The Ontario Raider Bowie - The Legend Begins

Alright,

I know what you all are thinking. So he made an omelette with a fifteen inch Bowie Knife, Big Deal!

Hey, that pepper was tough.

I have another head hunter conference call shortly. Are there any tree in Eastern Colorado? I don't have time for a full download so this will have to hold you guys for a bit.

Anyways, we know this knife can prepare food. At least breakfast.

So next up, Fire.

Part lll

Fire,

Took the Raider Bowie up in the woods today. Food is important. But so is having some way to cook it. Also it helps to have a plan to not freeze to death.

So I figured I would give fire making a go. I took the Raider, my camera, and my ever present companion, Scout the dog.

This is what it looks like, second growth stuff with a lot of rock. Back in the day most of this area was mined for Iron Ore.

This looks handy, and close by too,

I gather up some wood. I haven't played much in this area so raw materials abound.

I am sort of old school when it comes to fire building. I like to know I can do it without a knife if necessary. But for today's purposes, we will put the SP-10 into action.

First we take that long piece of dead hardwood (Hard Maple I think) and hack off the end to use as a Baton. I just chopped and turned.

38 chops later. This is what I have,

One more gets me my baton,

I could have broken it off sooner. But what fun would that be. I usually would just snap a branch like this between two close trees. Remember this is about the knife, not just any knife. The Raider Bowie. This thing chopped through that dead hardwood very well. And this is my first excursion with it.

Ok, so now that I have my baton. My next objective is to make big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood. Small enough so I can get a fire going. So I cross baton the next few pieces. To get them down to firewood length.

I get in about this far. Then turn it and work the sides. It helps if you have someone hold the end. I was alone so I propped the other end up in the crotch of a small sapling.

Is this a cool looking knife, or what?

Next we split those pieces we just cut. This knife blade batons well because it is long and fairly wide above the saber grind.

Make note of the knot on the lower right, right clean through, no issues,

After a while we get a pile of this stuff,

This is all well and good. But the next step. Is the most important act in bushcraft. It is like VooDoo. Many have tried, but few succeed. It is the Holy Grail of the Woods!

That's right ladies and gentlemen, you guessed it, Fuzzle Berries. Without Fuzzle Berries you will DIE!

But here is the problem. And it's a huge problem. I only have the Raider Bowie. A Raider Bowie can't make Fuzzle Berries. You need a very special Fuzzle Berry knife. One that can only be hand ground by witch doctors from Helsinki. They call it a Scandi-Fluvian Grind. Without a Scandi-Fluvian Grind Knife, you just can't make Fuzzle Berries.

But, I don't want to die! Can't we give this a shot? Your supposed to be Magical, remember? Come on just try it. Please? Let me get one of those sticks I just split.

Wait, that doesn't look too bad. Let me see that thing?

What do you mean, you think you can do a little better?

Well, how 'bout that, The Ontario Raider Bowie from right here in the United States can make Fuzzle Berries. We're not going to die! Well at least not today.
What do you mean, If I learn to do my part we can get even better?

Well folks this knife right here can make Fuzzle Berries. And if I practice and touch up the edge. We are still working with the factory edge remember. It promises to make even nicer Fuzzle Berries. How cool is that?

Man, I'm starting to like this girl!

OK, calm down. Back to the fire.

Remember the tree I said looked handy. Yup, Birch. Nature's Napalm.
This stuff burns well, it burns even when wet, and it burns hot.

While I was grabbing some Birch Bark, Scout cleared a spot for our fire. Nice job Fido.

Last edited:
I scrounged around and grabbed some small dry twigs and branches.

Added them to the wood I split and the Birch,

Here you can see the Birch and the Fuzzle Berries begin to work their Magic. I usually use a ferro rod and some fluffed up twine. But today, I was under the gun for time and daylight, so I opted for the trusty Bic to get the Birch going. But I have no doubt a spark into some fluffed twine under the Birch Bark would have netted the same result.

It begins to grow,

On go some of the bigger pieces,

I think we can call this a success!

Is there anything better than a knife and a fire?

Well maybe a knife and a bigger fire. I was in a small ravine, but the wind was howling so once it got going, it took off.

