The Thermoform (Boltaron, Holstex, Kydex) Sheath Resource and Tutorial

A very good tutorial, very complete. I wish you had thought to lock the thread between each of YOUR entries so it would have been one smooth run without any outside (including mine) comments in between.

Dwayne, if you see this, this thread is probably well worthy of sticky staus.

Paul

A very good tutorial, very complete. I wish you had thought to lock the thread between each of YOUR entries so it would have been one smooth run without any outside (including mine) comments in between.

Paul
I get mobile notifications when someone posts. ;)

Welcome back op, it's hard to focus when you've got health issues for sure. I pray you and yours are well.

Paul

I've attempted to consolidate links and compact the stickies. This thread has been added to the new link list. Hopefully that works for everybody and lets us keep good threads prominent without filling the page with yellow. If not, let me know and I'll re-sticky some things.

Great thread, thanks for posting. I would like to add though that the best thing I have found yet for heating kydex is a griddle like this one, has your temp setting on the side so you can set it around 290 and within a few minutes you can pull the kydex off and lay it in the press, with it out in the open, with mechanix gloves you can test to see when it gets around the consistency of leather and pull it off, you can also take it anywhere, works great and is less then 20 bucks.:thumbup:
f82d47b2b74e0eab9696602c5e836a64.jpg

Nice writeup and thanks for taking the time to do it. I might try out the press method as I already own everything but the foam. The griddle idea is also intriguing.

One item I noticed is where you mention the hardness being higher on the Kydex, etc. That is not the case as the Rockwell scale use for plastics "R" is copletely different from the "C" used with metals, not even close to comparable. If you tried a "C" test on plastic I suspect it would be close to zero. The explanation is certainly valid about debris causing issues and helpful.

Are any out there using vacuum in forming? If so, where is the most economical source for the membrane?

Thanks again,

Dave

Back