The Puukko

Dam it´s inspiring to browse this thread!! I cant wait for the weather to be warmer so I can start my next build under the awn :)
Yes Barbababa got to agree it is inspiring to see so many quality puukkos . Im starting on another one after quite a few years rest from it all , the only trouble is I sold all ofmy knife making equipment back then so Im basically starting from scratch . It will just take a bit longer .

Old picture, she wears new pants now, but this puukko lives in my day pack always ready for impromptu adventures.

49705920877_662781755c_c.jpg

Last edited:
My latest wip.
Blade: Mora Stainless 99mm
Bolster: Brass and homemade micarta
Handle: Apple wood from the local park
My initial plan was to make the front like the previus small Mora I made, but with a 4mm finger guard...
I later dropped the idea of a guard (don´t need one, and it does not belong on a Puukko).
I also changed the bolster layout from a 2mm brass front with 3x 3mm red micarta discs with 1mm brass between them
to: 4mm brass and 2x red with 1x black micarta in the middle, and 0,5mm brass that separates them. It´s a design used by Pontus Holmberg back in the day, so I thought it would be fun vintage wink.
Now it´s the fun part of shaping that awaits. I am thinking of copying the shape of an original Mora Classic 2 and use a vintage Mora leather sheath

Looks fantastic ... and practical. 😁👍

Have you ever done a stacked Birch Bark or leather handle on a Mora blade?
Thanks B 🙏. Yes, I have done one with leather, but that had a full lenght tang so I could screw it together. I would like to try birch bark some time (just need to get out and collect some). Practical, yes. It´s easier to say that one makes working knives instead of exhibition pieces when one does not have the skills or tools to make the fancy stuff ;)

The sisters :) The bigger with 99mm blade and the smaller with 78mm
The 99 really fills the hand well in the original size and shaped handle
The 78 is the one that could be kept in the messenger bag during the day and brought out for lunch duties in the park.
I made the handle very petite and flat. 9cm long and 12mm at the thickest part of the belly.

I am making plans for the next Mora-Puukko, this time for a friend. He wants it in traditional materials. Raindeer front, leather or birch bark separators and wood. I am still trying to figure out how to make the design and what wood to use. Maybe I will safe and use curly birch...

Back