Grip. Either is a great knife and you can't go wrong.

The Grip comes in a number of blade steels. If you can afford a bit more, the "-1" models in 20CV blade steel are quite an upgrade over the older Grips in 154CM. New Grips are being made in S30V, which is a nice upgrade over the classic 154CM, but you need to be certain which version you're buying.

Personally I like the RSK versions of the Grip, a blade shape designed by Doug Ritter, manufactured by Hogue and sold through Knifeworks. I'll buy one of those as soon as they offer a mini version.

Good luck and have fun!

I did consider it. Actually had a great deal on one. I passed on for the saddle mountain. One reason I wanted to go with griptillian was i hunt in Mexico part of the year. On boarder crossing or the short drive threw town there is always the chance of things having to be “confiscated”. I want benchmade quality but I want to be ok with giving it up if situation calls for it. If that makes sense

The best answer for this situation is skip the expensive bm folders all together. Get a couple of mora companions, (fixed blades & great for hunting use) and then smile or just gift them to the local leo's in such situations ; )

you'll only be out $20

personally I wouldn't go near the southern border with anything approaching a $100 knife

Welcome op!!!
If you have a hard time trying to figure out
the legitamacy of a particular knife you come across;
don't hesitate to post more specific
details along with some pictures if any.
This certainly is the right place to identify illegal copies; as there is nothing worst than
cheats ruining it for everybody.
Understandably nobody wants to get burned
and you'll find a great mojority will be helpful
in trying to root out this criminal practise in every way possible.

If I were you and wanted something "Benchmade quality" for for a cool trip like that I would spend the $115 or so and get a Griptillian If it has to be a folder. IMO you could reduce the chance of getting it confiscated by getting a less desirable color like the orange polimer one ;), or I would consider many of the Kershaw models for half the price and you can "Gift" it to someone before you cross back and make someone really happy but again I would spend the money :cool::thumbsup: and get what you want. We only live once.

The best answer for this situation is skip the expensive bm folders all together. Get a couple of mora companions, (fixed blades & great for hunting use) and then smile or just gift them to the local leo's in such situations ; )

you'll only be out $20

personally I wouldn't go near the southern border with anything approaching a $100 knife

I appreciate all the ideas and conversation.

Fixed blades will stick out more. Considered more of a weapon. The first day we cross each season we are really scrutinized. All shotguns we cross are taken out and checked in military office, all ammo is counted and inspected. Coolers are checked dogs are taken out of kennels and kennels are checked, etc. I know the fixed blade thing is kinda convoluted, but the rules can change from inspector to inspector. It’s really not that bad. We hunt in farm land outside of town. The locals are good to us and we to them. They would give you the last shirt off their back. The boarder towns we just try to get threw as quick as possible. Some one get gets taxed every year. I have only heard of one person getting a pocket knife confiscated one time crossing boarder. Funny thing is the next weekend he crossed, got the same inspector and he told inspector how nice his new knife was lol.

If I were you and wanted something "Benchmade quality" for for a cool trip like that I would spend the $115 or so and get a Griptillian If it has to be a folder. IMO you could reduce the chance of getting it confiscated by getting a less desirable color like the orange polimer one ;), or I would consider many of the Kershaw models for half the price and you can "Gift" it to someone before you cross back and make someone really happy but again I would spend the money :cool::thumbsup: and get what you want. We only live once.

Never really thought of the color thing. Lol, may work, doesn’t Benchmades make a pink one lol

Yes they do and what marcho Federale would want to be seen with this in his pocket Lol :oops:
CSTRdWE.jpg

Back