The Original Gerber MP - A Love Story

Everyone in my unit had the 600 DET. The one with the crimpers and spike. It was a fantastic multi that even had the Remington metal blades. They were mandatory having the 12-B/21-B mos. I will never get rid of that tool even though it's not as practical in civilian life.

Everyone in my unit had the 600 DET. The one with the crimpers and spike. It was a fantastic multi that even had the Remington metal blades. They were mandatory having the 12-B/21-B mos. I will never get rid of that tool even though it's not as practical in civilian life.
My original MOS was 12B. We never had anything like that but I enlisted in 1976. Much later I cross trained as a medic (91b) and then later it was changed to 68W. I don't think 91 Bravo is even a medical MOS anymore. You younger guys seem to have more toys to play with.

My original MOS was 12B. We never had anything like that but I enlisted in 1976. Much later I cross trained as a medic (91b) and then later it was changed to 68W. I don't think 91 Bravo is even a medical MOS anymore. You younger guys seem to have more toys to play with.
I wasn't born until 79, and didn't join until after 9-11. 2002-2011. We did have cool toys, but my favorite was the MICLIC, and you had those.

Given as gift many...many years ago & still going.
rXeq9vW.jpg

Nice to see some history of the Gerber. I had always believed that the Gerber was the first pliers based multi-tool. So, the history lesson is welcomed. Have to dig my oldest one out and take a look at it. I have a number of the Gerbers; I'd find them....

I got a Gerber at the Blade Show in the early 90's. Saw them on display and liked the possibilities. At that time, I was carrying a small set of pliers in my pocket and had been off and on for years. Never really took to the Gerber and eventually purchased SOG and Victorinox pliers based multi-tools. I keep a multi-tool in my field bag in my truck for use as needed, but I don't care for the weight of most of these tools and don't want one on my belt. I carry a small Leatherman key chain sized one daily.

Nice to see some history of the Gerber. I had always believed that the Gerber was the first pliers based multi-tool. So, the history lesson is welcomed. Have to dig my oldest one out and take a look at it. I have a number of the Gerbers; I'd find them....

I got a Gerber at the Blade Show in the early 90's. Saw them on display and liked the possibilities. At that time, I was carrying a small set of pliers in my pocket and had been off and on for years. Never really took to the Gerber and eventually purchased SOG and Victorinox pliers based multi-tools. I keep a multi-tool in my field bag in my truck for use as needed, but I don't care for the weight of most of these tools and don't want one on my belt. I carry a small Leatherman key chain sized one daily.
I have a small Leatherman that rarely gets used but I am glad I have it. It has wire strippers instead of pliers. It should be in with my electrical junk but, of course, it's not there.

Most of the time I reach for a Gerber 600 or 400. The plan was to have the 400 for me to carry, a 600 in the Jeep Cherokee, another 600 in my emergency gear, maybe another in my tool bag, and my Leatherman Wave at the office. Right now, not one is where it belongs.

All the Gerbers have modified tool sets. I have been swapping parts out for years.

Back