The "Whatever" Thread

John’s first forged knife.

rbGJYHS.jpg

NY5t6sb.jpg

Jeff

I had outpatient surgery last Thursday. Went back today for a follow up and the Dr said things look good. He asked about my plans for the rest of this week. He told me I could go hunting tomorrow if I wanted but recommended having someone else do the dragging if I killed a deer. I told him I felt fine and would love to get out. I didn't tell him I had been hunting since last Friday morning nor did I mention dragging a little 8 pointer by myself yesterday.

I had outpatient surgery last Thursday. Went back today for a follow up and the Dr said things look good. He asked about my plans for the rest of this week. He told me I could go hunting tomorrow if I wanted but recommended having someone else do the dragging if I killed a deer. I told him I felt fine and would love to get out. I didn't tell him I had been hunting since last Friday morning nor did I mention dragging a little 8 pointer by myself yesterday.

That is awesome. I’m hoping to get into the woods this weekend.

Have any of you tried the Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Apple? Just wondering how it is.
Not yet. I used to put a cap full of green apple crown royal in my cheap stokers dip just to make it taste better. I tried one swig of it and it was gross. So I'd imagine it's just as sweet.

My wife loves the apple flavored smirnoff, but haven't had the whiskey. I don't do liquor anymore, though. I have to think it's a bit sweeter with a bit of a tart flavor, basing it on the other apple flavored stuff I've had. Wife and I like to get some of the hard ciders occasionally and some of those are pretty darn tasty and work nice for a meal beverage.

Something we did try, I think it was a sweet-flavored rum or vodka mixed with blackberry brandy, delish. For a softer flavor, I think cherry pucker and black berry brandy was something weak enough you didn't need to just sip it (I think 50/50 ended up at about 50 proof still).

Have any of you tried the Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Apple? Just wondering how it is.

Hi John -

I have not tasted it - I prefer my whiskey to taste like whiskey lol. However, my JD drinking friends have given the Apple a good review.

I prefer some Single Barrel in some good local-made cider - but to each their own.

An interesting aside, in order to make the "flavored" whiskies, JD is using the Green Label, which was only available in 5 select states. With the advent of the several flavors (fire, honey, apple etc), Green Label is becoming more rare and you cannot buy it in Illinois anymore.

I can still buy it down here in TN though.

Green Label is bottled at a lower "tasted maturity", which does not mean it was aged less, it just does not have the distinct flavor profile to make it Black Label in the "buds" of the tasters at Brown-Foreman.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I spent mine in a hotel room in Manchester - our house is still being remodeled and so Maggie and I are being Gypsies for a while.

If interested, pictures of the ongoing remodel can be viewed at the following link; more recent pictures are at the bottom.
http://iammoon.com/albums/Tennessee House Remodel/

best

mqqn

I saw it at Walmart along with the honey. Not planning on buying it, just wondering what it was like. I haven’t had any alcohol since Brad brought the Bloody Mary stuff to the shop a couple years ago. Not really fun drinking alone.

Nice to hear from you Andy, it’s been a while. Hope all is well with you and the Mrs.

Jeff

Nice to hear from you Andy, it’s been a while. Hope all is well with you and the Mrs.

Jeff

Hi Jeff -

It's been a crazy year for certain. Once we get settled back into the house, I can start getting my knives out and playing a little. I also want to get the Corvette and motorcycles out - the roads down here are spectacular.
Our property has some woods on one end - so I can get out in the small area and play around with knives and start a campfire etc. Looking forward to doing something recreational that does not have a move-remodel-repair bent to it.

best

mqqn

Wow Andy, pretty house, pretty lady, pretty much a busy mess now eh?
Hey, whats the going hourly rate for the skilled crew members doing your work?
What might you say about choosing between TN. FL and AR for retirement? I'm getting pretty old ya know.
Are the natives by you friendly or have they about had it with Yankees moving in?
We have a craft distillery by us now bottling their Pecan Bourbon, pretty nice sippin' fluid. Did not think I would like it, but I do.
Trying to decide if I'm going to participate in the Chicago USMC Toys For Tot's Parade this Sunday, weather looks evil. They have had as many as 70,ooo riders or as few as 20,ooo, depends on the weather.

Back