Thinking outside the box

Ah, the box, we are all in a box, but we are only in boxes we allow ourselves to be in, some of us like them and need them. The definition of what a knife is, is a box. If you forge wood chisels too, you are not in that box. Women put us is a box but that's a discussion for another forum. I am not a man that sits still, well in a box, I hate boxes. Some boxes are good, the ABS is a box, it can teach us to be better knife makers, but I hate to be tethered. When I am ready to sit still in the ABS box, I will, ( I am an apprentice member now) and then jump out of it on the other side a better knife maker, but I willingly admit up front that I will have trouble staying within all of the sides of that box. May we all be happy in our own boxes. Mark

toon121.jpg

In the past two months I have devoted my time to reading over 3,000 pages about General George Patton. He says it, it has been repeated throughout history - "you aint nothing unless you are you."

Mr. Fowler, have you read "The War as I Knew It", supposedly taken from GEN Patton's diaries. A very good read and offers a lot of insight into his thinking.

I am just finishing the "War Years 40 - 45", "Target Patton" - a book claiming he was assassinated by the powers that were, Farrago's book and "Patton a study in command" and his "papers from 1895 to 1940", "The war as I knew it " is in the mail plus another book As I remember anecdotes about him. From what I read "The War as I knew It" was heavily censored, many feared what he would say in the book he was planning to write.

Ever so slowly I am getting to know him and can read between the lines pretty well. I can recommend "Target Patton", when you put them all together some of the Folks we considered heroes look to be something else. From what I read, Patton coined the phrase "Iron Curtain" years before Churchill Claimed authorship.
Patton also predicted the cold war. The die was cast when Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin met early in the war. Patton claimed he could have ended the war a year quicker if they would have listened to him, and saved many thousands of lives, I believe it!

All in all a brilliant man and without reading about all warriors of history feel he was unequaled.

Thanks for the suggestion, I look forward to getting the book, should be here Monday.

Years ago I visited Fort Knox, quite a memorial and well worth the visit.

I believe that 'being you' is a ever changing process, we cannot read too much, Patton was still studying history at the time of his death. Not dates or trivia, but the lessons to be to be leared from it.

I used to preach studying history to my troops. There's a reason most soldiers are students of it. Nothing is new and there are situations from the past that are very applicable to current situations.

For an example of what happens when one thinks outside of the box, Check out Kim Breed's article on George Lambert's fillet knife.

I just read that article.
I NEED one of those knives.
Does Mr Lambert have a website or email address?

Back