The search for a couple Silver Dollars....

Ruger-New-Model-Single-Six-Colorado-Centennial-1876-1976-22-22WMR_100859611_1167_2E9AA60084436CE0.JPG

Short story long, I'm not a coin guy. But I got this idea...

So this is a Ruger Colorado Centennial that I picked up. It was built in 1976 to commemorate Colorado's crazy notion of joining the Union back in 1876.

It's pretty cool as is, but I got this idea that I would put an old 1876 silver dollar and a 1976 silver dollar in that display case with it... making my display somewhat cooler than the next guy's.

Now not being a coin guy, I bust out into the interwebs to find one of each. Suffice to say, I have no idea where to begin. There's "Grade this", "Uncirculated that", some other language I've never heard. Prices go from 10 bucks up to a Grand, and I have no idea who is legit and who ain't. EBay scares me to death in this kind of arena.

I'm not after collector grade of these, I'm just looking for an example of each that is readable, looks like a silver dollar, and won't cost "Top Dollar".

So to you coin-savvy folk: where does a simpleton like me look for these, and what is it I am asking for?

Ebay should be fine. Would look over seller items and feedback.
1776-1976 bicentennial is only silver at 40%. Generally they stopped using silver 71ish
Looks like a nice one is fairly cheap.
The 1876 will cost you a lot more. All about condition. I'd probably just get the bicentennial. Probably 1k vs 20$ for something nice

The 76 should be somewhat easier to find. Heck I edc one as a flipper.

That 1876 is gonna cost a pretty penny. Might look at if you can find a replica somewhere. Might even look into trade dollars, they wasn't as pure silver as the ones issued in the US. I sure wouldn't want to inlay a real one in a handle as cool as the idea is.

Quick google search found this:
http://collectorssupplyco.com/coins/replica-coins/-replica-1876-s-u-s-trade-dollar/prod_265.html
I'm sure there are others

Thanks fellas.

N neo71665 that replica is perfect! It's not going to inlay into the handgun, they'll just be in the presentation case with it.

The 1976 is around too.

jp9mm jp9mm I didn't know that about the silver content. Thought a "silver dollar" was just that. Makes sense that they are affordable.

As previously mentioned, the 1876 is a toughie and would have to be a Trade Dollar since the U.S. did not begin minting Morgan Dollars until 1878. You would be looking at $175 - $200 for a decent real example, I don't like replica's but it may be the best way to go for presentation purposes.

coinbuysell coinbuysell does the price go up and down on these with the price of metals?

Wondering if it might be one of those things where you keep an eye on it and buy it in the dip.... or does it even jive?

coinbuysell coinbuysell does the price go up and down on these with the price of metals?

Wondering if it might be one of those things where you keep an eye on it and buy it in the dip.... or does it even jive?

Actually, no the price of silver does not have much affect on these 1876's since they are collector coins. There is only about .77 of an ounce of silver in them so the only way the price of silver makes any difference is it MAY bring a few more buyers in that get caught up in "silver mania" but dealers and the price guides pretty much disregard the silver price on these.

As mentioned above, if silver drops 25-30% then you may have better luck buying a little nicer coin at $175 but they will not drop by the same 25-30% and that same coin may be $185 if silver goes up 25-30%. Below is a price guide, they are on the high end so you an probably get one at about 75% of the listed price, i.e. the EF 40 listed at $231 is what you can get for approx $175.

Capture.JPG

The silver price has much more affect on the lower grade Morgan and Peace dollars since they were minted in way larger numbers. Too bad you are not looking for a 1878 or 1879, you could buy the EF 40 in those years for about $40 (if not lower).

Last edited:
The silver price has much more affect on the lower grade Morgan and Peace dollars since they were minted in way larger numbers. Too bad you are not looking for a 1878 or 1879, you could buy the EF 40 in those years for about $40 (if not lower).

LOL! My luck runs like this.

Oh well, perhaps I'll just do the replica for the earlier piece then. Doubt I'm gonna encounter one while rolling up my jug of change.

Thank you for the info. Coins must be one hell of a hobby.

Back