The Three Old Timers Of The Apocalypse (and when you carry each)...

A question for those of you who own the 108OT, 34OT, and 8OT. When do you choose to carry one or the others, and why?

My 108OT is for, I probably won't need a "knife" activities but I want something better than nothing in my pocket (going to the movies, lunch with a colleague, Sunday morning coffee at the farmer's market, "city boy" stuff, etc...).

The 34OT is the general off-time pocket knife (motorcycle riding, hiking, fishing, camping, BBQ at a friend's place, etc...).

My 8OT is the pocket knife I keep in on my person at work while having a multi-tool nearby, but not immediately at hand. It's bigger than anything I want to carry in my pocket outside of work.

All of this generally speaking, of course. ;)

Last edited:
I own all three, and actually carry the 34ot most often. It plays second fiddle to my Buck 112 at work. I actually have three of them, and was just thinking about getting rid of one. My 108ot has never been carried. I'm not sure why I even bought it. It's a nice little knife, just kinda small for my taste. If I had to choose only one, it would be the 8ot, hands down. A near perfect Stockman, in my opinion. -Lance

I carry my 44OT once in a while. I don't think an explanation is necessary.

img_2127-jpg.833908

not sure I understand the question/title properly, but if its apocalypse times, a traditional slip joint will be the last knife I'd grab from the arsenal.

not sure I understand the question/title properly, but if its apocalypse times, a traditional slip joint will be the last knife I'd grab from the arsenal.

I wouldn't have to grab it, it would already be in my pocket. My old reliable Walden era 8OT has been in my pocket more than any other two knives I own. 34OT? I think I still have one somewhere. 108OT? Lemme get out my magnifying glass and see if I can find one buried in my stash. I make no promises, and if I do have one I don't know why.

I made do with two pocket knives for years, both Schrades. A 293Y trapper, and a 33OT middleman jack, which is basically the two blade version of the 34.

I've since acquired some 4" Stockmans, and just as with the trapper, find way more use for the long blades. And with a Stockman, you always have the smaller blades to use when that's all you need.

The little guys are so easy to tuck into your guitar pick pocket, that there's no reason not to have one on you. But are mostly only useful for trimming fingernails, or sharpening a pencil.

When the apocalypse comes, I'm grabbing a TL 29.

In past years, when I was working selling drywall and plaster on jobsites wearing dress slacks, I had two EDC pocketknives - an Old Timer 108OT and an Uncle Henry 807UH - both the little 2-3/4" penknife miniature stockman. They worked fine for cutting drywall with the Sheepfoot and the Clip for digging into plaster/joint compound for 18 years (by the time I had lost them both). They will still work, but I certainly prefer to EDC a 34OT size pocketknife today (I carry a Case 18) - nowadays wearing jeans for work. When hunting I like to carry a bigger Stockman, an 8OT or another of equal size works well. OH

I went through an OT accumulation phase a few years back and love them. I don't know how many I have, but there are several 34's and at least one 8. I never carry them because I have too many "nicer??" ones I do and don't carry. Another example of too much stuff.

They are all great patterns with a long lineage and I like them all, having multiple variants of each (some duplicates, some other versions). The 8ot and similar 4" stockmans are my favorite to carry in all circumstances.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but you should see a deer completely worked with a piece of flint/obsidian about the size of a quarter

I did have the chance to see a demonstration by a park ranger at Mesa Verde on the use of obsidian tools. He skinned a rear hunch of road killed deer with a little finger size flake of obsidian that he struck off a larger chunk. It did as well as a serrated edge steak knife. It brought home the lesson my dad was always trying to teach me; that it didn't have to be big, just sharp. I carried smaller knives after that.

I have all three of the knives mentioned. The 108 really doesn’t get carried, even though I have in the past. The 34 would be the go everywhere knife no matter the occasion. Not too small for virtually any task you might encounter when you’re trying not to carry a big knife. The 8OT is kind of an everyday knife around the house, in the woods, working on a project. If I thought I was really going to use the knife I’d have the 8OT.

Back