The ultimate Pala Knife - an especially special Gelbu Special

philllll

Gold Member
Just got a package from Malaysia, with very precious contents...

IMG_2429_zps937dc26a.jpg~original

This is a Gelbu by Dil kami, re-handled by Pala when he was visiting the U.S. several years ago. A very special knife, indeed!

Rambutan (Not Lychee) and Dragonfruit shout-out for pk977.

IMG_2437_zpsf774ee1e.jpg~original

Last edited:
That isn't lychee, that's Rambutan fruit. You got the Dragonfruit right though.

Rambutan - The rambutan (/ræmˈbuːtən/; taxonomic name: Nephelium lappaceum) is a medium-sized tropical tree in the family Sapindaceae. The fruit produced by the tree is also known as rambutan.

According to popular belief and the origin of its name, rambutan is native to Indonesia and Malaysia. The earliest record of rambutan trees show that they were cultivated by the Malayan jungle tribes around their temporary settlements, a practice followed to date.[3] Rambutan trees grow naturally throughout Southeast Asia, although its precise natural distribution is unknown.[4] It is closely related to several other edible tropical fruits including the lychee, longan, and mamoncillo.[4] It is native to the Indonesian Archipelago,[5] from where it spread westwards to Thailand, Burma, Sri Lanka and India; northwards to Vietnam, and the Philippines.[4]

A species regularly sold in Costa Rican markets may be known as "wild" rambutan. Yellow in color, it is smaller than the usual red variety. The flesh exposed when the outer skin is peeled off is sweet and sour, slightly grape-like and gummy to the taste. In Panama and Costa Rican Spanish, it is known as mamón chino ("Chinese mamón") due to its Asian origin and the likeness of the edible part with Melicoccus bijugatus. The fruit has been successfully transplanted by grafting in Puerto Rico.[4

In reality it is quite good, and kind of fun to peel.

The blade, what can one say, but, "WOW, I want one just like that!".

Last edited:
Good call, Rambutan it is. Come to think of it, that might be what it was labelled as at the store, didn't look too hard.

Did the tang break? The handle seems about 3" farther forward than it would normally be.

Sweet khuk, Phil. Seems to have a bigger belly than most Gelbu cause mine is quite slender compared to that

I believe Pala used the closed original cho as the first rivet hole.

Come to think of it... my other Gelbu is pretty special, too...

mil1-1.jpg~original

Great collection and pix , thank you for sharing

Bumping this thread because I found this pic on my computer. I don't remember where I saved it from.

pala_zps9f2dfb9f.jpg~original

Looks like he is working on my Gelbu! I can't tell for sure though.

Awesome pics phill... It's always nice to have a story behind the blade. I need one for my collection, custom one offs are def the cats meow!

Great pix and post, thank you for sharing

Back