The True Katana Test: UPS!!

Recently, I saw the Hanwei Moroha Raptor Katana was being discontinued, so I figured I would ask for one for Christmas. My wife got one for me and even though I saw the outer box before it was wrapped and under the tree, I figured it would be okay. I had seen worse boxes damaged by UPS (or OOOPS) before and the item inside was fine. Anyway, below are the pics of what I found Christmas morning:

rDaWc.jpg

The product box looked worse than the outer box, but when I opened it, things got worse...

td8wT.jpg

The poor saya is cracked to hell, but watch what happens when I pulled the sword out...

SWf2L.jpg

AhjE0.jpg

kxgvs.jpg

Don't waste your time banging your sword against a dumpster, cutting down saplings or even practicing tameshigiri to test its strength. Just send your sword out by UPS!! Not only can they snap a blade without a bend, they can transform your katana into a long-handled tanto.

I am waiting on the claim to be put in by the shipper. I had too much luck with UPS lately, so this was bound to happen. My last claim had to do with $3000 worth of computer parts that were "delayed by weather" only to show up in re-taped boxes with over half the parts missing. Oh yeah, there was no inclement weather anywhere in the US during that week of time. Someone just helped them self and tried to get away with it.

Thankfully, all my other bladed toys were fine Christmas morning.

That's one weird break in the sword. Must have hit something hard in the conveyor belts.
Kinda typical of UPS. My friend worked as one of the UPS ground facilities in Texas.

Theft, damage, and "mysterious delays" happened nearly every week. My friend himself told me never to ship anything via UPS that was worth at least $500.
(One of the managers there wore a nice watch... that a customer lost).

Yikes! :eek:
This is precisely why I avoid UPS at all costs. Hope things get sorted out.

I got it from Paul at SBG. I have dealt with him before and he is a great guy. He is already working with CAS since it was drop shipped from their facility. I am sure it will all work out.

This wasn't an expensive sword, but still a nice one. The handle felt nice and solid in my hands, most katana grips feel slightly small to me. I am a bit worried now since I have an order in place for the Peace katana from Bugei. They always ship UPS, but they use over-sized boxes and a really tough foam. However, given the sharp, solid hit that this katana took, I don't think the Peace sword in its solid packing would have survived either.

I know this is why we have insurance, but give me a break!! (no pun intended)

Sad to hear that about UPS, but no guarantee that any other shipping company would be any better. . .bad people are bad people and they make their way into just about any company especially when you are talking on a national scale.

I have had damage of sorts from most carriers over time. it is often the problem with the way things get packed but in the above case, just one of those sad things that can be irritating to resolve. This one looks wierd becase the saya isn't shown in separate pieces but the blade broke?

I receive a lot of antiques and a lot of them without hard scabbards. This one was wrapped in a few layers of bubble wrap on the two ends but quite sparsely in the center.

olg4699_1.jpg

An awful lot of these I get in come in the triangular cartons (all three major carriers) and aside from the ends taking some hits, few of them get mangled in the middle. This one did though.

usps%20001.jpg

usps%20002.jpg

usps%20003.jpg

Pretty much ripped right through (so tumbling in a conveyor makes sense, I guess) and taped back together. Insured but pretty much irreplaceable, as many period swords are one off in one way or another.

The bigger the cost, the more I wait in anxiety until I open the packaging. I had a tv come repacked in peanuts, with the seller offering a warranty. Another one of those shake you head moments.

I hope you recover all cost and faith in shippers

Cheers

GC

Last edited:
The saya is cracked all around the throat and 8-9 inches down. It split in several places and feels like I could flex it rather easily if I tried. If you saw it in person and held the parts, it would make more sense. I think the hit was so fast that the saya cracked and flexed and the sword snapped before it could even take a set from the bend.

I have had damaged boxes from Fedex and USPS in the past, but never had to claim on them. UPS has killed so many things of mine. I have been to their facility out here in San Antonio and they treat their employees like juvenile criminals. I am not saying its not warranted, but when you treat your employees like children and/or criminals, they generally will act like it.

Sorry about your antique, that is really sad.

Don't see that everyday, sorry about that. Sure you can't sell it to someone on ebay as a blunt tanto with a long katana size handle?

Hahahaha, I am too honest, but I am sure someone has tried it before.

I got the replacement in yesterday and it was perfect. UPS didn't bother to pick up the old one since the claim was for so little.

I have to say that this Raptor has such a nice big grip for a katana. I know the katana's we buy today are longer than what was historically made in Japan due to the average American being close to 6' tall, roughly 6'3" for me, but the grips have stayed the same diameter. The length of the grip and blade are not as important to me as the feel of the grip itself. A 6' person will have longer fingers than someone who is 5'6", so compensating for that is a huge plus in my book. Haven only taken a few classes in the past under students of Kuroda Tetsuzan, I am probably not the best person to give advice, however, the grip on this sword is great!!

Paul still has em listed at SBG for pretty cheat under "hot specials" if anyone is interested.

If it helps, I have had luck securing knives and swords to hardwood 2x4s before boxing them up. It increases the shipping cost, but does seem to improve the chance that the object will arrive in good shape.

I have to mention here that the sword (posted above^^^) in the box I received ripped in half and taped was actually unscathed from the event. It was though an uh-oh and dismal look on my face when the counter lady passed me the carton with a bit of a smirk.

Another relative treasure that worried me a great deal was a sword I knew was already cracked when I bought it. Shipped in much the same fashion as many I receive in the magic triangles, it was one that would have benefited from being mounted on a plank and if I ever send it on somewhere else, the only way I would feel secure outside of a hardshell case. (which is how I transport the truly fragile stuff). I was ready to weep when I unpacked the cracked one but got to me in one piece. Cracked halfway across the blade though and wobbly/scary in its bubble wrap.

Some do ship in crates and katana are one type that could easily go in pvc pipes with caps or plugs.

Cheers

GC

I have had so many horror stories from them i REFUSE to ship with them anymore! They manage to screw up so much just not worth even trying.

Weird. . .I have never had an issue shipping with UPS or FedEx. . .of course I'm not shipping fragile swords either, but I have had a LOT of fragile lathe parts shipped without problems.

Back