Thing inside the corkscrew?

Fisher of Men

Banned
I've been browsing a bit and I noticed that on the SAK's with the corkscrew, some folks have something either in or on the corkscrew. What is this? Is it to protect it or something? I have a SAK Climber and I don't have anything in the corkscrew. It just sits there.

Just curious.

Thanks,
David :)

Fisher of Men,the grey plastic thing you are seeing is a small screw-driver that threads into the corkscrew.Comes in handy to tighten eye-glasses screws.tom. :cool:

Hi Fisher of Men --

I've just been looking at the Victorinox web site to see if they had a page that mentioned the small eyeglass screwdriver. However, on that above web page, I found that the Swiss Champ, the Work Champ, and the Time Keeper are three current SAKs that include the corkscrew-fitted eyeglass screwdriver.

Does anyone know why each SAK that includes a corkscrew doesn't also include the "mini-screwdriver?" That would seem to make sense to me.

GeoThorn

I have purchased an SAK before that did not have an eyeglass screwdriver in the corkscrew. Since I wear glasses occasionally and it takes up no extra space, I decided to order one separately. I have now ordered three total from REI and Swissknifeshop. I put one in my SAK that did not have one, and the other two went in my two Leatherman Juice XE6s. They all fit perfectly and take up no extra room. They cost around $3.50 which is kinda expensive but invaluable if you ever wear glasses. I'm not sure if Leatherman even makes their own but the Victorinox version fits in Leatherman products just fine.

heathah said:
I I'm not sure if Leatherman even makes their own but the Victorinox version fits in Leatherman products just fine.

Victorinox have a patent for the small screwdriver that fits in the corkscrew hence you only find it there. Use the magnifying glass found on certain Vic models & you can read it says Pat. on the screwdriver.
justin case ;)

Any Victorinox model has an eyeglass screwdriver (if you have tweezers). If you will take the tweezers and spread the 'legs' a bit, you can use one leg to tighten your eyeglasses screws.

I use the method on all my non-corkscrewed models; i.e. hiker, deluxe tinker...

I like that little Vic screwdriver, I always buy one and add it to models that don't have it. I have found that it fits in my newer Wengers but not in the older ones, it also fits in my old Boker folding hunter.

Luis

Saunterer said:
Any Victorinox model has an eyeglass screwdriver (if you have tweezers). If you will take the tweezers and spread the 'legs' a bit, you can use one leg to tighten your eyeglasses screws.

I use the method on all my non-corkscrewed models; i.e. hiker, deluxe tinker...

Great idea, but it doesn't work on my eyeglass screws. Your tip is worth worth tucking into the memory bank, though, because you never know what might come up.

justin case said:
Victorinox have a patent for the small screwdriver that fits in the corkscrew hence you only find it there. Use the magnifying glass found on certain Vic models & you can read it says Pat. on the screwdriver.
justin case ;)

Thanks for the update. I wonder what they paid for a patent on that little fellah. It's crazy how something so small can be worth so much.

For US, EU/PCT and major world markets, figure about US$35,000 total including legal costs and issuance fees. A single instance of international litigation to ENFORCE that patent could, however, cost upwards of US$300,000. I suspect, however, that Vic can afford it...

Given the purchase of Wenger, you may see Vic/Wenger attempt to pursue additional "famous trade dress" protection on the whole red scales/cross appearance. In this case, I say more power to 'em - the copycat crap is embarassingly bad. A quick look at Ebay will indeed show false representation of lowest-bidder Chinese copies as "Swiss Army" knives.

This is NOT legal advice - I am NOT a lawyer! (but I do have eight patents)

Back