The Shovel Discussion Thread!

Ok--I wasn't alone in being interested in scythes, so let's try my other off-the-beaten-path tool interest: shovels!

We'll need a thread for drawknives and spokeshaves, too. And how 'bout a thread for froes?
laugh.gif

Anytime I go to an old farm auction I always look for the old solid back shovels and tile spades made by. Blue Grass Belknap, True Temper or the old Ames Company shovels. Years ago I hand dug graves in my area and found out quick that "new modern" shovels were pathetic, cheap junk. Thank God for Kubota back hoes now. I also love the solid back tile spades. The old ones are much better than the cheap made stamped out junk that's sold today. They are getting hard to find. Close to where I live there is a a local Friday night public consignment auction that is located in Amish country and a good True Temper solid back with good handle will bring anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks. I spend as much time restoring old shovels as I do axes and hatchets.

Anytime I go to an old farm auction I always look for the old solid back shovels and tile spades made by. Blue Grass Belknap, True Temper or the old Ames Company shovels. Years ago I hand dug graves in my area and found out quick that "new modern" shovels were pathetic, cheap junk. Thank God for Kubota back hoes now. I also love the solid back tile spades. The old ones are much better than the cheap made stamped out junk that's sold today. They are getting hard to find. Close to where I live there is a a local Friday night public consignment auction that is located in Amish country and a good True Temper solid back with good handle will bring anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks. I spend as much time restoring old shovels as I do axes and hatchets.

At my family's camp (which was originally built in the 20's) there's an old solid-backed TrueTemper with double rivets on the neck. It also has depth markings stamped on the handle!

I know that Council still makes a solid backed shovel for the Forestry Service, but I haven't got to play with one.

As far as Predator goes, I bet it would be possible to request a full-length handle. They're made individually and you'll notice that the stock image of the Big Red doesn't show serrations--this is because I had George Lesche at Predator add them for me for just a little extra. I also know of one fellow who ordered a shorter version of the Raven, so I bet if you didn't mind paying for the extra material he'd put a long handle on there.

We'll need a thread for drawknives and spokeshaves, too. And how 'bout a thread for froes?
laugh.gif
i was at a pawn shop today and the fellow had a spokeshave made in america in 1858... yes... 1858!!! stamped right on one of the handles...
i may just have to go back and get it 'just because'... it is in great shape too... he wants 30 bucks, i go in there quite a bit so i may be able to get it for 23-25 bucks...

Anyone ever see one of the Council folding jobbies in person? They make it for the Forestry Service so I imagine it must be more robust than most other available tools of similar build. Interesting in that it comes with a full-length handle!

Council-Combi-Tool-BEN-_i_bmn133451z.jpg

I don't see that so much as a folding shovel, though it does fold.

I think it's a Hoe, no wait it's a Shovel too! type of feature. saves from packing in two tools.

I think it's a Hoe, no wait it's a Shovel too! type of feature. saves from packing in two tools.

Yes, but there's also nothing that prevents you from shortening the handle on it to match that of more typical entrenching tools. And it's just not a shovel and hoe--it's a pick, too! :p

Let's hope this thread doesn't lean towards everyone collecting shovels...My axe problem is bad enough and I can't afford that sickness the way it is.
The pics of the customized trench shovels are cool though....DANGIT!!!!

Not to further derail, but I got an old D.R. Barton cooper shave, probably made before 1900. Found it in a garage with the handles rotten and covered in rust. The sole and blade were still good though, so it will be but back to use. It will take some cleaning and perhaps some draw filing and refinishing I think.

It looks like this, but a good deal uglier.

http://www.shorthillstudio.com/store-detail.php?cat=8&ID=14

All hail, the Chinese shovel of doom
[video=youtube;b60OZhrTB6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o[/video]

Oh no--not THAT again! It's the shovel equivalent of the smatchet! :p

That's the best way to look at it, not as a folding shovel but as a shovel that converts to a hoe. Nice adaptation for trail work.

Not to further derail, but I got an old D.R. Barton cooper shave, probably made before 1900. Found it in a garage with the handles rotten and covered in rust. The sole and blade were still good though, so it will be but back to use. It will take some cleaning and perhaps some draw filing and refinishing I think.

It looks like this, but a good deal uglier.

http://www.shorthillstudio.com/store-detail.php?cat=8&ID=14

That looks like a good one, G-Pig!!! I just cracked my spoke shave today...:grumpy: Looking for a replacement...

You just KNOW they're using a fresh one every shot, too. :D

All I know is that I've used enough shovels to last me a lifetime. Only way I'm using a shovel nowadays is if I can't Possibly get power equipment to where I need it LOL

My Dad has a few old shovels/spades that have been making my muscles sore and my hands calloused since I was old enough to pick one up back in the late '80s. No idea what brand they are, but I dont likes 'em! ;)

Hardly unique, but I've been exceptionally pleased with my Cold Steel shovel so far. Suprisingly capable chopper (even though I'm a folding saw sorta guy, myself) and handy for digging out rain lines in the ground (hey, it's Oregon).

I've wrapped the handle in padded sports tape, but that wood still makes me nervous. If I could find an all-steel version, or something with one of those durable fiberglass handles, I think I'd be in heaven.

Also, I have yet to figure out a comfortable way to mount that dagum thing on my backpack. Any tips?

Hardly unique, but I've been exceptionally pleased with my Cold Steel shovel so far. Suprisingly capable chopper (even though I'm a folding saw sorta guy, myself) and handy for digging out rain lines in the ground (hey, it's Oregon).

I've wrapped the handle in padded sports tape, but that wood still makes me nervous. If I could find an all-steel version, or something with one of those durable fiberglass handles, I think I'd be in heaven.

Also, I have yet to figure out a comfortable way to mount that dagum thing on my backpack. Any tips?

How about this one?
88.jpg

As far as mounting it to a backpack goes I'd use paracord through the belt loop with maybe a shock cord retention loop.

Back