Off Topic The proper way to ask about a knife you know nothing about.

I posted this as a tongue in cheek response to another member’s question here in GKD and then realized that all the information anyone would need to learn about a knife of unknown origin to them and make a reasonable assessment as to approximate value.

At the very least help learn how to help yourself in the future. You know, the whole give the man a fish vs teach a man to fish conundrum.

So here’s my post/reply in its entirety with a few edits for spellin’ and continuity.

Why not avail yourself of the knowledge base here and use us as a resource to learn more about the knife at which point you’ll either be able to make as educated a guesstimate as 75% of the membership here or at the very least you’ll learn how to valuate a knife.

No matter what, you’re goin’ to have to post more to lean more because basically your post is similar to,

You, “I got this car and I need to get a value on it. “

Me, “Well I need more info than that to help. “

You, “it has 4 wheels.”

See you’ve already upped your post count by 2 and we’re still no closer to you finding out what you want to know.

Let’s say I like you, I don’t know, maybe I see a little of myself when I was younger in you. What ever the reason, we continue this internet conversation and we get to the point where you ask,

You, “Well Ted, based on the pictures I posted is there anything you tell me about this knife?”

Me, “Well (insert name here) those were really great clear pictures you posted. You included everything I might need, both sides of the knife filling the frame, (nice pictures btw) The picture of the tang stamp will help, the fact that it’s clear and full frame too even though the stamp is worn I can see enough detail I’m confident we can figure it out.

Btw the tape measure along side the knife in the pictures was a great idea and will help as a reference to size. “

You, “Well thanks for your help Ted, are there any other places I might look for more info?”

Me, “ I have some good news and some bad news! The bad news is I’m not real familiar with that particular knife so I won’t be of much help.

The good news is bein’ this is the biggest and best knife site on the internet there are several people here who can help you. I’ve forwarded your questions to another member and he’s goin’ to you.”

You, “WOW, that’s great, thanks again.”

Me, “It was nice to meet you (insert name here) welcome to the forums and I hope I was able to help. You might wanna check out these forums here, these threads in particular. You might also wanna check out these other sites for info about your style knife.

Lastly once you learn all you can about the knife, if you don’t know the approximate value by then you’ll know enough to do an fleeBay search using the closed/finished filter to get an idea of what they’re actually sellin’ for. At least on the auction sites. “

If you still need help leave me a message or post in this thread and if I can’t help you I’ll point you in the direction of someone who probably can. “

4 years later..... time moves on.

You, “...hey Ted, I’ll meet you and the rest at the show, I sure hope I brought enough Cuban cigars and 22 year old scotch for everyone!”

(~);-}

At the very least help learn how to help yourself
Hey don't be so rough on the poor dude / dudett; not everyone was fortunate enough to have library class in grade school.

How do I say : If they don't know to post photos they are too dumb to be allowed to live, without sounding a little . . . uuummmmm . . . snarky ? .. .. well I'll work on that one.

But yeah . . . like you said.

Something I learned . . . so I can say I actually added something useful here . . . for a change . . . is to say that any subtle seemingly unimportant thing that can be noticed on the knife such as little dots near the pivot on the blade can be significant to getting specific info about the particular knife they have.

My general feeling is that it's a waste of time to ask about the value of a knife unless it is from a famous (in demand) maker or currently in production or just out of production in the last year or so. The best one can usually get is that current ones similar to yours sell from x to y.

I have always felt that the selling price on (pre-owned) knives should be available on the Exchange here. That is THE value on that day and to that person. But..... most will not provide this information. So, again, values are a guess.

An example... I have this Case Barlow that is in near mint condition, what's it worth? It was made in 1979.... You basically get no useful responses to the question. I purchased said knife for $65 at a knife show. So, I guess that is the value this year. Before looking at the knife, I had no idea what they sold for. All I know is that the seller at the table wanted $65 and I paid it.

Most get turned off by the how much is it worth threads.

I prefer the help me learn about this knife. This is what I’ve already found.

The first question just seems lazy. Implying I want to sell this but don’t want to do any research.

The second shows genuine interest.

Problem is that sometimes we misjudge people and questions based on past interactions with other people.

Back