The next big thing: Meteorite Damascus WIP

Jason Fry

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I was given some good scraps of Aletai meteorite to forge into damascus in exchange for the source guy to get a billet back. He needs a 1.5 by 6" by 3/16 billet, and I can have/use the rest. Googling and looking on youtube for "meteorite damascus" yields mostly stories of crumbling and failure. Reported compostion of this meteorite is: Fe-76.76, Ni-13.28, Co-.56, Ti-059. With that high of nickel and some cobalt, I expect it to be brittle and red short.

To deal with that, and because I have small pieces, I'm going to put it in a can with 1095 powder. This should do several things. First, it'll add some carbon to the mix since the meteorites don't have any. Next, it'll fill all the tiny gaps and holes. Even so, I expect cracks and bad spots. To deal with that, I'll take whatever billet I get out of this and re-stack it with some more 1084 and 15n20 as many times as it takes. I figure three or four restacks at least, but maybe more. If I can get a billet out of that, I'll likely twist it, or maybe san mai it over a core, TBD. I'm thinking this time I'll also do mostly videos, not just pictures.

Neato! I'd definitely go with San mai cladding and keep the edge "real" steel

OK, I finished the steel making for this project in the last two days. Once I get the videos edited, I’ll put them up. His billet ended up 560 layers, and mine 1123. I figure with that high of a layer count, we should be able to get hardenable alloy out of the meteorite. The remainder of the steel is 1084. It’s unbelievable how much material was lost in the process of 6 restacks.

Last edited:

Got the steel done for the guy who traded me the meteorite. After I got his done, I did another restack and forged a Bowie, 1123 layers.

Messed up the layer count on the video. Looking back at pics I had counted a 7 layer as a 5 in my head lol.

Last edited:
This one is stalled out while I hunt for space materials. I have a tiny piece of carbon fiber from a SpaceX rocket, but not enough for a handle.

Back