the shop. in photos

I figure it's time to start looking at the shop. Especially since I've had to redo a lot of it after our double annual rainfall in the past couple weeks. with 65mph max gusts!

Here's my current grinding table

2010-02-10-0006.jpeg

On the right is my workhorse, a coote 2x72 with 10 inch contact wheel. The motor is a Baldor 1HP with a 4 step pulley arrangement and uses the motor weight for tensioning. I'm building a cart type table for holding this setup.

On the left is an old National Industrial Tools 2x48 with a grinding wheel. It's a 3450 rpm motor and is RIDICULOUSLY fast. If I can find a 1725 RPM motor that will fit the casing it will become much more usable. I may also at some point cut som heavy angle iron to mount the rig to and run a pulley system. The 2x48 isn't nearly as common as the 2x72, but if I can get it down from 5000 surface feet per minute to about 1000, it may become the edge grind finishing sander once stripped of the platen and tool rest.

This is the current 3 burner forge setup. It's honestly overkill and not as efficient as it could be, but I've learned to work it well and can hold a good heat with blade movements for soak times. I've got another forge body on a nice pedestal stand that I'm finishing up soon, I'll get photos of that up later.

2009-08-04-0001.jpeg

Last edited:
This is my new drill press- a 1981 Vulcan 13 inch 12 speed press.

2010-02-03-0003.jpeg

I made the stand, and plan to put in drawers when I have a moment. Accurate press, very little chatter inherent in it, and the chuck will bite on a 1/8 inch bit, which is nie for a big capacity chuck to do.

On the table is a cross slide vise, which allows for some really fine centering of hole placement, but it's taking some getting used to as I've spent the last three holding work by hand (unsafe! don't do this at home!) and eyeballing everything. I also need to lap the gib strips on the cross slide and adjust the slack takeup. Oh, and put longer tightening nuts on so I can reach them.

Behind that you can see, mounted low, at kneeling height, my old Harbor Freight economy special $50 5 speed press. It's mounted low because my 6 year old son shares my workshop and has inherited the press. Which has a drill press vise on it now, because you don't hold work to be drilled by hand!. Really :D

here's another shot of it, with a larger frame of reference- the dresser on the left is having the drawers reglued and it's set up mostly to hold handle materials (yeah, I have that much) with the top two drawers being organized to hold some tooling and my pin and tubing stock.

2010-02-03-0001.jpeg

In the back there is a green shevling unit that holds my son's projects and tools- except when I'm using it for drying cabinet drawers or something. :D

Behind all that you can see my small blade tempering overn, which is a convection model toaster oven. placing the blades on a rack over a backing sheet with a high walled baking sheet over that I can get a nice even tempering heat. It features a timer (which only goes up to one hour, wish it would do 3.25 hours). I also use it for bar snacks, as it's sitting on the Household Bar.

Oh yeah, while I was building my drill press stand, Leif was busy learning to drill holes:

2010-02-03-0001.jpeg

Leif loves seeing his photo on BF.

There will be more photos of this new acquisition as I get it set up in my shop (this is while moving it out of the previous owner's shop.) - a light duty craftsman 109 metalworking lathe:

2010-02-14-0005.jpeg

That is by far the cleanest knifemaker's shop I've ever seen. I dig the old tools you have scattered around, too.

Ha! Lest yall think it's THAT clean:

Here's the outside portion where I do rough work, a lot of the pounding and glue ups in decent weather.

2010-02-15-0001.jpeg

2010-02-15-0002.jpeg

The lathe has a home, I'm still levelling the table, then I need to make sure that the shims are right on the lathe bed.

2010-02-15-0003.jpeg

And my dart board, and Leif's on the bottom left. Helps ensure a clear space :D

2010-02-15-0004.jpeg

A few more lathe shots, showing the motor and jackshaft mounting:

2010-02-15-0001.jpeg

The gear train for screwcutting.

2010-02-15-0002.jpeg

And the view from the tailstock end

2010-02-15-0003.jpeg

awesome pics Christof.. looks like a nice shop man...:thumbup: i like that it's outside and well ventilated..

Leif is getting big..:)

It's apparently problematic to get photos OF me doing stuff. I'll try, though.

Back