The "Whatever" Thread

Yea buddy - I sure don't miss all that winter fun up north.
I had to mow yesterday - probably have to do it one more time before December.

We did have one night it got down to 26! That is like dead of winter temps here!

Hang tough my hardy northerner friends!

Got another foot last night. I already had the day off. Kids got school off. Taught my oldest how to conduct a proper chest day in the gym. Then he wanted to learn some basic strikes and a little ground technique. He's turning into me, good thing he's a jr.
i think you are ready for Tai chi now, but only after showing the young pup some basic moves before more aches and pain set in.

Got another foot last night. I already had the day off. Kids got school off. Taught my oldest how to conduct a proper chest day in the gym. Then he wanted to learn some basic strikes and a little ground technique. He's turning into me, good thing he's a jr.

I'll be honest, I'm jealous of the snow you're getting. When I lived on the lakeshore in West MI, we got tons of snow because of the lake effect. Now that I'm on the other side of the state, it's much less and the last 2 years we probably haven't had 2 ft combined for the whole season. It's because I bought snow shoes, I'm sure, but I would like to finally use that darn things. I even kitted out a sled with seats for the kids to get drug around but we just haven't had enough snow to get out on trails with everything.

I never really got into striking but I really enjoyed grappling when I was younger. My dad bod probably couldn't hold up right now 🤣. It's a bit depressing, considering I used to train 6 days a week and now it's 6 days a month. But, the kids won't be babies forever and I'm pretty sure we're capping it off at 3 so once the littlest gets a little older and isn't such a handful, I should at least be able to get out a little more next year. Little Gideon is nearly 1 year... finally.

Oh hey, speaking of winter, I finally want to pony up and get some really nice pants. I have very large legs so I've been very hesitant to even bother trying wool pants but I think I'm finally ready. I have abnormally large legs, good for sports but not for pants, so the stretchy jeans have been a god send. Athletic apparel has always had some give which was convenient but jeans have been annoying as heck until the past few years.

I'm not sure when it happened, but years ago I realized how important it is to appreciate the little things in life. Sitting here in a comfortable chair by the lights of our Christmas Tree while enjoying a cup of coffee and reading online definitely qualifies. I hope everyone has a safe day and a great weekend.

Literally my pride enjoye

I've really pared down my fixed blade collection the past 2 years, at least non-test blades, so these are the onky JK's I still have. But, the JK mud turtle and GKC 24/7 made for me by John aren't going anywhere any time soon. Likely, my most used fixed blades right now.

The twig mangler and mud turtle just got new pants. Not that the twig mangler is easier to carry, I forsee that gett much more time in the woods and yard as well.

20231218_112516.jpg

Not much this group can't handle, outside of axe and machete duties.

I've really pared down my fixed blade collection the past 2 years, at least non-test blades, so these are the onky JK's I still have. But, the JK mud turtle and GKC 24/7 made for me by John aren't going anywhere any time soon. Likely, my most used fixed blades right now.

The twig mangler and mud turtle just got new pants. Not that the twig mangler is easier to carry, I forsee that gett much more time in the woods and yard as well.

View attachment 2427901

Not much this group can't handle, outside of axe and machete duties.
Love it. I literally have thay same pocket slip I recieved in the jk secret Santa a few years ago. I have a clip point element hunter with Maroon linen micarta scales, black liners and black mosaic pins. It rides in my back left pocket with a sharpening rod on saturdays.

Whats every body been up to?

Staying warm 🤣

Got my new to me mud turtle earlier this week. Won't replace the osage one I have, probably didn't need 2, but the price was too good and it's too nice of a knife.

Would probably make a nice "kit" knife in a BOB, get home back, or the family camping oh-shit-kit. I have a mora kansbol in the family camp kit and a shitty buck knife in the get home kit because I thought it was cool but it's completely impractical (boot knife thing) and it turns out that I don't like using tanto blades, especially on a short blade.

Continued prayers for John and his family. I just wanted to keep a good conversation going on John’s site just to let him know we all enjoy his work, how much we appreciate him. So, I wanted to know, what are some of the factors that made his knives so good? how did he get the best out of 01 steel?why do we like them so much? I am sure we have many knives from other makers, etc, but why do we find ourselves going back to his knives? For me, they are designed to be used, practical in shape and form and yet still contain a look that is aesthetically appealing. They are also affordable and a great bargain for the quality you receive, a custom knife that people can afford, i reach for them because I am not afraid to use them and it is such a good size. So….I would like to hear how you have enjoyed your JKs and any stories that you can share. Please share.

Last edited:
Back