The "small" knives of HI

I picked up a nice mini Dui Chirra by Bura a couple of weeks ago. Cool little kkuk. Pic in the original thread Here

or, it's all relative. Anyhoo, calling these beauties "small" is only because we've become jaded on khukuris ;)
FWIW, a comparison of :
-2 "small" HI knives- a Kumar Karda from the James Mattis order, and a YCS karda,
-with a Camillus jet pilot's knife and a CRKT Crawford-Kasper tactical folder - neither of which I would consider small enough to display without first cautioning the nearby sheeple :p

DannyinJapan said:
give us a pic of it , satori...

Your wish is my command.

sarge1.jpg

"Over the top". Apologies for the blur on this one.

sarge2.jpg

Pics have been removed due to megapopsicle restrictions.

Kumar Karda by the Amtrack kami with choil, jimping and bloodwood handle added by myself. I made a sheath for it as well but never had the chance to take pictures. This knife did a tour of duty in Afghanistan with a friend from FT Gordon. He asked to buy it before I had a chance to put it up for sale!

shop%20pics%20008.jpg

Steve, great picture! I think I have every one of those knives you show, and not one of them looks as good as any of yours. You really have a gift for bringing out the best in your HI knives, whether it's buffing them up, or treating the handles, or whatever.

Thanks for sharing and giving the rest of us something to shoot for!

Regards,

Norm

The lil' guys of HI will always have a special place in my heart. Not a day goes by that i don't find a use for at least one of them. Great pics Steve et al:) My knives look a lot more used (ie beat to hell) than those beauties. My 3 JKMs fight over who gets used the most, but honestly, the mighty sarge wins out most of the time. Of the little HIs my personal favorite is the beety kerambit. Pound for pound it has to be one of the toughest knives HI makes. I miss mine a whole lot. It's gone to live with Dan for a few weeks to get a makeover and a new sheath:) EDC with style;)

Jake

That's a great looking handle job Roadrunner!

Thanks Norm. I just wish I got to use mine more so they would look more used. I did get to use my Hasiya yesterday to take down some bushes for my wife. Worked great!

Steve

Know I'm a few days late, but finally was able to get some pics taken of the "small knives" I have wedged in between the big ones on the shelves. I wish I could get the handle pics clearer. For instance, the JKM to the furthest left in one of the pics is a pretty purpleheart, but it just shows up dark. And several of the KK's have nicely carved handles, but those don't show up so well either. Need more light!

I won't list them all, just various combos of biltons and baby chits, kerambits, JKM,s, Kumar Kardas, Tez Dars, three kagas katnes, including a little aluminium handled one, three sarge knives and a single Bagh Marne. (and I stuck in a small BDC in one of them.)

Thanks,

Norm

Svashtar said:
Know I'm a few days late, but finally was able to get some pics taken of the "small knives" I have wedged in between the big ones on the shelves. I wish I could get the handle pics clearer. For instance, the JKM to the furthest left in one of the pics is a pretty purpleheart, but it just shows up dark. And several of the KK's have nicely carved handles, but those don't show up so well either. Need more light!

I won't list them all, just various combos of biltons and baby chits, kerambits, JKM,s, Kumar Kardas, Tez Dars, three kagas katnes, including a little aluminium handled one, three sarge knives and a single Bagh Marne. (and I stuck in a small BDC in one of them.)

Thanks,

Norm

Wow Norm! That is an outstanding collection. :eek: I've never seen such variety in handle materials all in one place. Don't you just absolutely love them? And 4 karambits! Look at all the Biltongs! That is just superb.

From the posts I've read from guys who know photography of knives, the best way (if you don't have a light box) is to use a neutral colored background. I used to use a white countertop, and the contrast was too great between the handles and the background. The bamboo curtain I now use works better. Also, if you can work outside, choose a cloudy day, or work in the shade. Those two things have made the most difference for me.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection with us!

Steve

I have a Bilton on the way. It will be my third HI. My other two are a 12" Villager AK and a 12" Sirupati Blem. I'll likely get the 6" khuk next. The big HI's are too big for me.

ferguson said:
Wow Norm! That is an outstanding collection. :eek: I've never seen such variety in handle materials all in one place. Don't you just absolutely love them? And 4 karambits! Look at all the Biltongs! That is just superb.

From the posts I've read from guys who know photography of knives, the best way (if you don't have a light box) is to use a neutral colored background. I used to use a white countertop, and the contrast was too great between the handles and the background. The bamboo curtain I now use works better. Also, if you can work outside, choose a cloudy day, or work in the shade. Those two things have made the most difference for me.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection with us!

Steve

Steve, thanks for the photo tips! That makes sense. I see how clear your photos are on that tan background, and Yangdu's as well on a green mat she uses. I was thinking the white would brighten things up, but I guess it's doing just the opposite. I think Yangdu takes her DOTD pics outside as well. I'll experiment before I post any pics again.

DannyinJapan said:
How many "big ones" do you have???
thats gotta be a big photo...

Danny, all I can say is I am out of space! I have to build a rack similar to what Steve did in order to get them organized. The only space I have is over the closet, so I plan on doing one with the dowels as he posted a pic of in another thread. Right now they are crowding each other, with the swords in my old oak gun cabinet and most of the knives in another display cabinet with the remainder in the closet on top of a wire rack I installed. I cut strips of red oak for the chapes to rest against along the front of the cabinet behind the glass, so can lay them vertically one right next to the other, which 2-3 larger ones laying underneath each row. The trouble is that getting to one particular knife can be a pain, and if you take one out and one falls over the handles can get dinged which I hate, so to get one I have to move a half-dozen.

As to the total #, let's just say that I have a spreadsheet to keep track of them! The only thing I am really missing at this point are any examples with hill walnut handles (loved that Tarwar on the last special than Sweet snagged, but I am tapped out), a 21"-22" horn Chitlangi, a hybrid hanshee, and a Dukti sword, which for some reason has never really "grabbed" me like the Manjushri did.

I know it's extravagant, but I can spend hours in my den, looking for rust, cleaning up and sharpening blades, treating the handles and repairing scabbards, etc. There is always something to work on, and I like having the time to myself, and each one is a jewel, so it's worth it to me just in that regard. And I haven't hardly started giving the wood handles the "Ferguson" treatment as yet. Things like the loose Garud tang pin crop up as the knives get older, despite trying to care for them.

At this point I am trying to save up to get several purchased parts installed on my car, so need to go into low gear and try and get the HIKV into remission for a while!

Norm

That Kumar Karda in Antler is sweet.

What are the specs on one like that? Don't they normally run for around $60?

Thanks.

Norm?

Absolutely wonderful collection! Just wonderful to see and appreciate.

Thank you.

Pardon if I missed it, but are the small, straight knives (Kumar karda etc.) differentially hardened like the khuks?

Back