The Shovel Discussion Thread!

Solid shanks don't just lend strength--they also make it inherently a closed back. :)

I've personally found closed backs to be very handy in damp heavy clay. In sandier or better-drained soils it doesn't make much difference, certainly, but it's very useful in some contexts.

damp clay does like to stick to all parts, but the problem in particular is when you have a buildup of it in the void on the back of the shovel that's just further clinging dead weight.

I find myself generally to be a big fan of the "rice shovel" pattern, personally, as the triad of holes helps minimize sticking and the small flat spot on the tip of some models allows you to have what is otherwise a typical round-point design that's able to chop through roots without deflecting off of them.

I see that Razorback makes a 40105 clipped point rice shovel with rolled shoulders.
http://www.razor-back.com/tool/shovels-and-scoops/40105-rice-shovel-with-wood-handle/

And also a 40139 Solid tempered shank irrigation shovel.
http://www.razor-back.com/tool/shovels-and-scoops/40139-caprock-irrigation-shovel/

Neither has a turned forward step which I consider mandatory.
I could flatten and sharpen the nose of the superstep round point, and drill 3 holes. But it would still be a heavy shovel.

I have a Bully Tools one that has nice forward-turned steps and a reinforcing rib down the back of the neck.

The rear-facing steps on that Razorback rice shovel make it a total no-go for me. I'd rather have no step at all than rear-facing ones.

Not a solid shank, but welded construction with good beefy welds. Has the flatter tip on it, not the rounded irrigation-style point seen on some. I've put mine through hell and it's laughed it all off. Very sturdy tool.

I pick up every old solid shank shovel, or shovel head I come across at flea markets. Most people don't know the difference in a vintage badass shovel, or a stamped crap shovel. Vendors generally ask $8-12.

I bought 1 of those Razor back solid shank irrigation shovels brand new at a closeout sale a few years ago for $8. I should have bought the whole lot of 15!

I agree with 42 Blades that a closed back is important. We have a lot of clay in these parts and I don't like working with an extra pound of clay stuck in the back of my shovel.

And like Quinton I pick them up when I see them at flea markets and estate sale.

I don't like the shape of the shank on the Bully shovels, but I will try to check them out in person.

My Razorbacks are probably overkill for how I use them anymore but I like them. My woman thinks they are way too heavy but they feel like an old friend to me, so I got her a smaller lighter shovel, problem solved.
If you really need a shovel you can pry with, check out Predator Tools. They're not cheap and they're not light, but they're absolute tanks and 100% steel construction.

The Bully Tools shovels aren't going to win any awards for lookin' pretty, but they're build solidly. The shank on it is plenty tough, and the beam on the back makes it nigh indestructible. The fiberglass handle would bust long before the head ever would.

Back