Things I have learned using Becker knives

The most significant attribute of Becker knives is that I am willing to use them. I have knives that I simply will not use. What good are they? Conversation pieces, I guess.

Would I buy the original Kephart knife used by Horace Kephart? Nope.... I wouldn't use it and it would make no sense what so ever to buy such a knife for me regardless of the cost which I think would be high.

I have never found the ultimate knife or what some people refer to as "the one". I quit looking or even considering this as something attainable or even important. Doing this kind of thing is mostly for hobbyist fun. Nothing more. I want knives that I am comfortable using if I want to and knives that work for the task at hand. Becker knives in general fulfill those attributes at an affordable price. I think that is precisely what Ethan Becker was trying to accomplish with his knife designs.

Y YellowSwiss You posted a very nice summary on Becker knives. It is well thought out and pretty comprehensive relative to your appreciation of the Becker line.

Last edited:
Thank You for that. :)
I love my Beckers too, Thank you Ethan.

I have gifted quite a few Beckers and every time I get feedback later that the knives are awesome and they use them and show them off, and their friends want one now:)

As I said before.

Eh' they work.

Should of elaborated that Mr. Becker designed knives that "Work for a Living". Decent SERVICEABLE steel, good for exteneded wilderhood romps as it can be sharpened on a rock or broken ceramic mug if need be. (And they wonder why I told them to keep their broken mug, they thought I was an anti-litter bug bug, but they found out my sort of sharpening skills worked sort of with the broken mug. Once again some one must of taken out the sharpening tools from that jaunt...yeah that's it!)

I myself pair a BK with the more dedicated chopper, with multi-tool and dedicated hacker that the BK can do the hacking when needed.

Yes handle does come as an important factor I found with my exteneded use of large knives.

So far most useful BK is the 4, good medium (Others would call it HEAVY) use. It gets a straight edge 9 tossed along side of it as really they aint' that heavy, this is with of course the heavy SP-51/53 chopper (SHORT HEAVY MACHETE). But the MOST important woods took..is A SAW with EXTRA BLADES! The more wimpier folks like the BKs due to handle and light and such when they help out at the sight or trail maintenance.

After reading this basic love fest for the Becker knives I ordered my first one today. Been knocking around the woods for many years and just found out I'm a "bushcrafter". Thought I was just a woodsman. I have been reading up on the Beckers for a couple of months so I'm really glad I found you guys. I ordered the Bk7 and I look forward to it coming in. I have a question. Should I go ahead and strip the epoxy paint off for food prep or is that stuff safe to leave it on? Don't care so much for myself but my girlfriend is a real youngun and I don't want to get her sick. Looking forward to the snarky respondses I'm likely to get but I'm an old dude, I can handle it.

After reading this basic love fest for the Becker knives I ordered my first one today. Been knocking around the woods for many years and just found out I'm a "bushcrafter". Thought I was just a woodsman. I have been reading up on the Beckers for a couple of months so I'm really glad I found you guys. I ordered the Bk7 and I look forward to it coming in. I have a question. Should I go ahead and strip the epoxy paint off for food prep or is that stuff safe to leave it on? Don't care so much for myself but my girlfriend is a real youngun and I don't want to get her sick. Looking forward to the snarky respondses I'm likely to get but I'm an old dude, I can handle it.
Congrats on the 7 :thumbsup::thumbsup: I don't think you need to worry about the coating as much as what's left on it after you use it :D It's a rough texture and stuff gets stuck on it . Just wipe bad stuff off and it should be fine for food . I would use it like it is and see how you like it . You'll have Plenty of time to change things up later to your liking :thumbsup::thumbsup: Lots of options take your time and enjoy it :)

Howzit going and welcome to BladeForums!

Becker’s are pretty easy to strip. I can understand not wanting to ingest the coating. It may cause side effects like wanting to baton large stumps or grow excessive chest hair. I think Ethan puts some special sauce in that epoxy. Might not be a good look for your partner. ;):)

I love the BK7. It hits a lot of the right buttons for me. The next addition I hope will be a Azwelke sheath. Been saving up for one. I think a BK and one of his creations is like peas and carrots.

I look forward to seeing your content and thoughts after your new knife arrives.

the becker traction coat is fine for food prep use -- but you might want to polish it a bit with some wet/dry sandpaper so it's easier to clean while still protecting the steel from the elements.

the becker traction coat is fine for food prep use -- but you might want to polish it a bit with some wet/dry sandpaper so it's easier to clean while still protecting the steel from the elements.
I sanded this 16 to see how it would work out . It's not perfect but do believe it's now easier to clean off stuff if it ever gets used . But it still has good protection while waiting for use it's my wife's knife :p here's a pic to give you a prospective
IMG_4721.JPG

Oh you done opened the floodgates now; the 7 is a great knife. Pretty soon you’ll want a 9, then a 2, a 16, etc. :thumbsup:

Seriously, enjoy your new blade. It’s a keeper. :)

Back