The SAK of my dreams...

...would be a Soldier with scissors instead of the Caplifter. Why is is so hard for Victorinox to put scissors on the ALU-models?
I love the Soldier because it´s more robust and the awl is superior to the ordenary red SAKs.
So, who would buy a Soldier with scissors?

I'd buy a soldier with scissors though I'd prefer to simply add the scissors to the soldier's current set up rather than remove the cap lifter/screw driver

They used to have Alox models with scissors. One particular example is the "Tourist" model.

tourist_alox.jpg

*Picture taken from http://aqdwr.org/knives/bob/sak/tourist_alox.html

I would rather keep the cap lifter because it also contains the large screwdriver and wire stripper. I carry the Electrician Plus as well as a Classic on my keychain just for those scissors that work so well.

I'd buy one (actually several) in a second! But as houdini28 and mrd74 said, I'd like the Soldier with scissors added, sort of like how they added the saw to create the Electrician Plus, put scissors there and make it a 3-wide. The Electrician Plus is not too unwieldy so I'd be pickled tink with a "Soldier Plus"!

I'd like a locking 111mm with just a blade no corkscrew or phillips screwdrive (Alpiner / Cowboy).

And a 84mm Alox with a mainblade and scissors to accompany my Soldier.

:eek:

Any Alox model with scissors I would buy.I like the idea on the soldier with scissors!

i just bought a victorinox soldier today... it's red and has checkered alox handles, and instead of the victorinox shield, it just has a cross. the blade says victorinox on it...

i was wondering if this was a new or special model of the soldier or something. all the pics i've seen online show a ribbed (not checked) alox handle with the victorinox shield and not just the cross.

flybri said:
i just bought a victorinox soldier today... it's red and has checkered alox handles, and instead of the victorinox shield, it just has a cross. the blade says victorinox on it...

i was wondering if this was a new or special model of the soldier or something. all the pics i've seen online show a ribbed (not checked) alox handle with the victorinox shield and not just the cross.

You probably have a Red Alox Pioneer, discontinued in the 80's and very much in collector demand. The early Pioneers did not have the engraving panel on the back. Good find:thumbup:

felinevet said:
You probably have a Red Alox Pioneer, discontinued in the 80's and very much in collector demand. The early Pioneers did not have the engraving panel on the back. Good find:thumbup:
Really, the local pawnshop in my area has a *box* of those cross-only Alux SAK's, red, silver, and gold ones for $10 apiece, there had to be about 10 of them in the box

i thought that since it was a cross-only knife that it was a cheap knockoff so i didn't look at them too closely....

MacTech said:
Really, the local pawnshop in my area has a *box* of those cross-only Alux SAK's, red, silver, and gold ones for $10 apiece, there had to be about 10 of them in the box

i thought that since it was a cross-only knife that it was a cheap knockoff so i didn't look at them too closely....

I will give you $15 each for any of the colored ones (other than Silver) in good condition if you're willing to pick them up and ship to me. Make sure they all say Victorinox. Let me know at fveap@earthlink.net Thanks, Tim.

felinevet said:
I will give you $15 each for any of the colored ones (other than Silver) in good condition if you're willing to pick them up and ship to me. Make sure they all say Victorinox. Let me know at fveap@earthlink.net Thanks, Tim.
I'll check them out, i'll be stopping off at the pawnshop this Saturday, so you'd be looking for red and copper then?, they had a few red ones, the copper one had worn paint....

MacTech said:
I'll check them out, i'll be stopping off at the pawnshop this Saturday, so you'd be looking for red and copper then?, they had a few red ones, the copper one had worn paint....

Thanks, yes, red and copper. I can only use ones that have good (not perfect) finish.

felinevet said:

i just did a little more digging for pictures online and your are right. i have a red alox pioneer, no engraving panel, brand new (but no box). i had no idea it was in collector demand... the store had it in the bargain bin and was trying to get rid of it!

should i store it away or something now? i was planning on adding it to my EDC rotation...

flybri said:
i just did a little more digging for pictures online and your are right. i have a red alox pioneer, no engraving panel, brand new (but no box). i had no idea it was in collector demand... the store had it in the bargain bin and was trying to get rid of it!

should i store it away or something now? i was planning on adding it to my EDC rotation...

The only problem with EDC is that the colored finish is pretty vulnerable to pocket/use wear and comes off with time, showing the silver Alox underneath.

haha darn... i guess i have to go to the store again and get something that i wouldn't mind messing up...

time to put this one away so when i can give it to my kids or grandkids many many years from now lol

Will be a Spartan with scissors instead of the little blade!!!
Is there a model like that?

Tango44 said:

I would say not because you cannot replace a small blade with scissors. Certain SAK tools are paired with others on the same back spring: the large blade is usually paired with a small blade (spartan) or the combi tool (compact) and sometimes others such as the nail file (Sportsman). Scissors will not fit on the same back spring as the large blade so they are on a sepetate back spring. Since there would be a gap if there was not one of the aforementioned tools paired with the large blade I would think that you would not find a SAK with just scissors and a large blade. The closest model I think you will find is is the compact that also has he combi tool (which IMO is a great little multi purpose tool well worth having).

Tango44 said:

Why not settle for the Climber model?
It's pretty popular because of the tool selection.

Back