The Quintessential Coke Bottle Thread (The Patterns, The History, The Experiences)

Pàdruig

Reap What You Sow
Platinum Member
***EDIT***
"Formerly known as A Month With an Allegheny (GEC #97) in my Pocket"
I have decided to turn this thread into an "All about Coke Bottles" thread - a topic that encompasses the quintessential Coke Bottle frame and its history, providing a place for enthusiasts to come together and share their experiences and knowledge.

If you are just now tuning into this thread, it is good to note that this began as an experiment - an exercise of sorts where I wanted to experience the pattern as interpreted by GEC in an EDC capacity. Below this, you will find my documentation as well as the input from others here.

My exercise has lead me to a great appreciation for this pattern in its various forms and has motivated me to dig deeper into its history.

First, I'd like to include a link that is long dormant but also helped in my research somewhat.

Thus far, my understanding is that the large Coke Bottle (otherwise known as a swell center hunter or simply folding hunter) has its roots in late 19th century America. I have not found it in any old European catalogs but I do see it making its appearance in American ones. The knife seems to have good popularity up until the early decades of the 20th century where it seems to be somewhat scarce until it begins to make more appearances in later decades.

All in all, I'd like this thread to encompass the coke bottle frame in general, despite my interest and experiences being with the large variant so far. "Stabber jacks", small, medium, and large - all are most welcome to be discussed here.

A5WmmQA.png

GLrhzLE.jpg

***END EDIT***

Good day, folks.

I have largely been a bit apathetic when it comes to threads like these. Lacking the discipline to stick with but one knife over any significant length of time, I've generally just accepted my weakness and carried on with my knife enthusiast ways. Like you all, I like knives - of all sorts - and I have no shame when it comes to enjoying this hobby and interest in the myriad of ways that are offered to us.

However, my collecting has settled down to a rather steady pace and I feel that I might be able to pull this off - with a couple of stipulations of sorts. After all, going on a rather strict diet without allowing yourself to relax from time to time is simply setting yourself up for failure (in my opinion, of course).

This brings me to the subject knife.

When GEC announced the #97 Allegheny pattern, I recall it being met with a somewhat lukewarm response. Concerns regarding its size, Northfield trim options, and the curated covers all made for some rather cautious buyers. Since I am generally of a mind that I want to try just about any pattern from GEC at least once, I opted to scoop one up at the time (a Northfield in Ebony). Upon receiving it, I was rather disappointed - I didn't like the saber grind, the secondary nail nick, or the extremely anemic pull/W&T. I couldn't see myself really putting it to much use so not long afterwards, I moved it along to a new home.

Fast forward to last week and I found myself in the middle of some conversations that involved the #97 pattern. It compelled me to maybe look at the knife through a different lens and perhaps give it a second chance. Because of the initially tepid reception, there are still plenty of these knives sitting on shelves so I went ahead and got while the getting is still good. This time, I chose a Tidioute with a full flat grind, thinking this might be far more suitable to my uses going forward.

cqaMULj.jpg

Once out of the tube, it was immediately apparent that the weak pull and lackluster walk-and-talk were a bit of a repeat - less than stellar, though admittedly a bit better than my previous example (the tiniest bit). Aside from the action, everything else was pretty excellent - beautifully jigged bone with that wonderful autumn hue, excellent blade geometry, and the F&F is overall up to GEC's usual standards.

Recalling previous discussions regarding methods that were implemented to try and improve the action, I went ahead and got the WD-40 and Dawn out - it was time to give this knife the best possible chance at being as awesome as possible.

3YxB0g3.jpg

I gave it a good squirt or two of the WD-40 and started working the blade back and forth. Immediately, I started seeing black crud working its way out of the backspring and even started seeing quite a few metal shavings working themselves loose (I've heard of this but this one would be a first for me). I continued this for about 10 minutes and then took it to my sink to give it a hot bath with the Dawn soap. I continued to work the action until the water dripping out was no longer black or even gray. After letting it dry, I put a couple drops of mineral oil in the joint and worked it some more.

Even though the pull is still a bit lighter than I might care for, the action is remarkably improved. It practically sings now when snapping it open and closed - I'd compare this to some of my 15s now, very satisfactory.

It was at this point that I thought, "You know what? Why don't I give this a good month of honest use and see what happens?". It sounded good to me and the concept for this thread was born.

