Thick fixed blades

I want to get a new back up fixed blade, but I need it to be 3" or shorter.

Any recommendations on a heavy, stout blade with full length handle, but a short blade. When I mean stout, I mean really stout and with some heft.

Price range would be <$200, of course the cheaper the better.

Chaxknives.com - Little John. VERY STOUT, and relatively inexpensive - you should have someone do custom kydex/leather work on it though... it might need a little reprofiling too, to get it where you want it (for intended purpose). However, I would highly recommend you ask around (of course) to find out where else you might get something like this... a cheap custom cleaver sounds like just the thing to me (or a hatchet ;)).

Have Justin, the owner of Ranger Knives makes you an RD 3. That WILL be a stout and thick, and tough as all get out blade!

I'll second the recommendation for the Ranger RD-3, 3.5 or 4. I've got an RD-6 and RD-7, and believe me, these knives are tough. I plan to get an RD-4. A 1/4" thick 5160 blade on a 3" knife would be beyond stout.

Go look at www.rangerknives.com

Plus, Justin is great to deal with, and backs his knives up 110%.

Right now he's in the process of moving, so if you don't hear back from him right away, give him some time.

Wow. thanks guys. I learned something new today. I'd never seen Chax knives. Good looking knives at a great price. I think I'm going to go for one of his models.

thanks. i'll keep checking this post for a few days, if anyone else has any comments.

Take care
BJ

You should definitely check out the Entrek Badger....one hell of a stout little blade.....comes hair popping sharp from the factory as well.

Several of the smaller Himalayan Imports smaller knives fit the bill. Check out the JKM and Sarge knife, especially.

You should definitely check out the Entrek Badger....one hell of a stout little blade.....comes hair popping sharp from the factory as well.
I've had good luck with my Entrek and can recommend these knives....mine, I believe, is called the "Companion"....with a blade just under 4".
The "Badger" that bigbcustom mentioned has a blade just about 3" in length. Roy uses
stainless 440C for blade steel which has a good heat treat and has a nice balance between hardness and edge holding ability. I never realized how good 440C is until I used an Entrek ! And Entreks ARE stout...like a sharpened pry-bar. I wasn't sure I was going to like mine but after a 7 day wilderness canoe trip down the lower Rio Grande canyons above Big Bend I grew to appreciate it's attributes. They're reasonably priced too....eventually you will want to replace the sheath however...it's serviceable but not very esthetically pleasing. As bigbcustom said, they come sharp. If I were to do it over again I might look real hard at a Bark River....Bob's got so many models now and some of the handles on his knives are really remarkably handsome.
I hear Swamp Rats are tough little buggers too...don't know if they make a 3" blade or not but you might check out their web site.

-Best regards

Back