The pros & cons of bolt on handle scales Vs. epoxy rivets?

I assume that the Becker line of blades went with bolt on handle slabs due to cost and the ability to change out handle slabs later.

What I am wondering is if there is any benefit to having handle slabs on say my BK2 that are held on with epoxy and brass rivets?

I have been thinking on making some wood slabs and I just can't make up my mind weather or not to have them bolted in place like the original handle or to permanently attach them.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each method would really be appreciated!

I think that bolted scales are a better idea, most of the pros I can think of you previously mentioned. Another thing is that you could make a storage cavity in the scales alla H.E.S.T. BD

Personally, I'd bolt them, because I like leaving my options open. Bolts also allow for cleaning under the scales if you need to.

It's your knife, but I'd fly with the bolts.

Personally, I'd bolt them, because I like leaving my options open. Bolts also allow for cleaning under the scales if you need to.

It's your knife, but I'd fly with the bolts.

Good point, but also if they are epoxied down there wouldn't be any space between the scales and the knife for something to get it.

Good point, but also if they are epoxied down there wouldn't be any space between the scales and the knife for something to get it.

True — with a good epoxy job. If I were to use epoxy — which I probably wouldn't — I would strip the coating off of the tang to assure a better contact than one would get epoxying directly to the coating.

Just remember that (like some other things we don't want in life) epoxy is forever.

Bolt them on for sure. Would you epoxy your shoes onto your feet? :) It gives you options to change things around once in a while.

So if we are agreed that bolting is better why do you think a lot of custom makers go the route of epoxy and pinning, where as company's like Ka-Bar and ESEE go the bolt on route?

So if we are agreed that bolting is better why do you think a lot of custom makers go the route of epoxy and pinning, where as company's like Ka-Bar and ESEE go the bolt on route?

I think you're looking at two entirely separate things. A lot of custom makers use epoxy and pins because they're making one-off knives that will remain as produced forever, so there's no need to make the scales removable. This, while very secure, is probably an easier and less expensive option.

Companies like Becker and ESEE might go the bolt on route for any number of reasons. Becker has used the same iconic — almost trademark — handles for many, many years, on many, many knives. Those handle scales have remained virtually unchanged for decades. They can be ordered in large lots, and applied to almost all models, but the material can easily be changed to offer options to the consumer. With Becker knives it's a relatively simple procedure for a customer to order and change their own grips.

And why not bolt them on? They're very strong, yet easily removed for cleaning or grip swapping and, as a bonus, it's fairly simple when designing a new knife, to have a starting point like "okay, these are the handle scales. Now I can concentrate on the blade."

I think it's probably more difficult for a custom maker to make detachable handles and inlet the bolts, then it is to simply glue 'em and pin 'em.

Thanks for the great reply dawsonbob!

I have been debate in my head which is better and why so its great to hear y'alls points on the subject.

I hadn't really thought much about it until I got my BK9 but I like the removable scales. I haven't changed them yet but it's a great idea. You can try different materials, or modify the grivory and still be able to put original grivory back on if you decide you don't like your mod. I plan to find some spare originals and try modding them. I also have small hands and want to try some scales to thin the profile of the grip some.

It's definitely a plus in my opinion and I have actually looked at some of the competition and thought "that's nice but those grips are so permanent", not like you couldn't change them but not nearly so easily.

I also really like that the Beckers lack the large choil almost all of the similar knives on the market come with. I use that edge right by the handle. That's also why I don't care for so many blades that only come serrated there.

Plus as noted by others the price is so right, even if you go with aftermarket/custom or homemade sheaths and scales you'll still come out ahead or close to the others. If I didn't care for the handles or sheath for some reason on a $150+ knife, even if they are very well made just not a good fit for me personally, well that would end up being a different deal.

I hadn't really thought much about it until I got my BK9 but I like the removable scales. I haven't changed them yet but it's a great idea. You can try different materials, or modify the grivory and still be able to put original grivory back on if you decide you don't like your mod. I plan to find some spare originals and try modding them. I also have small hands and want to try some scales to thin the profile of the grip some.

It's definitely a plus in my opinion and I have actually looked at some of the competition and thought "that's nice but those grips are so permanent", not like you couldn't change them but not nearly so easily.

I also really like that the Beckers lack the large choil almost all of the similar knives on the market come with. I use that edge right by the handle. That's also why I don't care for so many blades that only come serrated there.

Plus as noted by others the price is so right, even if you go with aftermarket/custom or homemade sheaths and scales you'll still come out ahead or close to the others. If I didn't care for the handles or sheath for some reason on a $150+ knife, even if they are very well made just not a good fit for me personally, well that would end up being a different deal.

All in all, I believe that Beckers are the best bang for the buck there is... and you can change the scales.

How cool is that?

I doesn't matter to me... bolts or rivets are fine. I make sure to use blue semi-permanent loc-tite on all my bolted knives for peace of mind. I changed my bolts on my 2 and 9 to all stainless also. :thumbup:

Edit: Thought I'd add this : It probably would never happen from a good manufacturer , but if you had a riveted handle and it did come loose , it would be a lot harder to fix than replacing a bolt.

Last edited:
Back