First, I wanted to compare the 97 to some of my most carried users. As one can tell, there is a noticeable size difference. This is going to be an interesting exercise for me but I think it will prove to be enjoyable.

Py7Ed9s.jpg

It's a Big 'Un (or the H40 is simply that small...)!

YNDVOZ9.jpg

It is my plan to carry this knife everyday until around this time next month - posting a pic of sorts each day to keep me honest and show the journey in a sense. Because I do not want to set myself up for failure, I will allow myself to be accompanied by one other blade each day with the idea that the 97 gets reached for first.

Today, I have the #33 (also new) as well. I think they make for a nice looking pair.

DWSV79t.jpg

I treat factory edges a bit differently than some folks here. Unless it is egregiously dull, I will not put my own edge on a blade until I have used it a few times. This is mostly because I want to get a feel for the factory edge and make a mental note of each thing that I might be inclined to change about it. In this case, the edge was nice and sharp and I am very pleased with the thinness behind the edge - this is going to make for a nice slicer.

First task that I am putting this to - slicing up an apple. This is usually how I eat my fruit - having a very full beard and mustache, anything that I can do to make my eating neater makes me happy as well as my significant other.

MZgIet2.jpg

z4ghma7.jpg

It performed the task quite efficiently and admirably. In fact, the knife did way better than the apple tasted... too long in the fruit basket, I think. The long blade is going to be rather ideal with regards to my daily eating habits.

The patina begins!

iGpBBzx.jpg

I hope that I will not bore you all with my ongoing exercise. I will try and post here everyday and will hopefully make it somewhat interesting.

In the interim though, I would love to read your 97 user stories and see any accompanying pics!

Sláinte!

HTQlgiy.jpg

Last edited:
I like your thinking.... I am sort of sub-conciously doing this with my 23 LL in mesquite. I've been carrying it every day for about a week now.... along with at least 2 or 3 others (as usual). It's the only one that has not rotated out during this past week.
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.....

Nice thread. Recently I acquired a 97 Beaver tail, and initial impression was total disappointment at the anemic spring, although the knife as a whole is impressively constructed, fit and finish in that regard are near perfect, and the blade grinds are beautifully done, the only nit I had was the pull, and that was a big one for me. Having read around these parts a little bit recently it was mentioned in a few posts that Bill tried to get the action on these knives to be accurate to samples in his collection...be that as it may. Well, I took a step back and decided to re-evaluate this knife on it's own merits...I do love the large size of it, it fits my hand very well, and the Coke bottle shape handle is very comfortable when being used in a choked up grip.

I have been using mine on some food prep duties, and also cutting up apples and plums etc, and have found that this seems to be this knifes stride. The action is exceptionally smooth on mine and it tugs past the half stop like it isn't even there. It came sharp enough from the the tube to go strait into use without even a stropping. In the kitchen it is an excellent peeler, parer, slicer, and meat cutter. I would gladly have this one accompany me if traveling to be put into duty as a prep knife, as I often get pressed into cooking whenever I visit friends or family because of my past history of being in the food service industry. It is in that perfect size range where it can fit the bill to do the job of several other kitchen knives in a pinch.

I've been using it bunch lately, harvesting peppers, cutting down some tomato plants that were fading, and in the kitchen preparing meals...maybe I will use it a solo knife for a total meal preparation...I'll try to snag a photo tomorrow. The more I use this one, the more it is growing on me...good luck on your test, that Allegheny is a real beauty, and I must say, well complimented by the 33.

in hand pic...

full

Last edited:
Dylan, I’m delighted that you’ve taken up this challenge for yourself!

To me, the most interesting thing about threads like this isn’t the choice of knife or the day-to-day experiences with it. Rather, it is the resultant learning and conclusions drawn about one’s personal taste and relationship with pocket cutlery.

Given your gift for observation and exposition, I’d say we are all in for a treat and may even learn something about ourselves as we consider our reactions to your reflections. Thanks for taking us along for the ride! Have fun with it!

Dylan, excellent all around. I'll post up a shot of my example of this exact knife when I get home later. Mine has a really nice patina from its duties as my general eating knife when at home.

That said, your pictures are making me want to pick up a second example to keep in pristine condition, as they really are beautiful with a clean blade and unmarred bolsters.

