The Sunday Picture Show (February 25th, 2024)

DeSotoSky

Gold Member
view

Hello and welcome to the Sunday Picture Show. Share your Buck knives with others by posting pictures of them here. New or old, plain or custom, user or safe queen, one or a collection, we love to see them all. This weekly tradition was started in 2010 by ItsTooEarly (Armand Hernandez) and Oregon (Steve Dunn). Help keep the tradition alive. Feel free to click that 'LIKE' but lets not let it replace discussing and complimenting each others knives. DeSotoSky (Roger Yost)

800px-Samuel_Colt_engraving_by_John_Chester_Buttre,_c1855.jpg
On this Day, February 25, 1836 Samuel Colt received a U.S. Patent for his revolving cylinder pistol.
Sam Colt (1814-1862) did not invent the idea of a revolving firearm but designed a more reliable firearm using percussion caps instead of the flintlock Collier firearm. He also incorporated machine made interchangeable parts permitting efficient assembly line manufacture. His early business floundered with poor sales and failure to interest the military. All that changed in 1847 with the sale of 1,000 revolvers to the Texas Rangers during the Mexican-American War because Capt Samuel Walker had been impressed with some early Colt revolvers he had used. Colt's patent gave him a virtual monopoly thru the 1850's. Samuel Colt died in 1862 at the early age of 47 as one of the wealthiest men in America. (complications of severe gout) His wife continued to operate the company until 1901 when it was sold to investors.

Colt patent drawings.
Colt Patent USX9430 pg3.jpgColt.Revolver.Patent.USX9430X 4.jpg

Early Colt Patterson no. 5 revolver (made in Patterson NJ)
Colt_Paterson_5th_Model.jpg

One of my favorite Buck 124's celebrating the 150th anniversary of Colt's patent 1836-1986.
The Special Project list says 40 of these were made. This one is #0046/1000 (?)
My recollection is that ItsTooEarly ItsTooEarly has a prototype version with Sam Colts image instead of the "Rampant Colt" image.
Concerning the xxx/1000 serialization, jb4570 jb4570 commented in an old post there was a problem with the project not being approved by Colt, and the project halted.

124.Colt.Stag.01.jpg124.Colt.Stag.02.jpg124.Colt.Stag.04.jpg

Last edited:
Quigley with Colt Revolver.jpg
The best 3:36 minute compilation of Quigley Down Under concerning the Colt pistol.
Knowing this group I'm sure you are all familiar and will agree.

• Matthew Quigley: [Quigley shoots Dobkin, O'Flynn and Marston before they can even aim their guns, then walks up to the dying Marston]
  • I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.
The Colt Armory depicted on the blade was built in 1855 and the building still exists today in Hartford, Connecticut.
Samuel Colt was a progressive employer providing housing and educational opportunities for employees.
He built a village to assist in attracting skilled workers from Germany to work in his factory.

124.Colt.Stag.03.jpg

Last edited:
AN EARLY KNIFE: One thing I can say for certain about the age of this knife is that it wasn’t made this year. Other than that, I would guess about 1946 or 1947. The knife is about 9 1/4” overall with a 4 7/8” blade. The handle is made of Masonite spacers with one copper and two aluminum spacers. This knife has been polished and I have not found any sign of a pinned pommel. The right side of the blade is stamped “BUCK” and the stamp is fairly large—maybe a shade over 3/32”. An interesting, and confusing, detail is that a model number is stamped on the left side. Adding to the confusion is that the model number is ”107”—early catalogs list the 107 with an overall length of about 7” and the similar model 106 with an overall length of about 9”. The sheath may or may not be the original for this knife. It has a flat, painted snap and BUCK stamped on the front of the sheath.

Bert

1 107 right side copy.jpeg2 BUCK stamp 1 copy.jpeg3 Model # copy.jpeg4 Sheath copy.jpeg

Good Morning to All the Buck Nuts,

Happy SPS, thank you Roger for hosting this weekly event. A heartfelt thanks to all who post photos or add the the conversations. As stated before I do look forward to the SPS, you never know what your going to see or learn here.

How about a Colt Python & Colt Anaconda with a Rattle snake 111

Here is my Colt 124 (love this knife)

Colt 110 & 500

Here is a borrowed photo from forum member EEE

The sheath may or may not be the original for this knife. It has a flat, painted snap and BUCK stamped on the front of the sheath. Bert
4 Sheath copy.jpeg
Bert, I would say the sheath IS correct to that knife. The painted snap and BUCK stamped below the opening makes it the earliest sheath variation I know of and is associated with the time period you attribute to the knife.

I would say the sheath IS correct to that knife. The painted snap and BUCK stamped below the opening makes it the earliest sheath variation I know of and is associated with the time period you attribute to the knife.
Roger,
I agree about the sheath, but without proof, I was trying to avoid the fallacy of "guilt by association". There are plenty of examples for a mismatch between a knife and a sheath.

Bert

Back