Off Topic The term edc and it's usage.

Well here we go, looks like you beat me to it :thumbsup:
I should've done a forum search, but I usually don't find what I'm looking for so I didn't.

I don't really have anything against the term edc, but I've used it a lot and have come to the conclusion that it doesn't really describe my carry of knives.

Some may feel it simply refers to the carry of something, while others may feel it more specifically refers to things always or almost always carried.
Personally I've started to take edc to mean everyday carry, and most of my knives don't fit this so " carry " will work for me from now on.

Btw I like RCR, but that's from being a Dale Earnheardt fan .
No I'm not afraid to admit that I watch a bunch of rednecks drive around in circles :D

Last edited:
Well here we go, looks like you beat me to it :thumbsup:
I should've done a forum search, but I usually don't find what I'm looking for so I didn't.

I don't really have anything against the term edc, but I've used it a lot and have come to the conclusion that it doesn't really describe my carry of knives.

Some may feel it simply refers to the carry of something, while others may feel it more specifically refers to things always or almost always carried.
Personally I've started to take edc to mean everyday carry, and most of my knives don't fit this so " carry " will work for me from now on.

Btw I like RCR, but that's from being a Dale Earnheardt fan .
No I'm not afraid to admit that I watch a bunch of rednecks drive around in circles :D

I really think it's more of a description we can use to categorize our gear. I personally can't say a Buck 119 is an EDC knife because of my jobs, where I live, etc.. But I'm sure other guys can. The term, at least to me, means it's something you CAN carry everyday if you choose to do so...

I EDC too much crap in my pockets. Wallet, keys, knife, light, SAK, derringer, and whatever junk may be in my pockets for that day.

EDC to me is something functional that fits in a pocket/briefcase ie small enough to carry

My understanding of the term "EDC" is based on what I've gleaned while surfing the internet. As best I can tell, it refers to the gear that a person carries everyday as a matter of personal preference. It is easy to carry, and it is well suited for the tasks you are likely to encounter in a typical day. It is not essential like clothing, nor is it mandatory like an employee ID card. It is interesting to note that there are popular EDC forums, and most of their discussion focuses on watches, flashlights, knives, wallets, handkerchiefs, pens, key chain tools, and so on.

Yet perhaps more than the gear itself, EDC is also the philosophy which governs the selection of that gear. What gear am I going to carry on my person today? The answer to that question will be informed by a person's EDC philosophy. One person's EDC philosophy is influenced by a concern for minimalism, so he carries a small flashlight. Another person is concerned about toughness, so she carries a larger, bulkier flashlight.

The same is true for knives. One person will never EDC a knife larger than a Spyderco Delica, whereas another person EDCs a Cold Steel Voyager XL. Each carries a different knife, because each has a different EDC philosophy, and there are numerous factors which influence his or her philosophy.

Again, this is my understanding. The challenge with terms like EDC is that there is no authoritative definition. Usually an understanding emerges as the meaning of the term evolves over time, especially once makers start using it. In this community, an EDC knife is typically one that is easy to carry and that is well suited for the cutting tasks you are likely to encounter in a typical day.

So should a maker categorize a folder with a 5" blade as an EDC? If the maker hopes to avoid confusing potential buyers, then probably not. Yet there are plenty of people on this forum who EDC knives bigger than that, LOL.

Last edited:
Richard Childress Racing

Or is it "Regular Carry Rotation"

Who knows? Meaning lost.

Which pretty much proves my point about the silliness of making up new acronyms when there are existing ones that are widely used and understood. Thanks hickory for helping me do that. :thumbsup:

Whose idea was it to propose a new acronym for EDC in the first place?

So we are still looking for a term/acronym/neologism to describe the concept of having a pocket knife in your pocket?

Or is it "Regular Carry Rotation"

Who knows? Meaning lost.

Which pretty much proves my point about the silliness of making up new acronyms when there are existing ones that are widely used and understood. Thanks hickory for helping me do that. :thumbsup:

Whose idea was it to propose a new acronym for EDC in the first place?

Hickory meant RCR in the context of auto racing though.

I work about 300 days a year. I carry my Spyderco K2 Every Day at work.
When I'm not I rotate my other Spydercos and a traditional or two every now and then.

I have been around long enough to remember when EDC first became a "thing". It first meant what you put in your pants or coat pockets before you went out that day on a regular basis. Wallet, keys, knife, glasses, etc. The most BASIC of your gear that is always on your person.
NOT what you take in your bag, or your car trunk, or your storage shed every day. Pockets only!

Now, it has taken on a new meaning for everyone and is overused and abused by many. I like the old meaning best and try to always KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

It all depends on whether you are using the term as a noun or a verb. I EDC a knife. However, I no longer have an EDC, having gotten twitchy and needing to change it up every so often. I do have a primary carry though, a GEC #73 that is in my pocket 6 out of 7 days.

In the context of this forum, and especially this thread, I've come to the conclusion it can mean anything, and nothing. My preference is nothing.

To me EDC means what it says-something you carry everyday. If it’s something you carry in a rotation, it’s not edc.

Back