The Next Custom Knife Trend?

TAH

Gold Member
Knife trends come and go. To mention a few, we have seen hollow handle survival knives, bowies, investment grade folders, and now tactical folders and fixed blades. What would you like to see or what do you think the next wave will be?

TAH, I think that I will leave this one to Les. I think that "tacticals" are here to stay, at least for a while.

My bet is on smaller folders (sub 3 inch blades) and fixed for every-day use. Not that we see an lack of popularity now I just think the popularity will increase.

I think there will be more makers ( not that they are not already really good) making using folders with some or no embellishments with a higher degree of fit and finish. Like Gus mentioned, with 3" blades, maybe 3-4" blades, with nice grinds, and smooth bevels. SOmething easy on the eye, but when you pick it up and use it, you will think, "damn! What a nice knife!"

I'll be the first one to admit I'm out of step with most of the knife buying public and with most of the folks here. So, I can only say what I'll be looking to buy. I have the designs and the makers for several fixed blades, Scagel styled Bowie, a Hunter and a Chute knife. After that most of folder purchases will be for custom slipjoints. I also look forward to more colaborations as a way of getting great designs at very affordable prices.

Pocket knives pretty much look like they did 50 years ago!
Obviously there has been a GREAT increase in knowledge accompanied by better products....but I think there are only bends in the road when it comes to knives. Form must follow function......unless of course your name is Virgil England!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

A trend I have been noticing does not so much involve the types of knives but quality of knives. This includes not only the fit and finish but the up-scale options available, especially with respect to customs.

As an example; when the current trend toward tactical knives first started, most models were pretty basic in nature. In fact, there was a time when if you didn't like Black on Black you were pretty much out of luck. It seems that lately the trend has been towards knives that are more "dressed" with additional options. More exotic steels, handle materials, etc. (Could this be an indication that the make-up of the knife consumer has changed somewhat?)

It seems that lately whenever a new design or model is brought out you don't have to wait very long to see the "Can I Get" requests.

Again, I feel this is a positive trend covering all types of knives. I just used the tactical style as an example. :)

Stabby said pretty much what I was gonna say. And gus too. Hmm, either they stole the info srom my brain, or great minds think alike!

Seriously though, I think the quest for the ultimate lock will drive mroe people to what I call the Fix-T lock. When I make them, the knfie loosk like any other 4 inch bladed folding knife, but then I fillin all fo the spaces around the lock with metal, and fill in the handle with metal too. I end up with a folding knfie that doesn't fold, but man is th elock strong! :)

Add to that colors and extra "touches" to fixed blades and folders, and you'll see what will be more popular over the next 5 years or so. A dressy folder will save your ass as much as a blactical tactical folder. And, the sheeple don't grunt as much when you pull out a wood inlay Sebenza. Look at the knife in my Avatar. It is the first of my Magic Knot knives, which I now call my Magic model for short. It is an unobtrusive fixed blade with color on the handle. A pleasure to look at and a great blade wo use, whether in the kitchen, opening boxes, or saving your ass.

I also predict that Tom Mayo will catch a monster wave and end up sailing to China. There, he will set up a factory and we will see a million knvies coming from that country with holes drilled int he handles. What is Mandarin for "Big Kahuna"?

:( :( :( :( :(

Communist Chinese Rulers:

Use Slave Labor

Take Body Parts

Force Abortion

Enslave Religious Leaders

Kill Everybody Else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :(

No Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I thought that it was agreed that Mayo's knives were made by the kids down the street, or was it the elves...

I agree with the Glesser Observation that there are going to be some smaller knives due to legal issues that have handles made for real hands (salsa navagators) I would guess that we are going to see more color in production knives, also dessier hard use knives. I hope soon we will start to see the next generation super-locks, that are as strong as your axis,frame and rolling locks, but are less obtrusive and more "clandestine" (enter compression lock).

also i think that companies are going to get closer and closer to making automatic knives without vilolation the fed/state switch blade lawws.

kit is the one with the factory in china...sheesh.
and jw has the one in mexico,IIRC.

as far as trends go,im with phil.
i collect what i like.
my.o2

done the next generation and then moved on....his work is
unbelieveable..here..i will share his work with you...

http://pages.globetrotter.net/jjobin/index.html

.with the laws being the way they are
im not sure anything more than a swiss army knife will be legal
in 5 years...neat thing is though..the feds will offer a collectors
lisc..then when we all get one...what they gonna do...heheheh...

Darkman, thanks. That is some awesome work to say the least!

Unfortunately (for France) Jacques Jobin is not from France, he is from Canada. great knives.

Originally posted by tom mayo
:( :( :( :( :(

Communist Chinese Rulers:

Use Slave Labor

Take Body Parts

Force Abortion

Enslave Religious Leaders

Kill Everybody Else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :(

No Thanks!!!!!!!!!
[/

Tom that sounds like Xmas with my family :)
I agree with the rest smaller knives, and neck knives seem to be what is up and comming.Handy and easy carry little buggers.

I'll just continue buying what I like, and let the dealers worry about the trends...

As long as the trend is towards an increased appreciation for quality, I'm happy.

Para

I think the next trend will be... High-Tech Fixed Blades

Makers of folders and autos have been extremely creative in recent years with the new latitudes made available to them through modern technologies.

We haven't seen quite as much innovation in fixed blades.

This is partially due to the fact that their aren't any moving parts to innovate. It's a;lso partially due to the fact that a lot of people still like the traditional look.

However, I can't help but think that some makers will soon be embarking on a new era of high-tech fixed blades. How they do it, or what they do differently, I have no idea, but I bet it will be pretty cool. Who knows - maybe they'll find a way to put in a few moving parts after all :D

Back