The small multitool.

I found the small multi tools to be more used than the larger ones.

I love my leatherman ps4 that I ordered another.
09vhm53.jpg

I do not need pliers and when I do there is usually a tool box handy. i need screw drivers, scissors, a knife blade, an awl, and something to poke and prod with. I went with the Pioneer X for this reason. I have had small multi-tools (Leatherman) but they never suited me due to weight or lack of precision. The steel in the Leatherman knife blades is not as good as the Victorinox, either. I do not know how Vic makes such consistently good quality tools at such a low price. If I lose a Vic I am out $20+. If I lose a Leatherman, I am out far more money.

I would like to see Victorinox come out with a mini pliers based multitool similar to the Leatherman Squirt and so forth. SOG has a mini version of their multitool now; it however is fairly large/thick and has many tools on it. Saw one yesterday at Bass Pro but it was in clam shell packaging and as a result I couldn't really handle it. So, I walked. Not going to buy something like that for giggles (yet).

I've had both a little Skeletool and a Squirt on my keys for years.

Originally ordered the Squirt because I wanted pliers, but turns out it doesn't have tweezers.

Gotta admit, I have been admiring the Surge for a while as well.

Although the Squirt is a nice size, I can't get used to the tiny scissors. This is a comparison of two multitools of roughly the same size when folded. My preference is for the Micra, which lacks the pliers but (partly) makes up for it by providing usable scissors.

iqyqKLch.jpg

Although the Squirt is a nice size, I can't get used to the tiny scissors. This is a comparison of two multitools of roughly the same size when folded. My preference is for the Micra, which lacks the pliers but (partly) makes up for it by providing usable scissors.

iqyqKLch.jpg
I love both, but am liking the PS4 a bit more now.
If I really needed a decent little pair of scissors I'd get some slip n snip folding keychain scissors.

I have had a Leatherman Micra for years that I keep in my shooting bag, mainly because the smaller screwdrivers seem to come in handy when adjusting Williams peep sights. I recently picked up a couple of the Squirt P4’s because I liked the tool set better than the PS4. I don’t really use scissors much, other than for fishing line, so I figured these would be more useful for my hunting and hiking pack. Every now and then a little set of pliers would have come in handy. If I’m around my vehicles or boat I’ve got full sized multi-tools and other tools but in the woods I try to keep the weight down a bit. Thought these little guys would work quite nicely.

FF4-F7-C27-0-E06-4000-AE33-41602-A52-FF02.jpg

iqyqKLch.jpg

I really wanted to like the micra but the scissors are useless for me. I even sent back my first micra, and the second was okay but even then just okay.

Only thing that mine can cut is something like zip tie. Paracord cutting is just mush and thread cutting is impossible. Also the knife blade could be much better.

I really wanted to like the micra but the scissors are useless for me. I even sent back my first micra, and the second was okay but even then just okay.

Only thing that mine can cut is something like zip tie. Paracord cutting is just mush and thread cutting is impossible. Also the knife blade could be much better.

Apparently, Micras do vary quite a bit from one another. My Micra, purchased in 1998, has performed well all these years, both scissors and knife blade. While I have no experience with current ones, I don't doubt complaints about scissors and/or blade. Of course, should I ever have to replace my sample, I may learn that things have changed. I hope not, but...:(

Apparently, Micras do vary quite a bit from one another. My Micra, purchased in 1998, has performed well all these years, both scissors and knife blade. While I have no experience with current ones, I don't doubt complaints about scissors and/or blade. Of course, should I ever have to replace my sample, I may learn that things have changed. I hope not, but...:(

My micra was made in 1996 the first year they came out, and it's scissors cut great.
I've sharpened them here and there, but generally I've got no complaints about the Micra.

Generally not a fan of the Micra as I use a pliers far more than a scissors. I am going to have to take a look at the P4. I got a Swiss Tech tool from a knife dealer (freebie) and it is pretty well made. It does not have a blade. I really like the Ps4 Squirt and have one on two car-key chains. So I usually have it with me. The pliers does get gunked up with pocket debris. The knife blade on the Squirt is purely for emergency use only for me as I usually have a pocket knife with me anyway. I am downsizing gradually on the pocket knife in general, and have been carrying the little Vic Small Tinker that I like a lot. There is little I cut that this doesn't do the job perfectly well overall.

I really like my Squirt PS4 since I can access most of the tools without opening it up.

Back