First food, and now fire, this knife continues to impress. Today was our first foray into the woods together. I am sure things will only get better. It had snowed here for two days. Then got a little rain last night and the temps dropped into the teens. It was easy to use the Raider to process wood down to smaller and dry pieces.

Just a fun little excursion for me and Scout and our new knife. He is nine and beginning to show his age. I know what is coming. And it saddens me. He has been a good woods bud.

But what a fun afternoon we all had today. A Guy, his dog, his knife and a fire. Doesn't get much better than that for me. Not at any price,

Great Day Raider, thanks,

Last edited:
I know that Ontario is glad that you won their knife. You have taken so many pictures, and written so much, in such little time. It would have taken me a month to get this many good pictures up. Good job LV!

I know that Ontario is glad that you won their knife. You have taken so many pictures, and written so much, in such little time. It would have taken me a month to get this many good pictures up. Good job LV!

I agree! Viking, those are some great pictures. They make me want to get out, and I'll admit it, they make me want a Raider Bowie even more.

Scout looks like a good guy to hang out with. There's a lot of doggie wisdom in a grey snout.

I agree! Viking, those are some great pictures. They make me want to get out, and I'll admit it, they make me want a Raider Bowie even more.

Thirds! Nice job LV, I can't help but see the 10 in a new light...

Great review so far, great pics and descriptions!!! I was going to pick an SP-10 up not long ago, because of the price, most of the reviews here and on YouTube and I just flat out love large bowies!!!! I think your review so far might just have sealed the deal...lol.

Looking forward to more!!! :D

Congrats winning the knife. This is such a great way to show your appreciation, using your knife and sharing pictures with the world. Good for you!

I bet most of those who read this thread will want one afterwards, my self included. LOL!

You need a very special Fuzzle Berry knife. One that can only be hand ground by witch doctors from Helsinki. They call it a Scandi-Fluvian Grind. Without a Scandi-Fluvian Grind Knife, you just can't make Fuzzle Berries.

But, I don't want to die!

I love this part. :D

This is why I love contests where we reward someone for being creative. It's so much fun when a creative person has one of our knives and a camera.

Viking, you continue to impress. We have gotten more than our knife's worth (but please feel free to continue).

This is why I love contests where we reward someone for being creative. It's so much fun when a creative person has one of our knives and a camera.

Viking, you continue to impress. We have gotten more than our knife's worth (but please feel free to continue).

excellent-mr-burns_zps66a86d2f.gif

:D I'm kidding you guys... It is a lot of fun to see them get worked.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I did not really know what to expect from this blade. Other than having some fun. You folks are pretty much seeing it as I see it. The only use it has had so far has been in front of the camera. I hope to remedy that soon.

I took no practice runs for the food or the fire. What you see in the photos is the way it happened. So far it has done well.
Will I use this knife to make breakfast everyday. Probably not. But it is nice to know you can.

For fire making, I thought it did very well there. Especially considering it was in the teens temperature wise with gusty winds. I was comstantly looking up for branches that were ready to drop. For the infamous Fuzzle Berries, I had never tried one with this knife before. I just grabbed a piece of hardwood I had just batoned and litterally gave it a shot. I thought for a first try with a huge knife and gloved hands it did a better than acceptable job. Especially considering this is still the untouched factory edge.

Will the Raider Bowie ever have the finesse of a 2" Puukko? Probably not. But it will get the job done. And I am 100% confident that my Fuzzle Berries will improve with some woods time. I hope I did not upset any of the Scandi-Fluvian folks here. I love some of those knives.

But like many things, there seems to be a clique that develops. It becomes almost cult like. And if you don't follow the rules they won't let you play. Or they will make fun of you for not having the right toys. I do not subscribe to that philosophy. Never have, never will. This is not just about any one knife, or group. But things like Bushcraft in general for example. I don't know when the term was coined. Don't care really. But suddely a task that has been performed for hundreds of years in various manners has to be done a certain way to get the approval of the cool kids.

Making an omelette with the Raider was such an example. Because it flies in the face of the accepted norm. Fuzzle Berries have become such an item. Many firmly believe you can not be a bushman without the knowledge and skill to create them. I refuse to justify that mind set. And will not even call them by their proper name. Like there really is a proper name for some wood cut off a stick.

