The Radial Bladeworks Sacrifical Rhino

Alright guys, I've made a few knives for kicks, but the time has come to really ensure I'm producing real tools that paying customers would be proud to own. You know what that means?

Time to kick the shit out of one of my products.

This is the Radial Bladeworks Test Knife, or, as I like to call it, the Sacrificial Rhino.
It's a quarter inch thick, 'cause fat bottom girls make the rockin' world go 'round. It's 4 inches, and sports my major design feature: it's ricasso-less/semi-ricasso-less. This is because I learned to sharpen on Japanese waterstones and prefer the more traditional Japanese-style technique for sharpening (a sweeping push-pull at a ~45 degree hold) and ricasso's tend to require overly large sharpening notches to prevent corner scraping your stone.
fDHTvlR.jpg

The handle is made from Purpleheart, which you can see is in the process of tanning to a nice deep purple.

I also made a test sheath for it. I am putting the holding strength of epoxy cement to the test with a stitchless design, although I already know I will not be using epoxy for "production." My next test sheath will be stitchless contact cement and we'll see how much use that stuff can deal with.
26XLTYh.jpg

Threw some curves in there to liven it up a bit.

Oh, and there are some fit n finish issues with the whole package, but that's only because it is a tester/abuse knife, so I didn't really care much to make sure it was perfect. As you can see, I didn't even burnish the edges. Whatevs bro, idgaf.
MoRySox.jpg

Why didn't I take the time to get 'er all nice n prettied up to perfection, you ask?

I am a plumber. It is the single most abusive environment into which I have ever employed a knife. I'm gonna make a post showing you the shit (sometimes literally) that my poor knives have to deal with on the daily. Below are some shots of the knife and sheath after one day on the job.
DXXuXQv.jpg

Yzb64jQ.jpg

The steel is O1, so in one sense I'm asking for corrosion problems, but I love carbon steel, I love working with O1, I don't mind a patina (in fact, I like the character), and I don't mind cleaning and oiling my knife daily.

But seriously, look at the shit my sheath has already been through lol. Kydex is obviously the superior option for construction/heavy-duty service environments, but I wanted a leather sheath, again, to test the epoxy, and, well, because I just wanted to rep some leather.

It was dull near the tip because I used it to scrape silicone off rough-hewn tile, so first up was a good sharpening!
nKNSdgx.jpg

Naniwa 220 SS, Naniwa Chosera 1k, King 6k. Standard progression. These are my go-to stones when I just need to bomb an edge on a knife and don't have time to play around. Great beaters, and great results

UNzSNr7.jpg

N79C9HX.jpg

Sidenote: I ran the knife stupidly hard. It's somewhere in between 62 and 65 Rockwell, and I would suspect it's closer to the latter, because it literally feels like I am sharpening a file. I did this to test the extreme end of the steel's toughness. O1 may not be the hot new sexy steel, but you'll see that this stuff can perform damn well.

OkkMtfx.jpg

The saber grind on this fatty is 7dps, the edge was sharpened to about 10 dps, so even though there is a good bit of bevel there, it is still quite thin behind the edge. This quarter inch thick blade goes through cardboard no problem. I have to cut up a ton of cardboard on the job (hot water heater boxes, toilet boxes, that kind of stuff) and I find that thinness BTE is the foremost affecting factor. Obvious there are better geometries for cutting, but the point is that even a sharpened prybar can cut well if you keep the BTE low.

pdgJ6NN.jpg

I chopped straight through a half-inch thick branch in one swing with this hair whittling edge. I just found that really satisfying personally. I ended up going on an impromptu branch pruning detour after this pic.

7GgGJ16.jpg

It's too small of a knife to chop well, but the absurd heft of the .25" stock does let you take some good bites out of wood.

Batoning with it was obviously a dream; it's quarter-inch thick, convex and saber ground. Basically perfectly designed for this task.
oFdARg3.jpg

Caveat:
XpBHBVZ.jpg

Four inches is a bit short.

(that's what she said)

Feather sticking is always quite nice with a freehand sharpened edge simply because you will always have some small degree of microconvexing, so the mirrored edge takes up curls really well.
RXCunoa.jpg

Plus the semi-ricasso-less design allows me to fully choke up so I can minimize wrist strain in weirdly long feathersticking marathons.
q1k2DWJ.jpg

I kept the spine super sharp. I have to hacksaw a lot of ABS pipe and it requires deburring afterwards in order to clean up the cut, so I wanted to test the ultra-spine out on some wood:
tn5dtqg.jpg

It shreds like a god damn tax fraudster under an IRS investigation. It shreds like a pro snowboarder. It's like... just... it just shreds wood very nicely. I like it. I imagine striking a ferro rod would be extremely satisfying with a spine like this.

The edge was holding up annoyingly well for the amount of effort I had put in by this point, so I just started whaling on some cross-grain to see what I could do

Last edited:
Bd5wAjf.jpg

And the result?
nLmMqPx.jpg

I was genuinely impressed at this point. I liked O1, but this was the moment where it earned my full respect. Overly hard, still no chipping after everything, still shaving after all that chopping. Impressive indeed.

5P5x2hM.jpg

It sucks for food prep, obviously. Apples crack even through short cuts. Just too thick. But it'll still cut it in a pinch. I figured this would be the case, but I also wanted an excuse to start working a more visible patina onto the thing.

aVLsxOR.jpg

Slowly but surely, we'll get a full natural patina on there. Excited to see the character grow.

PWXj2yQ.jpg

After I shut the testing down, I stropped it back up to hair whittling, mainly just to take off the patina staining from the edge.

Un6LsWA.jpg

I'm pretty stoked by the performance of this blade. I have already beaten the crap out of it and it has pretty much scoffed at anything I threw at it. This specific knife and sheath are far from perfect in terms of fit and finish, and I really don't like the belt loop design (it was just super quick and dirty for a tester sheath), but they are still done well enough that I am excited to continue hammering on the Sacrificial Rhino. I'll post more developments as I put it through more work, but so far, after about 10 hours of use, total, I am thoroughly impressed

Last edited:
Impressive! Altho 1/4"seems a bit overkill. Love to see a cutter about 1/8" thick.
Haha yeah man, quarter inch is dumb. 1/8th is the main thickness I like to work with now, and 3/16 is the thickest I’ll go. But I had a bunch of quarter inch from when I made knives with an angle grinder and I didn’t wanna use any of my “good” stock for a knife I wasn’t going to sell

Back