The smell of wood

Today I was out back cutting some wood that I am sending Andy for a couple of knives that I ordered. While cutting some really nice Texas Mesquite I noticed how nice it smelled and I was thinking to myself, boy is Andy gonna have fun working with this wood!

Then I got a phone call and went to the front yard to talk to my neighbor and have a smoke. Next I started to cut a piece of Texas Ebony (Ebano) that is also for the knives Andy is making me. While cutting the Ebony I noticed a very different smell from the Mesquite. It was actually very unpleasant and smelled a lot like dog crap! Now I started thinking to myself, Andy is gonna hate me and I've never even met or talked to him before, because this wood is gonna make his shop smell like dog crap. After I finished the cut I stood there for a moment and was trying to decide if I should even send him this wood, because it really smells bad back where I was cutting the wood.

While pondering my situation, I hung my head down and closed my eyes in deep thought ... when I opened my eyes I saw that there was dog crap on the deck I was standing on! The neighbors dog had dropped a bomb in my front yard and I stepped in it while talking with her.:eek:

I'm happy to report that Texas Ebony does not have an unpleasant smell and I will be sending the wood to Andy tomorrow. Now I will just have to wait my turn in line for my knives to be crafted.

Thats hilarious. Desert Ironwood has the strongest smell of all. Lots of them smell one way or another though. No worries. At least its not antler...

That's pretty good!!

I actually wondered about Mesquite the other day - I've seen some beautiful furniture made out of it by a fella in San Angelo. I can't wait to see how those turn out! And I've grubbed and split enough of it to know that a good dry piece of Mesquite does smell great. I dunno about that crapwood, though! :)

Try working with with mahogany that has been brought down to a really low moisture content sometime and you will think that somebody farted right in your mouth. :barf:

If you're hungry you can always cut/grind a little amboyna (smells like dill pickles to me) or olive wood which smells like ........olives.

I like Tamboti too....smells kinda like good soap !!!!!! :thumbup:

Larry

Ha! Funny stuff! I hate stepping in dog doo. I have two dogs. Very common.

Fresh California Buckeye smells like oysters.

Fresh Pacific Madrone smells like watermelon!:)

Try working with with mahogany that has been brought down to a really low moisture content sometime and you will think that somebody farted right in your mouth. :barf:

HAHAHA! I laughed out loud reading that! :D:thumbup:

lol, that's hilarious.
I agree with Andy, antler is terrible.
One of the worst I've had to deal with is some really old rosewood that I've got. Smells like somebody crapped out the camp fire.:barf::(
Iz

Back