These Crazy Times

I just realized something, that at least to me is just pretty much insane. I live in NJ. I have a client I do work for based in NYC. At this time it is actually cheaper for me to drive into NYC and spend a day working there with them than to work from home.

For reference the relationship has been there for years, and I was only invited to the client office at most once a year.

I have no idea what I have done in this or any other life to be so fortunate. Basically they pay for my miles, tolls, parking, and provide meals in the office from a private chef (and I mean solid meals, plus snacks).

I never thought I would see a day where staying at home would be more expensive than a trip to the city. But then again I guess historically for me big reasons to go into the city were knife shows where I just spent all of my money.

It also makes me feel really bad for those who are struggling to make ends meet, I mean I don't think am all that special. Only thing I can think of is that I don't really (nor have I ever) drawn hard lines between work hours, so meaning if I see a mail/call/text/whatever I will respond regardless of the time of day, if I am on vacation, etc. Maybe that means more than I thought?

I am still just trying to deal with my reality of commuting from NJ to NYC is of an apparent benefit to me, guess the final say is to see what the tax man takes.

Or is the punchline that I am the fool, and actually on the lower bid side for actually going in and seeing people in this pandemic? And should I care as I was getting ready to explode being in total isolation anyway?

Oh and before anyone thinks I am some kind of saint, at least once a month my boss tells to to cool it cause I am being an ahole.

What could make your expense so high staying at home?

When he goes into the city, everything is paid for. At home, he has to eat, use electricity, etc which he doesn't when he goes into the city. And he pays for all that out of his own pocket.

Well it sounds to me like you have a good gig going, so take advantage while you can!
I work in medical, so my job and life have essentially remained the same as before, with the added inconveniences of medical facility isolation procedures and restrictions, so there has been no financial change, except that I could have had many more hours, had I wanted them.

With as crazy as things have become (as far as I am concerned), it's like waking up in the Twilight Zone every morning.....or maybe Ground Hog Day. Haha

Back