The perfect Bugout for me.....

TexMac

Gold Member
I just going to throw this out there and hope maybe Benchmade thinks about it. I would love to see a Bugout with a sheepsfoot blade. I love the weight, size, and way it disappears in my pocket. However, I’m a field technician and find a sheepsfoot blade best suits my needs. I sometimes carry a 555 buts it’s just a bit small and isn’t as good of a slicer as the Bugout’s high grind and thin stock. I generally am forced to carry a CRK Inkosi Insingo but it is a little too big and too heavy. I’ve also tried a Spyderco Delica Wharncliffe but it’s wide in the pocket and still has a stabby tip. I made a little sketch...this would be an awesome addition to the Bugout family. What do y’all think?
upload_2019-3-6_14-35-10.jpeg

Due to the lanyard “loop” on the Bugout handle, the point of your blade would probably hit.

I do love the sheepsfoot blade, and as a commercial plumber, that’s all I carry at work.

Yeah I thought about the lanyard hole. Probably would require a slightly shorter blade or some modification. I started my career as an electrician but now work as a pipeline technician and love a good sheepsfoot blade. They are few and far between, at least in high quality USA made knives. For several years I carried a modified s30v Kershaw leak which wasn’t bad and I also reground a m390 Kershaw dividend but both of those are assisted openers. I’d love a sheepsfoot blade axis lock knife.

If I could do a Bugout 2.0 I would ask for blade/handle tweak so that when the knife is closed there wasn't that notch between the end of the blade and handle. I would also like a bit of jimping on the blade. So basically a Bugout with a few pointers from the griptilian line when it comes to where the blade meets the handle.

GGy0uBj.png

If I could do a Bugout 2.0 I would ask for blade/handle tweak so that when the knife is closed there wasn't that notch between the end of the blade and handle. I would also like a bit of jimping on the blade. So basically a Bugout with a few pointers from the griptilian line when it comes to where the blade meets the handle.

GGy0uBj.png
I don’t like those gaps either. Just another sharp edge and takes away from the aesthetics. I prefer my mini grip for looks. And for a light weight deep carry I went with The Chaparral LW.

The sheep foot drawing looks nice and makes me think of the Proper.

,,,Mike in Canada

Question is, could one Frankenstein that blade in those scales?

484 is a better knife and with m390 paired to g10 scales. Fairly appealing if you're willing to throw down a couple more $. Sheeps foot blade benefits a small % of consumers IMO.

484 is a better knife and with m390 paired to g10 scales. Fairly appealing if you're willing to throw down a couple more $. Sheeps foot blade benefits a small % of consumers IMO.
But the 484 has a shorter blade and weighs nearly double the Bugout.

Lots of people look to the Bugout as standard EDC, but it really is a knife of sacrifices. If weight and a low profile with a good sized blade matches your priorities, you are going to be really happy. If those things aren't your priorities, then you are probably going to find flaws with it.

I would love to see them build out the the Bugout Line in a similiar way as they have with Grips, but the problem is they know it will only cannibalize those knife sales.

The Salt 2 with the sheepsfoot blade does seem like a pretty dang good field knife.

GGy0uBj.png

same issue for me on the crooked river

The Salt 2 with the sheepsfoot blade does seem like a pretty dang good field knife.
I’ve tried that knife and the H1 is terrible. I asked Spyderco to produce the same profile in a more suitable steel and they blew me off. The standard VG-10 isn’t much better for what I do.

GGy0uBj.png
Honestly that's the only thing the kept me from buying one. It bothers me for some reason.

Back