Big knives seem to get an undeserved bad rap. Maybe because at times they are weilded by some folks who haven't completely climbed Darwin's Ladder. Or maybe it is because today's society would prefer us to have no knives at all. If they can't achieve that, it seems at the very least they try and direct us to tiny knives that basically resemble a nail file with a thinned edge.

I thought this was a great opportunity, to perhaps change some folks minds about a large knife such as Ontario's Raider Bowie. I am very early in my relationship with this knife. But I'm here to tell ya, I am impressed with it so far. It is a versatile tool for sure. And I haven't even scratched the surface of a symbiotic relationship with this knife yet. Just like dating. It takes time. But after a while, you begin to know what the other partner will do before it happens. You learn to depend on that partner over time. Because you know the strengths and weaknesses.

Following the rules has never been my best thing. I like to work outside the box. Like Bullwinkle asked Rocky. When Rocky said they had to go, because the record was almost over. Can't we spend some time on the edge?

What it all boils down to for me is havving a good time. This knife is just plain fun. It comes in at a great price point. One that won't make anyone cringe if they want to beat the snot out of it in the woods. Some people will purchase it as a big starter blade and then move on. That's cool!

For me right now, I have draws full of really expensive and very nervous knives. Because the secret is out. The Raider Bowie will perform on par with many of them from the factory. And it may surpass many more with some tweaking. Not to say the expensive ones to have value, they do. Hand crafting, super steels, exotic woods all come at a cost. And some are litterally sharp works of art. But never be led to believe that you "Need" one of these to have fun or survive in the woods.

That is sort of what I hoped to show folks here. Fun can be had at a very reasonable cost. Some folks will still say that it is still expensive. And it may be. But I looked at the flier from my local supermarket last night and a pound of deli roast beef was on special for $10.99 a pound. 10.99 a Pound!! Makes the Raider Bowie that will most likely out live me, look like a smoking deal,

Truthfully, I see this knife as part of a system. I came here and stumbled on the contest while looking for info on two Ontario knives. The Raider and the new Bushcraft Field Knife. I see that knife as having a lot of features I have come to like in a knife. Having read many of the reviews. Folks seem concerned about the Rockwell and a few other nit picky items. It looks like many of the detractors have never even handled it.

I think the Bushcraft would pair nicely with the Raider. And the combined system would pretty much cover most of the bases. At least most of my bases. Time will tell. I will most likely try and snag one after Thanksgiving and give it a shot.
It just looks like it will do what I need a knife to do.

In my fifty years of knife evolution the Bushcraft Field Knife struck a chord with me. Looking at the profile of it. It looks strangely like the first knife I was given by my dad. Much to my mothers dismay. It was nothing special. It was the knife out of his mess kit from Korea. About the same size flat grind blade. The handle on the Ontario blows the mess kit knife away. But they are so similar to me it's striking. I loved that knife!

Also in my evolution. I have come to appreciate simplicity. I grow to like my knives in their basic form. No power windows, no back up alarms, no antilock brakes, and no traction control. Just your basic knife.

Sorry for the long ramble. And thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

I already have sort of an idea for the next installment of the Raider Bowie Trials, but I need it to stop snowing. It begins to get deep. Not Buffalo deep, but deep enough.

LV,

Great write up LV! I started doing some chopping with my Sp10 today to prepare for a youtube review, and it did pretty darn well! I am learning a lot comparing it to the Sp5. These knives are a great value!

LV....no need to apologize for the "long ramble"....it was a great reply and I can agree with everything that you said, with the exception that I have never used an SP-10 :) Great review and thoughts, I hope to see more.

Thank you for taking the time to give this review.

I enjoyed the review (humor is always good). These are good, tough knives.

Cool knife and great review! Unfortunately, now I have “Down Under” stuck in my head. Thanks dude.

First Post! (for me that is)

I got my SP-10 and well it seems like a very very good priced bowie I'm going to work the heck out of it. Its replacing a few sub par budget busted ones. The big selling point to me, (pun intended) was the hilt guards. Had some near bad and one bad incident of hand slip of knife for a working knife. I'm the once sliced twice shy type of person.

Back