The Sebenza 31 and Thread Locker

I have always heard that thread locker should never be used with a Sebenza and that you should never even need it.

Well, I just obtained a 31 and not only does the included literature say to go ahead and use it if needed, they also include it in the box.

I am wondering if any of you have ever felt the need to use thread locker on your Sebenza. I wonder what has changed CRK's mind.

PeanutButterFan, you know we love pics :D

I`ll have a 31 next week, I will not be looking for anything negative on it nor do I expect to find anything, if so I would not have ordered another one.

They changed the stop pin on 31s and made that part harder. That vibration might cause the screws to loosen and why CRK started including Locktite last year.

So they fixed something the wasn’t broken then went to a solution that required locktite. I’m only kidding (partly). So far I like the knife and there are no real issues with it (THAT OCCUR WHEN USING THE KNIFE CORRECTLY).

I had an issue with the pivot backing out at first when the knife was breaking in. I've since made sure to clean the screws well when taking apart and not get any grease on them or the holes in the scales before reassembly. This has kept them from backing out and they pop when loosening.

I only own one 31, several Inkosi’s, several 25’s and several Umnumzaan’s. They also come with loctite, but I’ve never used it on any of them.

Last edited:
I’ve always used blue loctite on all of my CRKs, just like the rest of my knives. Screws get loose with time and movement regardless of the brand.

They changed the stop pin on 31s and made that part harder. That vibration might cause the screws to loosen and why CRK started including Locktite last year.

I have experienced that... stop pin loosening and causing a bit of play. I Loctite my stop pin usually but haven't needed to Loctite the pivot.

Started breaking in my PJ 31 damascus 2 days ago. Brand new, broke it down to put a new lanyard on and fresh grease.

-show side stop pin screw backed out, applied loctite.
-pivot screw backed out, tightened it.
-lock side stop pin backed out, applied loctite to it as well.
-pivot screw backed out again. Said screw it and applied loctite to the pivot screw.

I absolutely understand why the screws are backing out, because the action on this knife is SUPER STIFF. I'm sure I opened it a couple hundred times per day the first 2 days with swiping, flicking with light wrist action, two handed while pinching the lock to get the detent ball groove going. I've opened and closed it until my thumb AND forearm were sore! It's getting better now then 2 days ago but some CRK's just need to be opened 4,268 times before they get nice action. I've already started wearing the blue off the thumb stud and it's still stiff.

My 2 Inkosi's open like butter sliding on hot glass plates, but they're well broken in. I'm sure the 31 will get there, and when it does I'm sure it won't need any loctite, maybe the stop pin at most if you're a flicker as the stop pin is now hardened and transmits more of that energy as physical vibrations.

Started breaking in my PJ 31 damascus 2 days ago. Brand new, broke it down to put a new lanyard on and fresh grease.

-show side stop pin screw backed out, applied loctite.
-pivot screw backed out, tightened it.
-lock side stop pin backed out, applied loctite to it as well.
-pivot screw backed out again. Said screw it and applied loctite to the pivot screw.

I absolutely understand why the screws are backing out, because the action on this knife is SUPER STIFF. I'm sure I opened it a couple hundred times per day the first 2 days with swiping, flicking with light wrist action, two handed while pinching the lock to get the detent ball groove going. I've opened and closed it until my thumb AND forearm were sore! It's getting better now then 2 days ago but some CRK's just need to be opened 4,268 times before they get nice action. I've already started wearing the blue off the thumb stud and it's still stiff.

My 2 Inkosi's open like butter sliding on hot glass plates, but they're well broken in. I'm sure the 31 will get there, and when it does I'm sure it won't need any loctite, maybe the stop pin at most if you're a flicker as the stop pin is now hardened and transmits more of that energy as physical vibrations.

That is not what I wanted to hear while waiting for mine to arrive. Was there any loctite on the screws from the factory?

That is not what I wanted to hear while waiting for mine to arrive. Was there any loctite on the screws from the factory?
No, the screws are all clean from the factory. And to be honest, if you always two hand opened a 31 you might never have a screw back out. I'm just impatient and trying to break my 31 in for some light action quickly. No biggie in my book.

Back