The Turbine Blade

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
A few years back, I was tasked with making a big blade out of the titanium turbine blade from the engine of a C5 Galaxy. The blade was made, then sent back with a welded pommel piece. It was then heat-treated and left with oxide intact. It seems this unique blade will now be further modified with engraving work.

Here's the story for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/turbine-blade.1422717/

Hello knife fans,

Here's an unusual long-term project that's recently been "finished," a chopper made from a jet turbine engine's titanium alloy intake blade.

OAL is about 29"

acVKgHM.jpg

KnbaUWd.jpg

This was one of those projects where I didn't know what to expect, and it never seemed to be done. Only when I was finishing wrapping the grip, did it become apparent how I could have really completed it. Gonna have to put some more attention into this piece in the future.

It all began when a suspicious and ominous package arrived, containing this:

vN3GdS9.jpg

mX8ecJs.jpg

A cast titanium fan blade from a C-5 Galaxy. According to my sources, this is alpha-beta titanium alloy 6-4-2-4, similar to Ti6Al2Sn4Zr2Mo, but more juiced up. This is basically 6al4v (grade 5) on steroids and pounding protein shakes. Hooray, a new titanium alloy to try, and it's even sort of flat already! What could go wrong? :D

The metallurgists who designed the alloy did a good job - its properties are just what you would want in a turbine blade: very rigid but able to flex, slick and hard-surfaced, yet gummy and resistant to crack propagation. If a bird was going to get sucked into a turbine engine, I'd hope the blades are like this one.

It took NINE German-made reinforced cut-off wheels to get through this blade. It is tough.

YxbVPuT.jpg

The twisted blade piece needed to be flattened. This metal was just obscenely, staggeringly hard to forge. I threw everything I had at it, and eventually it became impossible to continue until I got a real trip hammer running.

yqk0cgh.jpg

Drawing out the boss end into a tang was surprisingly quick once I got it under a Little Giant 50#.

n0Cmsev.jpg

Grinding was a pretty much normal ti pain in the ass. However, this alloy releases a ghastly, poisonous-smelling gas when it's ground. Even a full-on charcoal gas mask couldn't block it out all the way. It makes me appreciate the non-poisonous ti-nb beta alloy I normally work with even more.

uIqJzJe.jpg

Straightening. :)

The blade was convex-ground to zero along its length. It is quite thick by the guard, and tapers rapidly toward the tip.

ITAurac.jpg

Apparently it looks like a "falkri," or falcata-kukri, haha.

fwAUSGd.jpg

MH2HLxA.jpg

Thanks for looking. :) It was quite a project, and much was learned.

-------

"Update! Just got it back from Sam, heat treated/pommel added/balance adjusted...and it's freaking awesome!" -WValtakis

screenshot_20171029-132433-png.789180
screenshot_20171029-132428-png.789181
screenshot_20171029-132417-png.789182
screenshot_20171029-132411-png.789183
screenshot_20171029-132404-png.789184

~Chip

------

Looking forward to seeing how it looks after engraving.

That is super cool, I always like seeing the Ti blades you create. Thanks for sharing!

I can't say it enough, it's an amazing unicorn piece:D

The sheer amount of R&D that went into designing the alloy and blade characteristics is mindboggling...and then we hacked it up to make a sword:cool:;)

The distal taper built into the blade, the harmonic balancing...I maintain GE designed the perfect titanium sword by accident :confused:.

Even the ringing is weird... if you hang it by the pommel and thwack the Blade it's got a normal ring that dies off in about 10 seconds, but there's a dull hum that continues for over a minute:eek:

Thanks everyone! :D

The sheer amount of R&D that went into designing the alloy and blade characteristics is mindboggling...and then we hacked it up to make a sword:cool:;)

The distal taper built into the blade, the harmonic balancing...I maintain GE designed the perfect titanium sword by accident :confused:.

Even the ringing is weird... if you hang it by the pommel and thwack the Blade it's got a normal ring that dies off in about 10 seconds, but there's a dull hum that continues for over a minute:eek:

I want to see that thing engraved with your patterns. o_O

Also, General Electric continues to advance titanium metallurgy, and even researched and proved what I also found - that forging titanium greatly refines the grain size.

Last edited:
Looks like there may be enough propeller left to make another blade and maybe also a lugged spear head type thing from that middle part :)

Looks like there may be enough propeller left to make another blade and maybe also a lugged spear head type thing from that middle part :)
That particular chunk of titanium is Sammy's nemesis...it's basically there just to sit in the corner and get obscenities hurled at it;)

Last edited:

It's got some sustain, eh?

Back