The weekends are way too short...

... because there's never enough time for leather work! Still try and take some time each weekend to make something though.

Yesterday was this alligator pocket slip for a Chris Reeve Sebenza. Turned out nice. Been wanting to replace the one that came with it but with a little more style :cool: :D

28693204524_6927cd5c9b_b.jpg

28695341693_af9bcfa86e_b.jpg

..and the weekend before was a 2 day tooling marathon to make this sunflower valet tray for my Mom. She was very pleased :). First time working with color dye other than brown and black so that was an interesting experience. Turned out pretty good other than I would make the green lighter for the stem and leaves next time. Still turned out nice.

29001824005_fc4d2254db_c.jpg

Very, very cool. Stitching seems perfect on that slip.

Beautiful work! Those look fantastic.

Thank you!

Way nice!

Todd

Thank you!

Very, very cool. Stitching seems perfect on that slip.

Thank you Dave. Funny story about that... so usually I'd use my trusty stitch groover to mark my stitch line before I sew it on the Cobra. I find it's an easy way to get the stitching exactly as you want. Easy with veg tan but gets pretty tricky with exotics because of the surface hardness, relief, texture, etc. So, I decided to try my guide roller on this for the first time. Worked out great! Will definitely be utilizing it in similar situations in the future!

heavydutyrolleredgeguide.jpg

That stitch guide is great. I use it on each and every sheath. Welcome to the world of advanced technology!!!

Paul

I've got one for the old Ferdco but never use it. Mostly cause its kind of Flintstones technology, certainly not advanced tech like the ones for the Cobras.

I've got one for the old Ferdco but never use it. Mostly cause its kind of Flintstones technology, certainly not advanced tech like the ones for the Cobras.

Was definitely a little nervous trying it on something like alligator for the first time... although I had done a test run with scrap veg tan already... still.

Thats cool. You think that lip on the inset will catch on life? Wonder if a guy could make the inlay smaller so it would be up on the flats instead of the apex of the shaoe and catchable. Whdya think? I really like how this one looks btw. Just dang professional looking right there.

Thats cool. You think that lip on the inset will catch on life? Wonder if a guy could make the inlay smaller so it would be up on the flats instead of the apex of the shaoe and catchable. Whdya think? I really like how this one looks btw. Just dang professional looking right there.

Thanks Dave! Yeah that's a great point and one I didn't think of. This is the hardest part of leather work for me. Planning and forethought (as hard as I try) just isn't my forte. I really wish I could plan things better but that just doesn't seem to the be the case very often.

Well ya wear that one and see if its even a problem if it is ya fix it by making another.

You are very talented. Beautiful workmanship. Looking at that alligator inlay belt sheath makes me think you could make some mag carriers that look like that and make some $$$.

The only problem that tends to pop up with that style stitch guide is on thin leathers (like stitching linings). Cobra has a newer version available if your machine is fairly recent it will already have holes drilled for it up in the neck. This version you can leave mounted all the time because it has springs to keep it up in the neck when not in use, and will drop all the way to the plate so nothing can get under it when locked in the down position. I've been considering modifying my older Class 4 to work with it because of how much I like that feature.

If I had more than one machine this wouldn't be a gripe :D Great work as always!

Back