Great opening post and idea for a thread Dylan! :thumbsup: The Tidioute #97 Allegheny that you chose is one of the most attractive of the run. Of course I’m one that likes a Tidioute just as much as a Northfield. I actually have three #97’s myself. I have a Stag and an Ebony. I also have Charlie’s Waynorth version. I’ve never carried either one and I really like larger knives! I’m looking forward to following your thread and seeing your comments. I know you will provide us with some honest and objective comments and observations. :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, all, for the encouraging words. I will do my best to stay on top of things here.

Great opening post and idea for a thread Dylan! :thumbsup: The Tidioute #97 Allegheny that you chose is one of the most attractive of the run. Of course I’m one that likes a Tidioute just as much as a Northfield. I actually have three #97’s myself. I have a Stag and an Ebony. I also have Charlie’s Waynorth version. I’ve never carried either one and I really like larger knives! I’m looking forward to following your thread and seeing your comments. I know you will provide us with some honest and objective comments and observations. :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Ron. You have a fine trio, my friend. I missed the boat on both the Stag and Waynorth versions - I don't think there were many made in Stag due to its size and even less made for Charlie. If my exercise continues to endear me to the pattern, I may look to try and acquire other examples.

Today marks Day 2 of my exercise - so far, aside from something I will go over below, this has been rather enjoyable.

I am a software engineer that works from home so using my knives in a "work" capacity is simply not something that happens anymore. My desk is usually littered with a number of knives though and they often get handled in some form or another while I am puzzling over lines of code. So, as a result, I am usually using my knives in whatever manner that otherwise makes sense and one of those everyday tasks happens to be food prep.

We are a family that eats pretty decently - my lunches are usually comprised of a good sandwich or wrap, accompanied on many occasions by a big salad. I am often using my carry of the day to prep veggies and such. Not only does this give me great opportunities to use my knives but it also demonstrates well enough some of the attributes that I have come to appreciate in many of my blades. Much of the use that this 97 will see will be in the kitchen or other related tasks.

After I posted the original post here last night, I made myself a sandwich and that is where the first matter of note came to my attention. Most of the veggies had already been sliced up by my wife but not the pickles (yes, I like pickles) so I thought, "Perfect! Another opportunity to put this guy to work!". Unfortunately, despite seemingly being sharp enough out of the tube, the 97 (going to have to give this guy a name, I think) had some trouble with slicing up the pickles length wise. Not a big deal, I will just plan on tuning up the edge in the next day or two. Regardless, I got a marvelous start to a patina and the length of this blade really shines in a kitchen environment.

For breakfast, I usually have a bagel and cream cheese with a couple of eggs and some fruit. Again, the blade of this 97 is perfect for splitting bagels and though I generally don't find that pocket cutlery spreads cream cheese as efficiently as a butter/table knife, the 97 got it done this time - proving that it is quite capable.

Some thoughts in conclusion for now:
  • While I am working from home or puttering about, I usually just wear gym shorts and a t-shirt. I have not been put off at all by the size and weight in my pocket yet - this is a positive so far, though I could feel differently when I carry it in my jeans.
  • I have come to really appreciate the longer blades on some of my slipjoints. It is the reason that my Waynorth Lambsfoot is one of my most used knives - that blade length gets it done. I am appreciating the same in the 97 so far.
I hope, as time goes on, that my posts become more concise so I do apologize for the lengthy thoughts thus far.

tjB9flf.jpg

QDovBIc.jpg

ZbBg7kP.jpg

I use and carry mine quite a bit, almost carried it today. But with a Bullbuster on the belt and a Case large stockman and the 86 forum knife in my pocket I already had plenty :D I don't mind that the pull is a bit light because the walk'n'talk is there. The flat ground 97's slice like a light saber imho. With the very slight recurve it excels in food prep as others have stated. You can see by the patina on mine where the "sweet spot" is:cool::thumbsup: Very much looking forward to your opinions on it

Nothing too eye opening since this morning but I've been carrying it all day without any other sharp accompaniment. I didn't want to spend too much time tuning the edge so I just ran a few passes over the strop and got it to popping hairs - 'tis good enough for now.

It's keeping me company while I enjoy a frequent evening ritual.

2Fg2Mkp.jpg

Note the saying on the band :D:

IekOImD.jpg

Back