The Sunday Picture Show (February 4, 2024)

DeSotoSky

Gold Member
view

Hello and welcome to the Sunday Picture Show. Share your Buck knives with others by posting pictures of them here. New or old, plain or custom, user or safe queen, one or a collection, we love to see them all. This weekly tradition was started in 2010 by ItsTooEarly (Armand Hernandez) and Oregon (Steve Dunn). Help keep the tradition alive. Feel free to click that 'LIKE' but lets not let it replace discussing and complimenting each others knives. DeSotoSky (Roger Yost)

Philippine.American.War02-10-1899.jpg

The Battle of Caloocan, February 10, 1899. Major General Arthur MacArthur with binoculars.

On This Day, February 4, 1899 Beginning of the Philippine-American War

This war lasted until July, 1902, but we would be mired in the Philippines for another 44 years after that. The Treaty of Paris (1898) marked the end of the Spanish-American War. The result was Spain relinquished most all of its overseas territories including Guam and Puerto Rico, the US also picked up Spain's interest in the Philippines for $20 million. This pretty much ended the Spanish Colonial Empire and marked the beginning of the United States being recognized as a World Power. The Philippines were struggling and fighting for independence from Spanish rule. Spain, and later, the United States, did not recognize the Philippine Republic's Declaration of Independence in 1898 and the hostilities continued against the United States after our annexation with direct conflict against US Forces on February 4th, 1899. There was some backlash at home as many felt the war and our refusal to recognize the Philippine Declaration of Independence was contrary to our own founding principles and Declaration of Independence from England.
Atrocities were committed during the conflict by both sides, including torture, mutilation, and executions. In retaliation for Filipino guerrilla warfare tactics, the U.S. carried out reprisals and scorched earth campaigns and forcibly relocated many civilians to concentration camps, where thousands died. (Wiki).
Civilians paid a heavy price with a reported 200,000 deaths and unofficially perhaps as high as 1 million. America's presence also caused a cultural change with Protestantism largely replacing Catholicism and English becoming the language of government, business, and education. The Philippines finally gained independence in 1946. Get more of the story below.

Wiki Link

Interesting YouTube content

Chosen for no other reason than it was laying on my desk. Up this week is a "no fuller" 119. 0119BO25 cat #13824. I do like the clean look and wish they would eliminate the fuller on the 117 also. The standard 119 MSRP is $74.99 and if they leave off the fuller it's $99.99. Someone want to explain that? I didn't pay MSRP but BUCK still got me for more than the cost of a knife with the fuller. I just checked and it is still listed on the Web Specials page (now marked down a bit).119.BO25.No.Groove.111723 01.JPG119.BO25.No.Groove.111723 02.JPG119.BO25.No.Groove.111723 03.JPG

Last edited:
Good Morning Gents. Looking forward to taking it easy today and perusing another fine SPS. Many Thanks to Roger and all who participate. Trekked sixteen miles, with a few good friends, on the Little Indian & Indian yesterday. Vantage along for the ride.......
IMG_9726.jpgIMG_9725 (1).jpgIMG_9715.jpg
IMG_9719.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning Gents. Looking forward to taking it easy today and perusing another fine SPS. Many Thanks to Roger and all who participate. Trekked sixteen miles, with a few good friends, on the Little Indian & Indian yesterday. Vantage along for the ride.......
View attachment 2482463View attachment 2482466View attachment 2482465View attachment 2482467
View attachment 2482464
Cool pickups on the sheds.
Wonder how many seasons the stand has seen.
Looks like great hunting ground

The standard 119 MSRP is $74.99 and if they leave off the fuller it's $99.99. Someone want to explain that?
I recall many years ago when a large publication (think city phone book size) went from printed to CD-ROM. No more printing costs, huge decrease in warehousing and shipping costs, and the price went UP $10. I think P. T. Barnum had something to say about that. šŸ˜

Back