The Undergrowth Organizer titanium blade

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello all,

If one desires to make a sword, there are thousands of years' worth of sword history upon which to draw inspiration. Beautiful or bizarre, some are perfect and simple weapons, others are festooned with art or pomp, many are the product of countless generations of cultural bladesmithing evolution.

There aren't many historical examples that I don't want to replicate in my own style out of titanium alloy. However, the main pursuit is to develop a fine, well-balanced, tough sword in my own design, that seems to take full advantage of the beta titanium alloy chosen for the purpose. The latest round of this type of swords are about 32" in length, with blades around 24" for one or two-handed use.

Enter the Undergrowth Organizer. These blades are basically sword shapes that are naturally derived from the process of forging the alloy (rather than attempting to match the dimensions of a historical design), but with a simple grip that makes them useable as fancy machetes. Any of them could be further refined into a fully-hilted, balanced small sword, but this is neither necessary nor desired by folks who want to use them as a woodsman's tool, for backpacking or for general choppin' purposes.

An Undergrowth Organizer is normally about the size of a machete. Now, a great customer whose brazen enthusiasm and snide hilarity is nearly matched by his large stature has want of a full-on sword-sized UO. Below are some wip photos of his exact blade being made, that show the current state of the grand attempt to develop the beta titanium sword blade, made as a weapon of old days past.

After a bar is forged into a proto-sword billet with a sword shape encased (with distal taper), the high spots of the silhouette are knocked off.

3jkUjLv.jpg

A dig into the edge begins the blade-grinding process.

Ob41U4F.jpg

I work it into a B.A.R., or "Big-Ass Razor," leaving room for refinement.

BTZQYCM.jpg

When it's getting close, the tip profile is shaped.

coE6zoD.jpg

The tip is still blunt in preparation for heat-treatment.

tYWVI7q.jpg

Here the blade has been worked at 50-grit, and is almost ready for a mark, followed by a bit more refinement at 100-grit, then heat-treatment.

jPoCoKW.jpg

Thanks for looking, more photos to follow on this project.

Hey you focker! What up? Staying healthy I hope... still grinding I see!

Who dat for? I still need me a big ass mecha sword.. BAMS. I know.. dumb. I'm sober too, which is like being high if you aren't ever sober..... so the sense of humor, well, it shows.

Been thinking of you "guys" and wondering when I, or my 2 boys, would be healthy enough for me to leave the house for more than an hour at a time...

This "winter" = sucky.

Looking forward to more of this one and maybe a chance to win it big! o_O

I find an ass-pocket of whiskey cures most what ails ya. The kids will have to stick with chicken soup! :D

Come down and chop some stuff sometime, I need a guest chopper for a vid, you know. Special guest Sloth357 with a titanium sword vs a plastic car ramp!

Looking forward to seeing how this project comes out. What's the longest blade you can make with your current setup?

Everyone needs a BAMS! This particular edged monstrosity is destined for Bladeforums member [CLASSIFIED], a robust and unusual character.

Crimsonfalcon: The longest beta ti blade (as in cutting edge) I can make now is about 28" max, plus a grip of any length. The one above is 22" of curved edge, just over 30" total length.

Everyone needs a BAMS! This particular edged monstrosity is destined for Bladeforums member [CLASSIFIED], a robust and unusual character.

Crimsonfalcon: The longest beta ti blade (as in cutting edge) I can make now is about 28" max, plus a grip of any length. The one above is 22" of curved edge, just over 30" total length.

28" is perfect!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Kohai999, ominously I have a 70%-forged, vaguely katana-shaped billet that is almost 40" in length! :D

After more grinding, the subject blade (center) has been marked, along with two others. Now there will be more light grinding before heat-treatment, followed by more blade grinding and tang shaping! It's easier to make everything look more "crisp" if the final grinding is done after HT.

7fe0TVg.jpg

74x0tDG.jpg

looks simply awesome - yet again ! The bottom blade is most certainly catching my eye as well, looks all sorts of dangerous!!

initial testing proves out beta ti's sick potential...

Is one of those 24-26in OAL :)

We have landed.

Sloth: These swords are all more than 30" in length, but a normal Undergrowth Organizer is about that size!

Lorien: Fantastic. I expect nothing less than cruel and unusual testing while you put the metal to "the Question," HA!

Last edited:
the riddle of titanium...

Is one of these Ti Swords for Jerry Busse?
I have the Ti sword, I need the Ti knife.
Great work, Sammy.
tolf

Mecha-what do you do about dust collection? When I was in the sandbox they were blaming a lot of the Iraqi Crud (lung problems) on "titanium in the environment" (somebody used tracers in a tire-and-titanium plate shoothouse and it burned to nothin', more like it)-but I know it is Not Your Friend if you inhale it.
Nice looking swords.

Back