The Shovel Discussion Thread!

I still use a rice Shovel or a standard Shovel! I sharpen them 3\4 the way up each side and across the bottom. First with a grinder then I keep them sharper with a file!

Last edited:
I'm honestly surprised that rice shovels aren't more common. They're a brilliant compromise for qualities.

I've tried to find a chart of different spade and shovel types but couldn't, anyone know what kind this is ?
( I think it might also be an Ames )

There is a place here that has maybe 40+ old shovel heads cut from dead handles.

Also out back are two on handles maybe 8-10" just sitting in the elements but the grass has grown over the heads far enough I can't tell what they are for sure.
I'd have to be nicer than I usually am to take a look at them.

There is a place here that has maybe 40+ old shovel heads cut from dead handles.

Also out back are two on handles maybe 8-10" just sitting in the elements but the grass has grown over the heads far enough I can't tell what they are for sure.
I'd have to be nicer than I usually am to take a look at them.

bBKODZa.jpg

bR9jj9C.jpg

ewNpQPD.jpg

Those are telegraph shovels and spoons. Used for digging VERY deep holes by hand and extracting the loosened dirt. Not at all inexpensive, and only a few companies still make them at all. When I used to work for the University of Maine doing environmental compliance work with their stormwater systems I used one a fair amount doing inspections of catch basins (storm drains.)

Last edited:
Telegraph shovel cuts the hole wall, telegraph spoon scoops out the dirt.

Back