Thinking about picking up a Survive! Please help!

I'm thinking about the bushcrafter since that's the only one in the size range I want and is available for preorder. I'd really love a 4.1 or 4.7 though. Question...how quickly do they typically sell out after preorder is fulfilled? Also, are there any photos or threads with a bushcrafter prototype? Thanks in advance!!!

They are ALL great knives. It seems that the new 4.7 or 5.1 are the ones that are most readily available on the secondary market, here & on on flee-bay, and are a bit expensive. You should also be able to find a GSO 5, which is bigger than a 4.7 but a GREAT knife, for a reasonable price. More GSOs, both old and new, will surface as more 4.7s and 5.1s are released.

I found S!Ks just as the original batch of 5.1s sold out. I was pretty bummed. It took me about 2 to 4 months to find one for sale. It was a 6 and was much bigger than I wanted, which was a 4.1. So I figured I'd flip it if I thought it was too big. Needless to say I still have it and was glad I found it. If you can't wait but want a good bushcrafter knife try a Battle Horse Knife or an LT Wright Knife. I have the LTWK GNS. Fiddleback makes a beautiful knife too but are expensive. But I suspect the GSO bushcrafter is going to make waves when it comes out, especially if he offers it in CFV, 20cv and 3v, and has the handles and scales of the 4.7 At that point you'll probably want to sell your "other" bushcrafters. It's just going to take months to get it produced and it'll sell out fast.

So long story short, if you want one you'll have to pre-order and wait like the rest of us. Just my opinion but I don't think I'll see my 4.5 until the fall or early winter. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
... Just my opinion but I don't think I'll see my 4.5 until the fall or early winter. I hope I am wrong.

Not wishing to come across facetious, I refrain from playing the clown for a minute regarding this comment... Do you really think we may see a 4.5 in the Fall or Winter of this year? Again no agenda or wishing to whip up a storm but I was optimistically thinking the same seasons but wrong year!

Hey, hey! I didn't buy the last 2 or 3 on the exchange! And you don't know what I look like; that doll could look like Silver!

This explains the sudden pain in my neck, back and testicles...............................

To murderedsongbird: do you seriously live in Morro Bay??? I just saw Finding Dory on Monday..... anyone else get the connection? :D
You've gotten some pretty comprehensive advice so far. You definitely have options. Be sure to stick around and let us know what you end up with :thumbup:

Not wishing to come across facetious, I refrain from playing the clown for a minute regarding this comment... Do you really think we may see a 4.5 in the Fall or Winter of this year? Again no agenda or wishing to whip up a storm but I was optimistically thinking the same seasons but wrong year!

I hope so but I wouldn't be surprised if it went into 2017. They have a bunch of other irons in the oven:

Finishing up:

GSO-4.7: Preorders and Presale orders are shipping out in regular batches.
GSO-4.7 Cru Forge V: R&D Presales shipping after the Cerakoting has been completed. More will be available after those ship.
GSO-2.7
In Production:

GSO-4.1: Finishing up at heat treat
GSO-7/7
GSO-3.5
GSO-12
GSO-6
Available for Pre-Production Ordering:

GSO-4.5 Bushcraft Knife
GSO-10
GSO-8

I'm thinking about the bushcrafter since that's the only one in the size range I want and is available for preorder. I'd really love a 4.1 or 4.7 though. Question...how quickly do they typically sell out after preorder is fulfilled? Also, are there any photos or threads with a bushcrafter prototype? Thanks in advance!!!

First thing first, I have not read all the thread, just making a quick reply for you based on the OP.

Carefully consider your budget and level or patience. If you NEED a knife to use soon, or even this year, forget the 4.5 BC. There is no prototype that has been made public, if one exists at all. I would be SHOCKED if it was ready to ship in less than a year.

If you are thinking you actually prefer a 4.7 or 4.1 and not picky about getting a 2nd, or paying above pre-order price start hitting the exchange or the big auction site as the 4.7 is available this way now. 4.1 will be this year I expect but obviously cannot guarantee.

No regular ordering has been made available after a model has hit production as this process is still very new. So there is no way to tell you how that is going to work out now.

Murderedsongbird,
I made an earlier statement to buy a factory second with confidence and that the blemishes were usually hard to spot. I just got my second knife from a Monday sale - a 4.7 in 3V factory 2nd (first one was a 5.1). On my 5.1 I simply cannot find the blemish. I have been around custom metal fabrication my whole career and have some sense of what to look for. Nothing catches my eye on the 5.1. Below is a picture of the 4.7, and in my opinion the flaw in front of the handle is certainly visible and cause for rating it a second. I have had the handles off, and this is the extend of the blemish - it does not extend under the scale. It is approximately 0.125" long by 0.040" wide by maybe .010" deep. To the eye it looks like a divot (not porosity). I have zero concerns about it and don't mind the blemish at all. There is a thread around here about these sorts of blemishes, and I'd venture to say this is the worst one I've seen. If this is the worst - big deal! (in my opinion). Several guys will tell you even their visible blemish would pass for a 1st anywhere else. Just thought I'd share so you get a sense of what you may be getting if you opted for a second - somewhere between indiscernible and this.

As long as you don't mind waiting...maybe for a long time i'd order just what you want.

Murderedsongbird,
I made an earlier statement to buy a factory second with confidence and that the blemishes were usually hard to spot. I just got my second knife from a Monday sale - a 4.7 in 3V factory 2nd (first one was a 5.1). On my 5.1 I simply cannot find the blemish. I have been around custom metal fabrication my whole career and have some sense of what to look for. Nothing catches my eye on the 5.1. Below is a picture of the 4.7, and in my opinion the flaw in front of the handle is certainly visible and cause for rating it a second. I have had the handles off, and this is the extend of the blemish - it does not extend under the scale. It is approximately 0.125" long by 0.040" wide by maybe .010" deep. To the eye it looks like a divot (not porosity). I have zero concerns about it and don't mind the blemish at all. There is a thread around here about these sorts of blemishes, and I'd venture to say this is the worst one I've seen. If this is the worst - big deal! (in my opinion). Several guys will tell you even their visible blemish would pass for a 1st anywhere else. Just thought I'd share so you get a sense of what you may be getting if you opted for a second - somewhere between indiscernible and this.

Sorry to pull rank on you but I am certified to handle such knives and since this blade is clearly defective I feel it's my duty to offer purchase of it immediately for your own safety. Should you have feel inclined to decline my generous offer please remember safety first so hand over the knife!

Last edited:
Sorry to pull rank on you but I am certified to handle such knives and since this blade is clearly defective I feel it's my duty to offer purchase of it immediately for your own safety. Should you have feel inclined to decline my generous offer please remember safety first so hand over the knife!

It does look like it needs a 100 point inspection by a certified Survive! technician.

Back