The Quintessential Coke Bottle Thread (The Patterns, The History, The Experiences)

I got in an interesting knife today - it caught my eye due to the marriage of a favored blade to a frame that has captured my interest considerably.

I've noted before in this thread that there doesn't seem to be much evidence to suggest that the large "Coke Bottles" were made anywhere other than here in America but that isn't true for the more medium sized versions. Solingen and Sheffield made examples can be seen in collections and old catalog prints.

I scooped up an old Sheffield made example (J. Rodgers & Sons) - it's my first medium Coke Bottle and so far I am really liking the size and feel. It affirms my thoughts on the personal comfort of this frame (in this size) and I hope to be able to gather more examples in the future. This is a great size for everyday use and carry and I find it interesting that it isn't more popular.

Horn Synthetic covers, all steel construction, and a Lambsfoot blade. Blade has seen a grinder unfortunately but otherwise, this knife is in great shape with a delightful action to it. I hope to clean up the edge some and make it a serviceable cutting tool.

4Osad0o.jpg

2uvlAjx.jpg

It's interesting to note some of the size differences.

rZAwOcm.jpg

Slàinte!

2R0khJs.jpg

Excellent addition to your collection Dylan, an unusual Lambsfoot, and a very interesting knife. I have the one below, which has been sitting around waiting for a minor repair for a long time!😏

bOwjatw.jpg

ZIQXwFZ.jpg

JSjQmVQ.jpg

Like the other Sheffield knives I've seen in this pattern, it is relatively small, though I've only seen a few.

oohisq9.jpg

a89B55w.jpg

I would have said that it was made post-WW2, when Rodgers were very much in decline. I don't like the lack of a kick on it, which looks odd, and makes me wonder if Rodgers used a blade from another pattern. I have to wonder that about the Lambsfoot too, though it looks like a better-made knife, the blade looks like it belongs to an older one. Sheffield cutlery firms did all sorts of things during the post-WW2 period.

I have many Rodgers knives with similar black synthetic covers, and quite like it. In this catalogue from 1982, it's referred to as 'Black Cellulose Acetate'. I've heard Sheffield cutlers call it 'Ebonite', but as with 'Bexoid' for example, or 'Ivorine', Sheffield cutlers often continue to use the name of branded materials after they have been replaced.

5d66WX9.jpg

7bVTaBt.jpg

It's a shame that someone made a bit of a mess of the blade, but there's still enough steel there to make it very much useable. Nice find my friend :) :thumbsup:

Excellent addition to your collection Dylan, an unusual Lambsfoot, and a very interesting knife. I have the one below, which has been sitting around waiting for a minor repair for a long time!😏

bOwjatw.jpg

ZIQXwFZ.jpg

JSjQmVQ.jpg

Like the other Sheffield knives I've seen in this pattern, it is relatively small, though I've only seen a few.

oohisq9.jpg

a89B55w.jpg

I would have said that it was made post-WW2, when Rodgers were very much in decline. I don't like the lack of a kick on it, which looks odd, and makes me wonder if Rodgers used a blade from another pattern. I have to wonder that about the Lambsfoot too, though it looks like a better-made knife, the blade looks like it belongs to an older one. Sheffield cutlery firms did all sorts of things during the post-WW2 period.

I have many Rodgers knives with similar black synthetic covers, and quite like it. In this catalogue from 1982, it's referred to as 'Black Cellulose Acetate'. I've heard Sheffield cutlers call it 'Ebonite', but as with 'Bexoid' for example, or 'Ivorine', Sheffield cutlers often continue to use the name of branded materials after they have been replaced.

5d66WX9.jpg

7bVTaBt.jpg

It's a shame that someone made a bit of a mess of the blade, but there's still enough steel there to make it very much useable. Nice find my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the input and the pictures, Jack - informative, as always. That is a bit of an odd blade on yours, isn't it - I wonder what it might have been paired with originally? The lack of kick is very curious and I wonder if the blade might have needed modification to fit in the frame. These are both interesting pieces and it gets me thinking about what led to their manufacture. The blade on mine is roughly the same length as the Waynorth blade - making for a very comparable study of the two.

I got in an interesting knife today - it caught my eye due to the marriage of a favored blade to a frame that has captured my interest considerably.

I've noted before in this thread that there doesn't seem to be much evidence to suggest that the large "Coke Bottles" were made anywhere other than here in America but that isn't true for the more medium sized versions. Solingen and Sheffield made examples can be seen in collections and old catalog prints.

I scooped up an old Sheffield made example (J. Rodgers & Sons) - it's my first medium Coke Bottle and so far I am really liking the size and feel. It affirms my thoughts on the personal comfort of this frame (in this size) and I hope to be able to gather more examples in the future. This is a great size for everyday use and carry and I find it interesting that it isn't more popular.

Horn Synthetic covers, all steel construction, and a Lambsfoot blade. Blade has seen a grinder unfortunately but otherwise, this knife is in great shape with a delightful action to it. I hope to clean up the edge some and make it a serviceable cutting tool.

4Osad0o.jpg

2uvlAjx.jpg

rZAwOcm.jpg

Slàinte!

2R0khJs.jpg

Good grief that coke bottle lambsfoot is awesome!

For me, a big part of what makes the coke bottle feel so good is the long skinny pivot bolster with a handle that widens and gets heavier towards the rear. There aren't too many patterns that have that almost inch long skinny pivot bolster and then add ~50% more width in the back. I like how normal grip and pinch grip both work with that pivot bolster design. That, along with the canted blade angle, make them feel very unique. I love the unique balance they have.

Wish I knew where my 5 inch closed Rough Rider smooth white bone copperhead coke bottle rolled and/or slithered to. I haven't seen it going on seven or eight years.
Naturally, it has been discontinued.

Will a 5 inch closed Daddy Barlow fill the role, and fix the hole in busted heart?
Hope the Daddy Barlow isn't sold out (or the coke bottle returns to the lineup) come May.

4Osad0o.jpg

2uvlAjx.jpg

rZAwOcm.jpg

Slàinte!

2R0khJs.jpg

Wow thats a really cool find. I've slowly grown to love the look and functional design of the lambsfoot, still trying to pick up my first, but finding one in a coke bottle pattern must be a very rare find. Well done.

I thought it might have been resurrected by cigarrodog cigarrodog cigarrodog cigarrodog
I saw Coke Bottle and that it was Dylan’s page, and I’ve been catching up, ever since. A great read. I have a Waynorth 97 that I adore. I may be the odd person out, but with a blade this size, my preference is for a lighter pull. That quick, sharp sting of metal slicing my flesh, etc. Pàdruig Pàdruig , your 97 diary has been brilliant.

As for Sheffield, not a 97, but a vintage Joseph Rodgers.

Back