The Sharpest Knives??

contender

I was curious as to who you guys thought made the sharpest bladed knives out of the box. In my opinion, there are several makers/manufacturers whose knives are "hair-popping" and scary sharp with no additional sharpening necessary. In my opinion, these makers/manufacturers stand above the rest.

These are those 'gold medal" makers that I refer to:

Customs Folders: Phil Boguszewski - nothing else comes close. Every piece I have ever purchased of his is scary sharp. I cannot reproduce his edge, but best of all, his edges stay sharp.

Production Folders: Microtech - their quality control is fantastic. Say what you want about their knives, but you cannot beat the quality control of their knives sharpness out of the box.

Fixed Blades: Busse Combat - for big, thick blades, they can't be beat. Out of the box, every time, they not only "pop the hairs" but take some skin if you are not careful. Better yet, they stay sharp forever even through hard use and with just a little touch up they become scary sharp again. Perhaps part of the secret is the special steel (INFI).

What do you guys think?!

I've had lots of knives that came extraordinarily sharp, but none ever came even close to my Marbles Fieldcraft. Now that knife comes SHARP!!! :eek:

Cold Steel is known for the sharpness of its blades out of the box. Have to agree with Buzzbait, though; my Fieldcraft was scary sharp out of the box.

For me, the sharpest, out of the box, is as follows:

folders: Al Mar SERE 2000 and the Cold Steel Voyager. Since the Voyager line is made of AUS 8, it is not as "durable" as the Al Mar, but boy o boy, is it sharp!!!!

Fixed blade: This is tough because many have come, as new, with a very sharp edge. I would say the Chris Reeve one piece Shadow III is the sharpest, plus it also holds its edge well.

My sharpest NIB folder was a swept SpeedTech Synergy.

My sharpest NIB fixed blade (just in terms of hair-popping) was a Becker Companion. Beat my Busse 7, Marbles Bison, and an A2 necker made by a custom maker who generally gets high praises for sharpness.

Production... I'd have to say MT or Cold steel. I had hairless arms in 30 seconds after opening the respective boxes.

JC

My Microtech Socom Elite was REALLY sharp out of the box. Oh crap - I'm bleeding just thinking about it again. :p

Chris Reeve does a great job on his folder edge's out of the box. The Busse #7 mentioned earlier is not Busse's latest and greatest stuff.

All his knives today are made with INFI, which according to Cliff Stamp, is the best steel on the planet. Those edges (on his INFI stuff) are phenomenal

Production Folder: It is a tie between Microtech and Chris Reeve. These are the sharpest factory knives I have gotten, and I think CRK wins out by a very narrow margin. This is very great considereing the price difference.

Have no customs or fixed blades....yet, nut have a TNT on order with Tom

Erik

Micro+spyderco get the Silver
But THE SHARPEST I have ever played with was a Kershaw, I was more surprised than you.
It was the best edge I have ever felt, and I get to paly with them all.

Still don't own one though.

The two sharpest knives I have ever gotten are my Microtech LCC and my small Sebenza. I really can't tell which one was sharper.

Spyderco does a pretty good job too IMO. I have also gotten a few BM that were really sharp when new.

Production folders: Sebenza, Mnandi, Microtech and Kershaw

Production fixed: Delta Z

Custom fixed: JSP Blade Rigger, Walter Brend Model 2 and Nealy Aikuchi

Custom folders: DDR EDC, Carson M4, Chew Spitfire, Mayo TNT, anything Dozier, Elishewitz Striker and Persian

Man. . .I love wicked / scary sharp knives ! :D

Murray Carter. Both his field and kitchen knives are insanely sharp. Saw him most recently at the Cal Knife Expo this afternoon.

Fixed blade award : goes to Bob Dozier. Its an amazing balance between a toothy edge and shaving edge that is fantastic on the job.

Folder award:For highly polished edge hair flinger folder it used to be microtech, but now its Dieter CQD MK 1 by MOD

Sung To the Tune of....
(Well, you'll get it)
Love Busse Number Nine.......!
Actually had one of my two #9's that was sharper than any of my regular INFI blades, which are very sharp. ALL take hair off arm: that's no biggie: but thick, tough, facial hair: that's the test.
[Another good test is the plastic-wrap test: touch-cut the plastic edge-on: no slicing! Does it part without any effort? Amazon.com books come wrapped in great Test-Plastic ;) ]
Climber ___.-^-._.-^-._.-^-.___

Production knife: I would say my Busse Satin Jack, my 1/4 inch razor blade!!!:D

Custom knife: Anything Bob Dozier makes!!

Back