Thinking about making a chopper (angle grinder only)

So yeah, I like choppers, so I get this idea on making one. Here is the basic design. What do you think of it?
onmfJwG.jpg

Handle is/will be subject to change. I am going to make a wooden model to feel how it is like holding it.
HT is going to be done in one shop, so no worry in this part.
Steel will be O2 tool steel.

My question is, do you ever tried to make knife this big only with angle grinder? If so, do you think that going for 6 mm (0,23 inch) stock is too much work with angle grinder, or is it better to stick with 4,5 mm stock (0,177 inch).

I have made a big bowie from a truck leaf spring and an integral chef knife from 1" by 2" o1 all with an angle grinder but I done the finishing on a belt sander
As to 6 or 4.5 mm I don't know enough about choppers to say but any size is doable with an angle grinder

sure you can use just an angle grinder but obviously it will be roughly finished, and the roughness of the surface might cause a problem in the quench. a surface below 120 grit in smoothness may be a stress riser for possible cracking when quenched.

After you get done with the basic shape with the angle grinder use a file to flatten the surface of your bevel.

Use a technique called “draw filing” to accomplish this, you can get it really flat and consistent with this technique.

Here’s a video on how to do it.

I was just about to mention draw filing as well, it's a great tool and technique to use for flattening and cleaning up lines. I usually "draw" the file towards me, which means I hold the tang in my left hand since the file teeth cut better in a specific direction. I wouldn't use a bare hand to clean the file and blade though as the video above, it seems like an easy way to get some really annoying steel splinters in your hand, especially when using a single-cut smooth mill file.

You can lightly "tap" the top corner (the area without teeth so not to damage the edge teeth) of the file a couple times on something hard like the foot of a vise and most of the swarf will fall out.

You can also use the draw filing to convex or roll in the edge area just by slightly changing the angle of the file as you pull, which will create a number of really small facets and can then easily be blended in while sanding with coarser grits.

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

Steel came today, so I made a bit of work
g0aLwvt.jpg

But the most challenging part, beveling the kinfe, is still waiting.

Just a question, what do thing about a handle material for a chopper?
I was thinking about micarta, but I cant buy it in thickness that I really want (only 8 mm thick, so it will be only about 24 mm, 1 inch thick overall). But I can buy some recycled rubber, that is used quite often in choppers. Cheapest option would be some hard wood (oak, birch....)

One inch thick is plenty. I’ve got pretty big hands and much bigger handles start feeling pretty chunky.

Go measure how thick your hammer handle is really quick.

Back